Closed Thread
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Some drivers are intelectual ownership of other companies, so Nokia cannot release them (maybe even they don't have complete sources of all drivers). However, I would vote for our Council (who won the election? Estel?) to try to contact these companies and ask them if they could release some sources maybe (or tech specs or anything)p if this has not happened yet in the past.
Yes! exactly!

all the hardware in N900 is legacy/non commercial anno 2012.

Some drivers are intelectual ownership of other companies, so Nokia cannot release them (maybe even they don't have complete sources of all drivers). However, I would vote for our Council (who won the election? Estel?) to try to contact these companies and ask them if they could release some sources maybe (or tech specs or anything)p if this has not happened yet in the past.

Just for the record: GRUB supports x86/x86_64 architectures only (i.e. computers which are able to run desktop version of Windows, if a device is not able to run that => it won't run GRUB). It's UBOOT that you want (this one is for embedded systems and also works on e.g. Nokia N900).
I have Uboot. That doesnt mean that GRUB should not be ported to mobile devices and arm/armel.

How else am I suppose to install proper Linux and dual boot that with Android on a samsung or htc device?

Last edited by zeebra; 2012-05-27 at 16:41.

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Hope dies last .
It may die last, but still dies.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
Yes! exactly!

all the hardware in N900 is legacy/non commercial anno 2012.
Probadly yes, because that chip is still selling by Texas and if you take some time to check homepage at TI instead of whine here you see there is a driver that cannot be distribuated and is not open! You have similar issues with Pandaboard, Beagleboard and also RaspberryPi if I remember right.

Same goes for some Intel embedded GFX chips like GMA500. And ofcourse NVidia and ATI.

Do never expect anything to be fully open source that will never ever happen...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-05-27 at 17:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by lucm View Post
It may die last, but still dies.
Or like this.....

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

– Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I hope that a message saying "Mods, please kill this thread" is not all that is required to kill a thread in this brave new world. Worthless threads are allowed to persist all the time, no matter how hot sh t a person objecting to them is.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Do never expect anything to be fully open source that will never ever happen...
As far as I'm concerned, even binary kernel modules containing drivers for e.g. gfx chip (and other stuff that doesn't have open drivers), but built against newer kernel (by the company that manufactures these chips), would be better then nothing, as it would allow usage of newer kerel as base. This thread is quite pointless, but - just out of curiosity - did that or something similar happen in the past (for any device)?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
As far as I'm concerned, even binary kernel modules containing drivers for e.g. gfx chip (and other stuff that doesn't have open drivers), but built against newer kernel (by the company that manufactures these chips), would be better then nothing, as it would allow usage of newer kerel as base. This thread is quite pointless, but - just out of curiosity - did that or something similar happen in the past (for any device)?
There are no closed source kernel drivers in N900, N950, N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
SGX driver source we need is for userland, not kernel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
SGX driver source we need is for userland, not kernel.
He plays it smart

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Even this would be somewhat acceptable.
Problem ofcourse is that everything is overly interdependent in Maemo, and the most interdependent parts are secret.

What I would like is to be able to build very customer kernels myself, from newer base. For example 2.38 kernel has a big important performance change.

The "Powerkernel" is still restricted to being the same version kernel as the one shipped, right?

I mean, I will not cry if you say that it's me that is too stupid to build my own kernel, but current status sure does not make it easier.

Last edited by zeebra; 2012-05-28 at 15:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
die abill die, flog_dead_horse, not really open, open-core, specc the troll