Active Topics

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm no Jean Sibelius, but I do some musical production and instrumental scoring. Mostly hip hop flavored, but I'm versatile enough to pull off any genre. Just so you know, since I'm basically free and Jean may not be.

Not to poop on the previous ideas, but I think we need something bold, funny, and that talks to geeks. I had this idea awhile for the N95 in its heyday, and could easily adapt it to the N900:

The point of the N900 is it is open, so its able to do anything we want, can solve problems in an instant, and is backed by a group of highly skilled open source developers ready to supply any apps we need in a quick manner. The N900's biggest advantage over all other devices is its developer network, and I want it front and center in the campaign. That plus the versatility of the device.

So I propose producing a short film. In it, we have a Verizon Wireless "the Network" type of group that is always following the user. The user will have problems, and need a certain function to solve them. That's where the devs step in, tap a few keys on keyboard while huddled together, and voila! Issue solved with an app!

You can also show "other" smartphones taking too long to do something, and the N900 taking over more tasks at once with multitasking,

using the N900 with TV out for gaming when a Playstation breaks at a party,

using the N900 for movies at the theater when the projector is on the fritz,

using the N900 connected to a sound system at a party just abandoned by a disgruntled DJ,

showing a snooty movie director getting upset at his staff and trashing the panavision cameras, and then mulling cancelling filming for the day, until the Maemo devs step in and hand him an N900, and next it shows the director filming with it, yelling "CUT!", and "Brilliant", with the entire staff behind the screen clapping.

showing 2 guys with smartphones lost in the desert without a data connection, with one using an "iPhone-like" device, unable to use mapping software offline, and the N900 using its offline maps to direct them to an oasis of bikini clad ladies with drinks, and when they see the guy with the N900, they rush him seductively into a cabin but don't allow the "iPhone-like" user.

Show a lonely and small geeky teenage software developer before a massive app approval council similar to the UN security council, speaking of his new app that solves world peace, global warming, and food shortages of the world, but the council rejects the app because the council's device already has a calculator app that solves problems just fine, and "we don't duplicate functions, boys". Then the N900 developers say, "Come with us, we know just what you need..."

And the N900 fills the screen. Then the geek says, "I can't leave yet. I need to call my mother first!", and the N900 rings the Nokia ringtone, and the guy goes, "Mom! I'll be a little late for supper..."

I'm full of this stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Do we have any other digital media guys here? I know timsamoff is the king. Maybe he can lead this initiative if he has time, or even do the entire video! Don't be so lazy, Tim... LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Ok... so one of the first focus is to have some sort of viral video that we can easily forward to other people with a youtube link.

I think rather than sharing each of our imaginations of what the winning video would/should be like, it'd be better if we arrange a competition and the winning video(s) are based on public voting.

Everyone will obviously think their idea is the winner... but that's not always the case.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Now I'm wondering about using material from pre-existing videos, like from Nokia, in a mashup...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
hm, a few slogans that came to my mind:

Nokia N900 - Mobile computer on the go.
Nokia N900 - Everything. Everywhere.
Maemo 5 - Use your imagination.
Maemo 5 - Explore the unlimited.
Maemo 5 - You choose. You decide.
Maemo 5 - Open as the sky above.

What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
wow,

we're really getting some great ideas here now!!

@christexaport I love the ideas! alhough I think showing a director shooting a movie gives the wrong impression about the quality of the cam. Say what you will but it won't win you any oscars

How do you think we, as a community, could realise these concepts?

@ysss and Texrat: I think if we have a competition we'll end up with a mash-up of existing footage (sort of a Maemo mix), but do you think we'll get enough people to contribute their own videos o make the option of a competition viable?

@Jack6428 I personally really like the Nokia N900 - Everything. Everywhere and Maemo 5 - You choose. You decide. I think this looks like the kind of message that Nokia are looking to send regarding device (besides the message that it's not a phone)

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
wow,

we're really getting some great ideas here now!!

@christexaport I love the ideas! alhough I think showing a director shooting a movie gives the wrong impression about the quality of the cam. Say what you will but it won't win you any oscars

How do you think we, as a community, could realise these concepts?

@ysss and Texrat: I think if we have a competition we'll end up with a mash-up of existing footage (sort of a Maemo mix), but do you think we'll get enough people to contribute their own videos o make the option of a competition viable?

@Jack6428 I personally really like the Nokia N900 - Everything. Everywhere and Maemo 5 - You choose. You decide. I think this looks like the kind of message that Nokia are looking to send regarding device (besides the message that it's not a phone)

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My suggestion for a slogan:

Open up to Maemo 5
Call me a perv, but that reminds me too much of goatse.cx

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
there are so many ideas... wow!

the one thing i'm not sure about is: what's the message? is "open" something ppl will get excited about? apple's message, i guess, was "cool". cool is what some folks apparently want to be. i hope nobody here suggests "even cooler" as our message or else i'd shiver.

so how could "open" become more emotional? what's open aside from the software ecosystem?

i believe there should be people. people interacting. people being more open/inviting/friendly/... than the average geek. i like christexaport's ideas because the involve people.

open - open to new people - open minded - open to all kinds of ideas - ... "connecting people" is close, but too conservative.

scenes that show how a maemo device makes people meet and have fun together... people who wouldn't have had a reason to talk to each other without their devices. make it clear how they share, create, how they use open software to create stuff they share open...

good looking, relaxed people. the "i want to be like her/him"-kind of people.

sounds like a €1000000 video production? not necessarily. it could be a blog entry, a photo on flickr, 20 seconds on youtube.... the point is to transport emotions, not only facts and "i like it because..."

oh, one more note:
i know one person who owns an iphone. whenever he sends a mail from this device, the signature reads "sent from an iphone". i don't know if this is a default setting or if it was his idea, but it drives me nuts. never. never. never do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
This thread reminds me of thoughtfix's contest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffXE...video_response

So how about someone sponsoring such a contest...