Active Topics

Reviews from engadget or gizmodo are "amateur" reviews from blogs that cover everything, but nothing particularly well. I was amused by how bad some of their reviews of digital cameras are (compared to really good ones e.g. on www.dpreview.com), so I also do not take the giz N97 review too seriously.

At the same time Nokia should really try to polish their software more. Quite often it is just a bit of sugar-coating that is required before it's accepted. As a geek I obviously care more about functionality than sugar coating so Apple is not my favourite brand (even though I have to say that their bluetooth keyboard works nicely with the N810).

N97 is a nice device. The reviews at gizmodo and "boy genius report" are the tips of the arrows in a media war driven by US, because they can afford it, CNN is the biggest news network, and if you look at CNN articles there were no news about N97 but tons of news about their loved baby iPhone. If you read attentive the gizmodo review, is all about american products, they mention only Google Android devices, Palm Pre, iPhone and RIM. No word about Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony-Ericsson. This is part of the "american island", where the rest of the world does not metter for the americans, the rest mostly does not exist. This is valid for music, movies, almost everything. The big pain is when the americans read the labels on almost every product at walmart "made in china". Americans don't like that too much, for sure. Same with made in Finland or made in E.U.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Yes, some notes:

The N97 is the current best N-series S60 touch phone out there. There are a bunch of shortcomings with it - some will be solved with SW updates, some obviously not - but it isn't a terrible device by any means. Many things with it are actually quite snappy. The screen is nice, the hardware build in general is very high quality. It's a bit big in my personal opinion, but many people like bigger phones. The keyboard is ... well, it's a compromise, but it isn't awful. Although as a Finn I find the lack of the direct scandinavian characters дц on the N97 keyboard a disaster.

My personal favourite S60 phone is the E72. It's a very sleek and working package. Symbian is very good with non-touch. Browsing with Opera Mini on the E72 is a very nice experience. That's the current Symbian phone I would personally recommend to a friend.

Anyways. Symbian isn't dead and Nokia isn't doomed. Already some details have been revealed about the upcoming Symbian^ plans. Symbian is just this huge thing, everything takes time. That's the drawback of compatibility discussions, also found in this thread.

Yes, some notes:

The N97 is the current best N-series S60 touch phone out there. There are a bunch of shortcomings with it - some will be solved with SW updates, some obviously not - but it isn't a terrible device by any means. Many things with it are actually quite snappy. The screen is nice, the hardware build in general is very high quality. It's a bit big in my personal opinion, but many people like bigger phones. The keyboard is ... well, it's a compromise, but it isn't awful. Although as a Finn I find the lack of the direct scandinavian characters дц on the N97 keyboard a disaster.

My personal favourite S60 phone is the E72. It's a very sleek and working package. Symbian is very good with non-touch. Browsing with Opera Mini on the E72 is a very nice experience. That's the current Symbian phone I would personally recommend to a friend.

Anyways. Symbian isn't dead and Nokia isn't doomed. Already some details have been revealed about the upcoming Symbian^ plans. Symbian is just this huge thing, everything takes time. That's the drawback of compatibility discussions, also found in this thread.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Yes, some notes:

Dude, you are playing with an E72? There are parts of me that are slightly jealous right now

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
I havent heard about an "E72 " can anyone direct me to a review on it or a picture of it. I'm lookin for a good phone to go with my n810...

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
I havent heard about an "E72 " can anyone direct me to a review on it or a picture of it. I'm lookin for a good phone to go with my n810...
http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/...ics-and-video/

It's a very nice slim package. Great feel with the hardware. I like the texture on the back surface. A much faster processor and more available ram. Better camera, a 3.5mm headphone jack etc. And the price should be reasonable.

For non-touch it's a very good package indeed.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I have to say I like the N97 better than the Gizmodo dude, but the release of the device illustrates why Apple is more popular.

If you compare them out of box, Apple does what it says. The quality control on the N97 is simply lacking. It took a firmware update to even be able to use some advertised features. And when Gizmodo/Buchanan says "But even its visual feel is dated and worn, like someone dragged 2003 into the present tied to the back of a battered and rusted pickup truck." he's spot on. Only the homescreen has an updated feel. The rest is vintage Symbian S60.

This is sad because you get the feeling that Nokia just does not get it. Bad quality control and dated interfaces don't sell units.

It's also worrisome because it makes you wonder about the next NIT/N900 device. Will it fail out of the chute because of poor planning?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
It is just that most of the americans never used symbian s60. I understand it does not have the responsiveness of the apple iphone but once you get used to it for a couple of days you get used to the various short cuts and you can multi-task. Of course there are many bugs and it is slow. The main culprit is the 433 mhz processor. When you are comparing that with a 600 mhz there is bound to be some lag.

All this symbian is crap is just because of american media lacking a prior knowledge of symbian.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
For non-touch it's a very good package indeed.
you make it sound as if touch was the superior technology...