Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Peter, can you explain while collaborating with Intel on ofono, moblin, maemo, etc, why have you chosen Windows as the operating system and not use the various linux options you have ready at your disposal?
I'm not Peter but I can try to guess:
Probably because Ovi Services don't work with Linux. Hopefully this will change in future.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
With all this excitement about new devices, new operating systems, new shiny whatever, a plain simple netbook with Windows is a little bit... boring. Might be a good device, we don't know the specs yet, but still... yet another one.

I hope this is just Nokia testing this form factor before they show something more exciting and innovative.
Making money isn't always about being exciting and innovative.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Peter, can you explain while collaborating with Intel on ofono, moblin, maemo, etc, why have you chosen Windows as the operating system and not use the various linux options you have ready at your disposal?
We will provide more details at Nokia World, when we showcase the Nokia Booklet 3G for the first time. That will help to understand why we use different operating systems for different consumer needs.

Originally Posted by ColonelKilkenny View Post
I'm not Peter but I can try to guess:
Probably because Ovi Services don't work with Linux. Hopefully this will change in future.
They work in Fremantle (as far as the leaks have shown).
And what does it mean "don't work with Linux"? If they can work with Symbian, they can be made to work with Linux.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Or better yet, can you say how well the hardware is supported in common linux distributions? I guess there's no hope for official support for linux because your collaboration with MS, but I'm thinking Nokia could easily select components that have good support on the free platforms as well. Congratulations on your new device category anyway.

By the way just yesterday I saw a man standing at a boat terminal holding a mini laptop on one hand and operating it with other. It seemed really awkward and I kept thinking that what he really needs is an Internet tablet

edit: Oh - you had already answered by the time it took me to write this

Last edited by Naranek; 2009-08-24 at 12:10. Reason: too slow

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
They work in Fremantle (as far as the leaks have shown).
And what does it mean "don't work with Linux"? If they can work with Symbian, they can be made to work with Linux.
As you have said:
they can be made to work with..
This have a cost in terms of money and time, and it seems that Nokia is taken its time and saving as much money as possible while keeps product lines growing. If you want to release NOW a mini-laptop that integrates with every Nokia service (OVI, mobile phones, etc.) it should run M$ Windows. Sad, but true.

Looks good, I need a small laptop running Windows (for my sins).

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
UMPC Portal has an article of breaking news revealing the Nokia Netbook details.

12 hour battery life? EXCELLENT
10″ display? good
regular netbook (as opposed to convertible tablet netbook)? disappointing
Windows? no thanks

A Maemo or Ubuntu netbook from Nokia, in a convertible tablet format, would have been a dream. It may have kept from going back to Apple (if their 10″ tablet turns out to be true). But this thing? no thanks. Not even close to what I want.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA

They only need to write the map plug-in for the extra features like 3D and what not. But with a switched user-agent on linux you can use ovi maps for example.