Notices

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I haven't really checked in quite a while - I have "write a layer availability testing script" on my TODO but have not got to it yet. :P So just let me know what layers seem dead and I'll remove them if they also don't work on my side & if I can't fix the URLs. Thanks in advance!
There's this one at VE OS maps: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1739

Doesn't work on Jolla, I've not recently tried on n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Thanks for the reply

Well, Sailfish is Linux, so grabbing the packaged mapnik and its build-deps for Fedora or whatever should just work. As for Android, it's become such a caricature of what Linux should be that I don't have any idea.
I think I'll try to build the Mapnik packages from Open SUSE or Fedora on the Mer OBS.

But if the Digia folks were able to run Qt there and Python runs there as well, why shouldn't boost & mapnik fail? But I guess xda-developers may be a better place to discuss mapnik on Android
Even though there are (cross) compilers, it is usually quite a pain to build stuff on Android due to the various quirks and hack inherent to the platform. And another issues is cramming the stuff you have built to your APK in a workable manner due to the lack of dependency handling support.

Overall I think I'll just concentrate on getting one offline map rendering solution going and we will se how to go from that.

Or maybe the pbf (for instance) file could be split into smaller chucks, e.g. 50 MB each depending on the coordinates? And than it would be trivial to get the proper file - take the coordinates x,y - let x1=f(x), y1=g(y) - take the file `map-$x1-$y1` - find the fragment. This would greatly diminish the amount of file reading and RAM used.
That's basically the plan - storing the OSM geometry corresponding to a tile image in a sqlite tile database. The current tile handling & caching mechanisms could be used, but instead of displaying tile images, the tile geometry would be rendered (using a map style) and then displayed.

Originally Posted by wisgal View Post
Modrana on my N9:
The main page: Nothing happens when clicking on Routes or POI.
Options page: Clicking on POI, Navigation, Network, Debug just bring a black page with just a header of the item. Is there any other files to be installed to make the application useful?
That's unfortunately the expected behavior - all these features were planned but I have not managed to implement them before I stopped working on the N9 port of modRana.

Originally Posted by skanky View Post
There's this one at VE OS maps: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1739

Doesn't work on Jolla, I've not recently tried on n900.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Update:
Should be now fixed!

Last edited by MartinK; 2015-06-27 at 14:02.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
And now for a late release announcement.

modRana 0.52.10 has been released !

The only notable user visible change is the quick routing feature:

Just long press a point of the map and a quick routing menu shows up.

Changelog
The changelog format has changed due to various packaging changes to make modRana packaging more sane & Harbour compatible. The new spec file changelog is now automatically generated from commit message headers and looks like this:

Code:
* Tue Jun 16 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.10-1
- Make sure the background bubble stays visible on Sailfish OS (martin.kolman)
- Add long-click menu with a "route here" button (martin.kolman)
- Set start and destination by a function (martin.kolman)
- Add functions for enabling and disabling the routing UI (martin.kolman)
- Make it possible to set marker name when appending it (martin.kolman)
- Move the pinch and mouse areas under them tile grid (martin.kolman)
- Make pan detection HiDPI aware (martin.kolman)
- Don't trigger the long-click signal if a pan is in progress (martin.kolman)
- Clarify Python 3 support (martin.kolman)
- Round position change when panning during pinch zoom (martin.kolman)
- Refactor the map marker implementation (martin.kolman)
- Add support for long-click detection to the PinchMap element (martin.kolman)
- Use rWin.lastGoodPos when computing distance to search results (martin.kolman)

* Wed May 27 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.9-1
- Make sure that version.txt is present in sourcedir (martin.kolman)

* Mon May 25 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.8-1
- Create a version.txt file when making the tarball (martin.kolman)

* Tue May 19 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.7-1
- Only show the keep-screen-on toggle when it does something (martin.kolman)

* Sat May 16 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.6-1
- More Sailfish Harbour packaging fixes (martin.kolman)

* Wed May 13 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.5-1
- Remove python3-base dependency on Sailfish OS (martin.kolman)

* Wed May 13 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.4-1
- Sailfish packaging fixes (martin.kolman)

* Tue Apr 21 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.3-1
- Fix the Sailfish QML mangling script (martin.kolman)

* Wed Apr 01 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.52.2-1
- Initial package
The spec file is now part of the modRana source code repository, so you can now easily check the modRana changelog at any time.

While this is handy for packaging (it is automatically generated!) and for checking which commits are present in which modRana release, this new format is less readable than the "old" hand-written changelog entries.

So I've started writing simple hand written changelogs to the release commits:

Code:
New modRana version 0.52.10

- add a long-click menu to the map for easy routing
- prevent the route from wobbling during pinch zoom
As hand-written logs are more readable this will probably be the format of changelogs in future release announcements.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Does 0.52.10 include the VE OS maps fix? I still can't seem to get it to download - though I'm perfectly willing to accept it's pebkac issue.

Originally Posted by skanky View Post
Does 0.52.10 include the VE OS maps fix? I still can't seem to get it to download - though I'm perfectly willing to accept it's pebkac issue.
It was fixed past the 0.52.10 release so it is not yet in a released version. I already have a couple of other fixes that would warrant a new release, but I'm not sure I'll manage to do that before I go to vacation this Saturday.

In any case if you clone modRana from GitHub it will have the fix and should run out of the box. If you are using it on the N900 just run modrana.py from the command line. On Sailfish OS you can use the run/sailfish startup script.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It was fixed past the 0.52.10 release so it is not yet in a released version. I already have a couple of other fixes that would warrant a new release, but I'm not sure I'll manage to do that before I go to vacation this Saturday.

In any case if you clone modRana from GitHub it will have the fix and should run out of the box. If you are using it on the N900 just run modrana.py from the command line. On Sailfish OS you can use the run/sailfish startup script.
Okay, that's great. No rush on it, I just noticed the fix and release were roughly the same time and wanted to just check that I wasn't doing something wrong.

If a need comes up, I'll look into cloning it, but I'm busy with wrapping up one job and hunting for another at the moment. I hope to have some time to play more with less standard stuff on SFOS when the tablet arrives and I have a bit more time.

Two questions:

1) Do normal map tiles 'expire'? It'd be ideal if the app could check whether tiles were up to date if they're older than a certain age and still being used, though if that isn't possible just having an option to flush them after a year or so would be good.

2) Don't copy-on-write filesystems have terrible performance for databases? I read older versions of BTRFS were notorious, and Sailfish has an oldish one...

I'm wondering whether creating a subvol without COW for the maps, or perhaps just tuning down the write frequency massively in the config file might help performance (not sure I'm brave enough to try the former - and I'm certainly not suggesting anyone else should, unless they know what they're doing...)

Love the app, but hitting some weird problems on sqlite where it seems to refuse to load tiles it has clearly loaded before. Still, I realise it's early days yet for the port. I'll try to capture some debug output if I can.

(p.s. sorry if these have been answered. I read 20 - 30 pages of the thread, didn't see anything)

Last edited by MikeHG; 2015-08-11 at 17:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
This is a log from when the database seems to 'lock up', apparently refusing to load tiles it has already downloaded. I'm not 100% sure how to trigger it, but generally scrolling around and zooming in and out in an area I haven't yet downloaded works reliably eventually. I've left it in that state for 1/2 hour probably, and it doesn't recover - though interestingly, it does seem to be able to load other tiles sometimes (e.g. if I zoom really far out) - it just seems to choke on certain particular areas of map, but after closing the program and relaunching it, and sometimes even just by zooming out then back in again, those areas of map will draw fine.

http://pastebin.com/dVuPYC4k

Quite a few examples of this:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modules/gui_modules/gui_qt5/gui_qt5.py", line 302, in _selectImageProviderCB
    return self._imageProviders[providerId].getImage(imageId, requestedSize)
  File "modules/gui_modules/gui_qt5/gui_qt5.py", line 599, in getImage
    log.exception()
TypeError: exception() missing 1 required positional argument: 'msg'
2015-08-13 00:53:58,644 ERROR mod.gui.qt5: tile image provider: loading tile failed
2015-08-13 00:53:58,652 ERROR mod.gui.qt5: mainMap/mapnik/13/4094/2727
2015-08-13 00:53:58,655 ERROR mod.gui.qt5: (-1, -1)
2015-08-13 00:53:58,658 ERROR mod.gui.qt5: image loading failed, imageId: tile/mainMap/mapnik/13/4094/2727
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modules/gui_modules/gui_qt5/gui_qt5.py", line 579, in getImage
    download=False)
  File "modules/mod_mapTiles/mod_mapTiles.py", line 211, in getTile
    tileData = self._storeTiles.getTileData(lzxy)
  File "modules/mod_storeTiles.py", line 369, in getTileData
    return self._getTileDataFromSqlite(lzxy)
  File "modules/mod_storeTiles.py", line 385, in _getTileDataFromSqlite
    result = self.getTileFromDb(lookupConn, dbFolderPath, lzxy)
  File "modules/mod_storeTiles.py", line 455, in getTileFromDb
    (z, x, y))
sqlite3.OperationalError: database is locked
And probably less important, but nevertheless rather saddening to read, this too:

NOTE: this probably means that the tileserver returned an
error page in place of the tile, because it doesn't like you

Last edited by MikeHG; 2015-08-13 at 00:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
- it just seems to choke on certain particular areas of map, but after closing the program and relaunching it, and sometimes even just by zooming out then back in again, those areas of map will draw fine.
I too have noticed this. I also "owe" MartinK a list of map sources that no longer work, as there seems to be a few. I hope to get time to do that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Side note:

Due to a bug, it seems it's currently impossible to send the logs via the Jolla mail client using gmail, unless you rename them (removing the #).

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ent-via-gmail/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps