Hi guys,

I was mulling around trying to workout how to remove my dictionary autocomplete words when I came accros this thread for the n810. So I tried to apply the same method for my n900 to remove the autocomplete dictionary. It took a bit of finding but this is the solution.

- Warning, Using X Terminal and the following commands can be dangerous and cause errors to your system. If you are unsure what you are doing Do Not Proceed -

1. Open X Terminal, type following. Note this IS case sensitive.
Code:
cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary
2. After this goto Settings > Text Input > [Uncheck] Word Completion > Save
3. Then re-open Settings > Text Input > [Check] Word Completion > Save

For some reason the Conversation app seems to store the dictionary in a cache.

Hope that helps some of you out. Nokia in both generations of OS' now - Symbian and Maemo - havn't made a clear path for deleting auto-complete words. It's quite annoying..

Edit: Added the Settings uncheck/check.

Last edited by horus; 2009-12-13 at 12:07.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by horus View Post
Hi guys,

I was mulling around trying to workout how to remove my dictionary autocomplete words when I came accros this thread for the n810. So I tried to apply the same method for my n900 to remove the autocomplete dictionary. It took a bit of finding but this is the solution.

- Warning, Using X Terminal and the following commands can be dangerous and cause errors to your system. If you are unsure what you are doing Do Not Proceed -

Code:
cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary

Hope that helps some of you out. Nokia in both generations of OS' now - Symbian and Maemo - havn't made a clear path for deleting auto-complete words. It's quite annoying..

do we hit enter after each line of code we enter?

Originally Posted by dark335i View Post
do we hit enter after each line of code we enter?
Yes. <padding>
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
This removes the dictionary cache and not the dictionary itself correct?

The Following User Says Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Yep - in fact I seem to have removed some of it but not all of it. It has, at least, removed the bit that was mots annoying!

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Jessi: Yes =]

Kathy: According to mars the personal is one time used words waiting for insertion. Used is like the full cache. Did you do the check/uncheck part Kathy?

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by horus View Post
Hi guys,

Code:
cd .osso/dictionaries
rm .used.dictionary
rm .personal.dictionary

Just did it now and it works, thank you VERY MUCH!!!!

I noticed that my Yahoo! mail password was added to my .personal.dictionary file. I tried the steps outlined in this thread but the file was consistently recreated every time I re-enabled word completion. Needless to say, this is very disturbing behavior. I tried restarting the device, and the text string continues to be reinserted. I have since disabled text completion.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
Wow, I just discovered that my password for gtalk / gmail is presented as an autocomplete word - every time I press q (which is what my password starts with) it displays my entire password as an autocomplete option. I presume this is a bug. I'll try post my first bug report (if it isn't there already)...

The Following User Says Thank You to joelus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by joelus View Post
Wow, I just discovered that my password for gtalk / gmail is presented as an autocomplete word - every time I press q (which is what my password starts with) it displays my entire password as an autocomplete option. I presume this is a bug. I'll try post my first bug report (if it isn't there already)...
This has been reported already