Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
Originally Posted by specc View Post
If the msemo/meego team had done an outstanding job (as they should) Nokia wouldn't be in this current situation.
most ridiculous post i have read this month

Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
most ridiculous post i have read this month
Why?

This is simple logic. If Symbian OR Maemo had been competitive, there would be no need for Elop, there would be no need for WP.

Instead of making them competitive they tried to put on some Qt makeup. That didn't work.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The maemo/meego team is now at Jolla. Their track record makes me highly doubtful that they can succeed

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Why?

This is simple logic. If Symbian OR Maemo had been competitive, there would be no need for Elop, there would be no need for WP.

Instead of making them competitive they tried to put on some Qt makeup. That didn't work.
b4 Flop / Fart made his burning hara-kiri, Symbian was THE n°1 smartphone platform
period

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The maemo/meego team is now at Jolla. Their track record makes me highly doubtful that they can succeed
without Flop's petulance pigs can fly and Jolla might well be able to sell quite a few MeeGo device, especially with hw keyboard. question is whether they'll be able to make a living / profit from it.

Nothing to do with Elop. N900 was out in 2009, They should have had the device for N9 ready by 2010......with development since at least 2007....

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Nothing to do with Elop. N900 was out in 2009, They should have had the device for N9 ready by 2010......with development since at least 2007....
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
b4 Flop / Fart made his burning hara-kiri, Symbian was THE n°1 smartphone platform
period
that's all there is to it

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
period
May have been, but that didn't benefit Maemo. In fact, the dominance of Symbian within Nokia meant that they (the OPK management) didn't fund Maemo as strongly as they should have. Thus, when Elop walked in, he could have dismissed Maemo/MeeGo as easily as he had, point to Symbian and show them how much money it cost for R&D to keep Symbian competitive and seemingly do it with the blessing of the Board of Directors.

That... was the case and that led to the current situation where Microsoft is still their push in terms of marketing and press releases and Maemo/MeeGo and Symbian are all pushed to the wayside.

Blaming Elop is only looking at what he had left to deal with in regards to the undervalued, underfunded yet pretty damn driven Maemo/MeeGo teams that have gone to Jolla and other places. Qt has been purchased by Digia and that means that it will invariably not have the funding that a healthier Nokia could have given it.

So Tomi Ahonen roasting Elop's decisions - nothing new. He'd probably roast OPK too if he hadn't in the past (I seriously don't know). And pretty much he'd roast anybody else making decisions not named Tomi Ahonen.

Being number 1 doesn't mean you're infallible. It means you have further to fall down...

I think Elop did what he had to do.... we shouldn't roast him.

We should be roasting the board of executives.

If Nokia didn't strike the deal with Microsoft, I'm certain RIM would've done it shortly thereafter. Then you'd have Microsoft with a stronger patent portfolio, a communications service, a hardware vendor and a foot into the corporate world. In fact, Windows 8 would be something to look forward to.

If anything, I think it was Intel that killed Nokia.
Maemo5 was good (is good). Starting over with .rpm and Qt5 is better, yes, but NOT in the scale of time they did it.

I think the best alternative would've been if they shipped Symbian Anna/Belle with the Nokia N8 and did so at least 6 months prior. That would've been the "stop gap".

And in the meantime, buy out Palm, have extensive patent portfolio to litigate Apple (yes I actually support this), and churn out Maemo5OS-with-webOS-UX and devices that are "good enough" to compete in the market.

I think in the meantime, Nokia could've been creating a powerful successor with the latest stable Linux kernel, rpm package system and Qt5-framework. They could've bumped up the UX again and offer upgrades for "worthy" devices. Sure it would've pissed off a lot of people, but you have to think about yourself first.

While Apple was selling the iPhone 4S and iPad 2, Nokia could've been selling a tablet like the ASUS Transformer and a phone like Google Nexus Galaxy... which may have been short of "Apps" but it would be more "revolutionary" and with a bright future with Applications.

The Samsung Galaxy S i9000 was the "make it or break it" point in time for the industry.
This is where Nokia, Palm, RIM and Microsoft all went wrong.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
If anything, I think it was Intel that killed Nokia.
Maemo5 was good (is good). Starting over with .rpm and Qt5 is better, yes, but NOT in the scale of time they did it.
Yeah, no, that wasn't the problem - Intel may have done many things but killing Nokia wasn't it. Qt5 wasn't even part of the MeeGo.com story (came much later). .rpm made a lot more sense considering that the build systems allowing you to do productized releases of .deb based systems and Harmattan were Nokia-closed source.

Also, the Harmattan programme getting so damn late that it sucked up all the people that were needed to really kickstart on MW/UI side for handsets, a multi-device strategy with MeeGo.com, hindering real progress.

Tags
blame game, elop the m0ron, goodbyenokia, lumiatard, mistertard, the nokia bash, what's next