nokia and intel are very late in this market. intel statred a bit earlier but at the end their software skills and experience are far form google, microsoft, and apple. nokia are also not good in software and should have accepted and solved the symbian is not up to date earlier. it seems there are big OS fights within nokia and nokia managment was stupid enough to fully invested on symbian.

Nokia's failure today and tomorrow (hopefully not) are due to internal conflict, slow response to market (ignore market trend), un-wise strategy. over-enjoy their glory days.
if nokia really wants to survive at this point in time is to fully support meego. on the other hand intel will still survive even if they don't fully surpport meego. what nokia needs now is not intel and meego. it's fully opened maemo and community not symbian. stop day dreaming that intel will help out. if meego fade away, nokia will be gone since symbian has failed for current market. whatever nokia's future blue print dream is just ********. my n900 will be my last nokia device if nokia keep day dreaming.

nokia engineers and community, you guys did great job and your efforts are deeply appriciated. we need to convince the nokia management and hopefully redirect them instead of keep wasting our effort.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
In·ter·net [in-ter-net]

–noun
a vast computer network linking smaller computer networks worldwide (usually prec. by the). The Internet is the only place known to man where some anonymous know-it-all individual, i.e. 'dan0929', can tell a multi-national, multi-billion company - which just happens to be the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world with almost 50% market-share - that they are doing it wrong, without being laughed at.

---

So, dan0929, what are your qualifications? Why should Nokia fire their managers and hire you? I mean, you seem to know exactly what you are talking about and I'm sure that Nokia wouldn't miss the opportunity to hire a person that will be able to increase their cell phone market-share, or at least increase their smartphone market-share for more than 4% this quarter, as their misdirected management managed to pull out the last quarter. They don't sound like a failing company to me, but if you say so... Awe us with your knowledge and insight...

Last edited by zwer; 2010-03-28 at 10:06.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
i think dan0929 can make a very nice career as manager in Nokia. It is simple, when you go to the ovi site you will see that n900 is not supported. Nokia does nt support its own device. In the applications is nt much updates. Almost none since 1 month that i bought n900. I gave a lot of money to buy the n900 and i trusted nokia and linux. Now I'm feeling a little disappointed.
I'm sure that is nt only me with this opinion.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Nokia (if that quote is correct) say that Meego will not run on N900 in the same way that Maemo5 runs on it.
but Maemo5 is the software of the n900 thats like replacing the S40 software with S60 when it arrived because it is superior, it would be good admittedly but Maemo5 is pretty sharp as is, I don't think there is much Nokia and Intel will be able to do to give me a better user experience. possibly the creation of more apps is of more importance

many of the reasons the n900 doesnt have ovi is because of the software conflictions and there is also an issue with WAP and GPRS don't quite understand how but centrally nokia aren't doing it deliberately. in the strife for a quick mobile operating software they have created this problem but no doubt it will be resolved in time

Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
but Maemo5 is the software of the n900 thats like replacing the S40 software with S60 when it arrived because it is superior, it would be good admittedly but Maemo5 is pretty sharp as is,
Like mentioned in this site many times to those "fools" that moans about N900's phone capabilities "N900 is a mobile computer". And as i don't expect 20€ budget phone to get updates i will expect my computer to have even i have to pay for it.

Originally Posted by matt182 View Post
I don't think there is much Nokia and Intel will be able to do to give me a better user experience. possibly the creation of more apps is of more importance
Don't you think that one hand usage would be great improvement to user experience? I don't expect n900 to be iphone but it would be nice to have modern date os with at least same functions that some cheaper S60v5 devices have. At the moment i'm close to take my 5800 back to use as phone and N900 to other pocket as "mobile computer".

My intention is not to bash N900 but i hope that necessary updates comes before i get tired and sell my device. I know that Nokia is all about to make money and free os updates is propably not that good business but as i'm not Nokias stock holder i'm allowed to expect finished products from them as consumer.

I don't know anyone with thousands of apps on their phone.

I know a few people with a lot of useless apps on their phone.

I know a lot of people who would love to have the apps I got on my phone and can't.

It is not the number of apps that are available, it is how useful and unique they are.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
I don't know anyone with thousands of apps on their phone.
The issue isn't wanting thousands of apps all at once, its having the choice for a variety of applications beyond basic web tools.

I like Linux apps, but compared to the myriad of dedicated apps for the iPhone and the visual consistency that comes with it, Nokia is so far behind its not funny. Is it so much to ask that Nokia starts to mature their products instead of waiting to release new ones far off in a distance?

I know a lot of people who would love to have the apps I got on my phone and can't.
Granted. But we're still using non-optimized Google apps integration while Apple / Google users are using their apps not trying fiddling with workarounds. Linux users are used to hacks, I get it. Is it so much to ask that we start getting some decent games besides the recycled Linux stuff? Nostalgia is great but I didn't buy a $500 phone to play games from the 90's.

It is not the number of apps that are available, it is how useful and unique they are.
A lot of the apps are to deal with shortcomings of the OS, although its not to say that we have no advantages, real multitasking, real web browsers and etc.

Nokia is great with the geeks. I get that. Today the VAST majority of Nokia customers are non-techie. The geeks look down their noses at Apple and Google for not having real flash or web or multitasking, but the fact is they are building a strong customer base and growing their influence. If Nokia wants to keep or grow their current marketshare they need to catch up to Apple and Google.

If we've learned anything these past 2 years is that no one is too big to fail.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Pretty interesting piece of news from the Android side of things today:
We've been given reason to believe that the company will start by decoupling many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core and making them downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as they've already done with Maps. In all likelihood, this process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. Notice that we said apps and components, meaning that some core elements of Android -- input methods, for instance -- should get this treatment. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it -- almost all of the juicy user-facing stuff will happen through the Market.
isn't this pretty close to what Nokia has been saying about the relation between Fremantle, Harmattan and MeeGo? If applications are written in Qt they should be easy to provide to all the different platforms, meaning that even though OS may stagnate, new stuff will still keep coming for our N900s

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Not quite... The MeeGo API is a Qt superset, so it’s ’just’ application level compatibility. Components and system level applications are out of reach (as those will be hard to change without upgrading Qt itself, and hence the whole middleware layer).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
just a bunch of