Notices

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
is there an sms counter for a n900?

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
nope but did you know that the 900 in "n900" represents the 900 fails it has?

hahahahah i jok! i jok!

Nah...it really does o.O

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
huh im confused.so really it doesnt?is there not an app for this?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Nobody did one yet, as fas as I know. But it shouldn't be too hard ("select count(*) from..." on the sqlite db). There just has to be found a volunteer developer.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Slovenia
im lookong forward for such an app myself...

@psiho, @ashyk36

as pycage mentions this is quite easy to do, but I am just wondering what would this application be for in a little more detail?
Do you like to count all SMS messages on the device (both received and sent), count only received (or sent), limit count for the past/current month, etc..

Providing a little more information would help here (in case someone interested to do a small project on N900 is reading this thread :-)

Hartti

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Nobody did one yet, as fas as I know. But it shouldn't be too hard ("select count(*) from..." on the sqlite db). There just has to be found a volunteer developer.
The application announced in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37907 is still in early stages, but it shows a lot of promise.

I think the author started out to make a backup of the event log database and started adding summary features.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Slovenia
i think just a simple counting app would be apropriate. like the call timer, or 'personal dataplan monitor'... counting sent messages, the received messages and all together

Are you talking about something like this?

Name:  Screenshot-20100128-235817.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  21.0 KB

Yes, ugly as hell...
FWIW that's a short python script (which took me ages, as I am just learning this :-)

I have not yet:
  • packaged it (I have PyPackager installed, so I should be able to tackle this one...)
  • sorted out how I recalculate the counters when the month changes (after which I will also remove the "update" button) - now the widget only updates when you send or receive an SMS
  • spent too much time on the UI (should I use bolded characters somewhere, etc) - but safe to say I am not planning to make this too cool looking (use of partial transparency and all that, unless I suddenly become much more productive in python scripting :-)
  • tested it on any other device than my own very hacked version (to make sure it works ok on more than one device, and does not break anything)
  • placed this available in anywhere

Hartti

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hartti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Good work...
**suggestion**
when you say
sorted out how I recalculate the counters when the month changes
you should add an option to set the date of the month it resets as my text message allowance starts on the 21st of the month and i'm sure other peoples starts of different days of the month.
or
just add a manual reset button (but date set would be nicer as its automatic then)

nice one

The Following User Says Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post: