Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland

NoNONO... it can't be true..?

Intel Atom???.. Win7.. >.< ohh, i guess that's what i should have expected from Nokia/Intel Co-operation

Stylish aluminum casing with slight Nokiaesque bulk (correction: at less than an inch thick the thickness is merely a visual illusion due to the straight edges); hopefully run-of-the-mill innards which would more or less guarantee Linux-compatibility; unappeasingly huge bezel (looks like an inch at the top and bottom, and almost half an inch on the sides; would fit an 1366x768 11.6" display with ease in think). There's a headset plug but where's the mic plug? (hopefully not another proprietary Nokia mic/headset combo plug??)

Nokia Booklet 3G? Nice brand, but where do they go from here? 3GS?

Dell (Mini 11z), HP (Mini 5101) and others will be tough to beat in the volume game. Samsung is likewise offering (as usual) multiple fairly competitive netbook models, with a recent cheaper Linux/FreeDOS edition of NC10, titled ND10, now available in the People's Republic of China.

Even telecoms have branded netbooks available these days, direct from 2nd tier Taiwanese ODMs.

Still, it's about time Nokia takes the likes of Samsung (and soon Apple) head on in the non-phone markets, although they can still screw it all up by over-charging and under-delivering.

Windows-only?? Get your Microsoft Windows Tax refund forms ready...

Last edited by Peet; 2009-08-24 at 14:35.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Who will be the first to port debian to it?

I dunno... what was all that talk about Maemo being a vertical OS or something

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I don't know about everyone, but for a netbook/laptop of that size I sure like to type a lot of text, so having a full physical keyboard there is a good thing.

Have you guys ever tried to type something longer than a sentence with a +10" touch screen, with a large virtual keyboard? (Like in the Windows XP Tablet edition.) I have. It is p-a-i-n-f-u-l.

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I don't know about everyone, but for a netbook/laptop of that size I sure like to type a lot of text, so having a full physical keyboard there is a good thing.

Have you guys ever tried to type something longer than a sentence with a +10" touch screen, with a large virtual keyboard? (Like in the Windows XP Tablet edition.) I have. It is p-a-i-n-f-u-l.
Who's talking about keyboard?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the device's size.

We're talking about the _software_ that's a COMPLETE disappointment.

Without Maemo or Ubuntu, this device is an EPIC FAIL, in my opinion.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-08-24 at 13:23.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post

Intel Atom???.. Win7.. >.< ohh, i guess that's what i should have expected from Nokia/Intel Co-operation
If they can actually get 12 hours battery life out of an Atom (supposedly the next generation Atom?), I'll take an Atom. May not be as sexy as an ARM CPU, but 12 hours is 12 hours.

But ... Windows? unforgivable.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Is one thread enough? This one at Off-topic was first:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30940

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, I created a wiki page for it on debian's site anyway: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianNokiaBooklet