Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
If you're going to take risks like overclock, you should have probably been a bit better at backing up, than not doing it ever ...

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
dude, it is very rare cpu is fried. what is more likely is that the ram is having errors. if so just run a ram-checker program. also do u remember the 80:20 rule? 80% of the work is done in 20% when the rest of the 20% is done in 80%. It's called pareto! Google it!!
The RAM part actually makes a lot of sense come to think of it. Problem is that I can barely open the menu without the phone rebooting ;/

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
If you're going to take risks like overclock, you should have probably been a bit better at backing up, than not doing it ever ...
Data on the phone was not that important really.. My biggest concern is getting the phone working again at minimal cost

Last edited by Unhuman; 2011-01-23 at 18:27.

send the phonee in.
the worst which would happen is they would send the phone back without repairing it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tele For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah man, i thought mine was fried because it was randomly rebooting, but it was just a loose sim card...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Could you harvest any specific messages from the kernel log (dmesg)?
I had reboot issues when my emmc came loose after dropping the phone on the floor. I could gain stability by turning off swap in that case.

The Following User Says Thank You to tvogel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by tvogel View Post
Could you harvest any specific messages from the kernel log (dmesg)?
I had reboot issues when my emmc came loose after dropping the phone on the floor. I could gain stability by turning off swap in that case.
This MIGHT have something to do with my problem, actually. I've been having spontaneous reboots for about a month now. I proceeded to install syslogd and logged a bunch of messages that way for a while, but I never saw anything that was exactly the same regularly - just that something would die, and then most of the time, watchdog would flip out and reboot because that process died. It seems to always have to do with some sort text selection/copying/pasting, or new data coming in to my N900 (typically lots of stuff coming in from the internet). I am pretty sure I remember some error about a device not being found in the syslog logs as well...

At the same time, I have had the /opt (/home/opt technically) partition occasionally become "read only", and I believe ONCE I had /home/user/MyDocs become read-only as well... Anyway, I don't have anything to easily diagnose when swapping happens, but when the N900 does this, it's in situations I would think it likely to be swapping...

Were you ever able to fix your N900 in a more 'true' way, like find some way to fix your eMMC chip more solidly to its casing? Or did/do you just use it without swap / with swap on an SD card?

/dev/mtd2 can have precious informations for this cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Megaltariak View Post
/dev/mtd2 can have precious informations for this cases.
Took me forever to dig this thread up again: Do you mind telling me how exactly I should go about getting said precious information?

I certainly lack the technical skill to figure anything out of it.

For what it's worth, my issue has persisted through both a normal reflash and a full eMMC-inclusive reflash, and since I don't see forums exploding with the same issue in connection with any software I have, I really suspect it's hardware something or other.

I'd be happy to do a bunch of testing/logging/whatever to figure out this issue, but there's no way in hell I'd know what to make of the results.

The only thing is I have a bunch of syslog logs from earlier (but when this issue was already present), and I can redirect the mtd2 output into a file if someone wants to look at it... Beyond that, I think I'll be trying turning swap off completely for a while, see if that helps.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If this is overclocking damage, it is the first time someone has even claimed such damage to a N900 on this site. Check the 5,000+ posts in the main overclocking thread.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I see that Unhuman never mentioned receiving a new phone from Nokia, yet a few months later he was asking for help installing Nitdroid on his phone. This implies to me that he probably solved his problem and it probably wasn't caused by irrevocable overclocking damage. Unhuman, maybe you can clarify this, because I'm just guessing.