Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Slovenia
hi, i have l problem connecting my nokia n900 to wlan in my high school. sadly, we students are not alowed to use that wlan, but why waste 600€ on such a gizmo as n900 is, if i cant use it to surf the web while sitting in classroom? its not against the law or anything, but they simply dont allow us to.

every student has his own user name and password, with which he can log into school computers. and since i can not only log into a computer via that user name and password, i can also log into the school's intranet.

the school's wlan has some sort of a certificate, which i gained using Internet explorer on a school computer(i exported it from the explorer and installed it on my n900).

on my nokia i have set all the properties, settings and all the stuff according to Eduroam instructions and a couple tips and guides from talk.maemo.org.

and still i cant search the web via wlan. when in internet options> configuring the connection setup im not able to select the schools certificate...ar any certificate of any kind.

any helping tips? i would appreciate any help, hence this will really make my school days shorter ty

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
I had the same problem. I fixed it with the help of this forum.
When you go to the advanced settings of your eduroam connection. Choose for the tab EAP. Check the first checkerbox (something about manual username). Right under it, fill in your username (username@somethinghere I guess).

Works for me

look at step 15
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/wir...oam/nokia_810/

Last edited by AlexDT; 2010-01-12 at 16:14.

oh thank you. need to try this out tommorow.
so no matter where im from, to which wlan i want to connect, and everything else, i just add @OX.AC.UK everytime im am asked to fill in my user name?

Originally Posted by psiho View Post
hi, i have l problem connecting my nokia n900 to wlan in my high school. sadly, we students are not alowed to use that wlan, but why waste 600€ on such a gizmo as n900 is, if i cant use it to surf the web while sitting in classroom? its not against the law or anything, but they simply dont allow us to.

every student has his own user name and password, with which he can log into school computers. and since i can not only log into a computer via that user name and password, i can also log into the school's intranet.
Just because you're allowed access to the school's network, via a school provided account/PC, doesn't mean you are allowed access via your "personal device". Some entities make stiplulations in that regard.

Even if you have a "certificate", if they are using MAC filtering, you will still not be able to access their network, using an unlisted device.

Good luck with that, and don't be mad if you get in trouble.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Haha I used my n800 My sophomore year, n810 my junior year and this senior year is my n900. When I try to browse the web on my school's wifi, we get to a log in page for our student ID's. After that we have access, some IM services are still blocked, but I'm not complaining .

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
Originally Posted by psiho View Post
oh thank you. need to try this out tommorow.
so no matter where im from, to which wlan i want to connect, and everything else, i just add @OX.AC.UK everytime im am asked to fill in my user name?
No, I suppose it's specific for your school. So its probably different.
Mine for example is "0758899@hro.nl".
If you dont know you should ask those men behind computers on your school .

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Just because you're allowed access to the school's network, via a school provided account/PC, doesn't mean you are allowed access via your "personal device". Some entities make stiplulations in that regard.

Even if you have a "certificate", if they are using MAC filtering, you will still not be able to access their network, using an unlisted device.

Good luck with that, and don't be mad if you get in trouble.

oh ok, i get it. hmmm. about MAC filtering, ther is no other possible way to get your MAC adress listed as a trusted device, as actualy setting it into that MAC list of devices?no bypass there right?

thanks for the answer tho, i appreciate it

Originally Posted by AlexDT View Post
No, I suppose it's specific for your school. So its probably different.
Mine for example is "0758899@hro.nl".
If you dont know you should ask those men behind computers on your school .
right. ok, i think i can figure that one out, since all the professors have "@gimb.org" stated after their names..

woah, im really hoping this will work today in school. thank you all guys very much, ill write if im succesfull

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
My university also uses Eduroam,
my user name is my student number + @hials.no

My iPhone connects without any configuration, tap enter password and usernname, connect, and accept license. rly straight. (also it should be noted that any network stack should be able to recieve the license which is sent over air on eduroam)

My Linux laptop, using a network manager called NetworkManager, i just select the network as any other, enter username and password, but one setting i have to change in a dropdrown menu.

On my macbook, i have to deselect a security setting deep within the network manager somewhere, i dont remember of the top of my head, but i used a pdf file i got on class fronter (software we use to hand in tasks if we have any and similar stuff) for an old OS X version, with a lot of redundant steps for the current Snow Leopard (and also Leopard).

On Windows 7 it was a nightmare, the XP/Vista pdf guide on fronter was only helpfull half ways, and after some tinkering, its up and running.

AFAIK Eduroam does not use Mac filtering in the manner as spoken about earlier in this thread (it may be different on some school idk), afaik they just ban certain mac addresses that they don't want.

It should work on N900 since it worked in linux generally, if not, with us there is a guest network which is far easier to hack, you might have one too (maybe hidden essid?) on our guest network the key is changed weekly or so. (i have yet to try since im waiting for my bloody phone in the mail)

guys thank you all very much for the assistance!

im only sad because i cant connect to the schools wlan after all...

Tags
n900 wlan certificate