Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I think the strategy might be to create a developer-friendly keyboard device first.

This would attract the devs and help build up the number of 'apps' in the ecosystem
@creip on twitter kindly translated an interview with Jussi Hurmola of Jolla earlier today. It is not a long article (link below), but an extract relating to apps is :
One of the problems facing the start-up is answering the competition over apps. Modern day smartphone platforms thrive on the apps they run, and the competition (Android, iOS, and even Symbian) have appstores filled to the brimm with apps. It is still uncertain, if apps made for Nokia's N9 device can be run on the to-be-announced range of MeeGo devices from Jolla.

According to Finnish magazine IT-Viikko, CEO of Jolla Mobile Jussi Hurmola promises that Jolla has "an interesting answer" to the challenge.
' It is evident that we must face up to this challenge. Our solution is so interesting, though that it is better left for revealing at the same time with our announcements.' Hurmola says cryptically. The CEO is reluctant to address confusion over whether apps from the MeeGo-Harmattan device N9 will work on Jolla's devices.
http://peakmob.blogspot.fi/2012/07/j...count.html?m=1

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
but i still want to be able to close apps or move them to multitasking with swipe motion
I don't know... I'd rather never close apps. In that respect iOS has got it quite right. Why should the user care if an app is open or not? We can debate about whether that is practical to realise or not, but, like memory management in coding, I'd rather not have to think about it.

Agree on the swipe UI in general. One of the most appealing things —*if not even the most appealing thing —*about the N9.

PS. There seems to be some bug in the forum and mdashes get some weird '*' after them upon display.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Setok View Post
I don't know... I'd rather never close apps. In that respect iOS has got it quite right. Why should the user care if an app is open or not? We can debate about whether that is practical to realise or not, but, like memory management in coding, I'd rather not have to think about it..
Because when I'm done with an application I want to close it, so it starts fresh the next time. Also, the "multitasking" on iOS, WP and lesser extend Android annoys me greatly, as it is more "taskswitching" like we had in 1989. From both user and developer standpoint I really prefer the multitasking as is implemented on Maemo, MeeGo and Symbian - it leaves me in control.

I've never ran out of memory on the N9. And when I don't want to close an app, well... I simply swipe it aside.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want a python dev phone. Why dont noone talking about python here?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Because when I'm done with an application I want to close it, so it starts fresh the next time. Also, the "multitasking" on iOS, WP and lesser extend Android annoys me greatly, as it is more "taskswitching" like we had in 1989. From both user and developer standpoint I really prefer the multitasking as is implemented on Maemo, MeeGo and Symbian - it leaves me in control.

I've never ran out of memory on the N9. And when I don't want to close an app, well... I simply swipe it aside.
This is not the thread for debating this, but I think you need to ask yourself why 'starts fresh' is important, in a general way, for most users, versus just doing things and not caring about that. We can agree to disagree for now

Btw. iOS's multitasking is way more than mere taskswitching. I think they made the right compromise there, making it easier to control how apps use resources. You don't tend to get those runaway situations that you get on the N9 where battery just wooshes out of existence.

Anyway, I hope Jolla does innovate on the UI and device. I love how the N9 approached that in a wild new way, and we definitely need more of that. Is that Palm guy still involved with Nokia or is he on board with Jolla?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Tcl is even cooler

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Well, actually:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Python & PySide support
I asked about Python support on the Jolla IRC channel. It seems that as long it works on Mer, it should be no issue. There are actually already quite a few buildable PySide RPM Mer packages on COBS.

I hope Jolla teams up with some Japanese manufactuers as they have too suffered in this Smartphone war.

Multi-tasking the way the n900, n9 and Symbian does is something I really use.

My use case:

1 - Open Browser;
2 - Open A page, while A page loads (because of slow internet), open B page;
3 - Open E-mail, while it downloads, go back to A page;
4 - Read A page, decide I want to listen to music;
5 - Open music player and put some music;
6 - Open emails, read some, returns to A page;
7 - Finish reading A page, opens C page and while it loads go to B page;
8 - Goes back to email, opens random attachment;
9 - Reads said attachment, goes to back to email;
10 - Closes email, goes to page B;
11 - Decide I want to take a walk, so Sports Tracker better be open, or open it now;
12 - On page B, finds random video on Youtube, open it;
13 - While said video loads, go to page C;
14 - goes on and on...

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Aegis can't because it's poorly executed, and was made for the wrong reasons, but anyway, all fences have holes. But I would like if I it at least tried to protect my contacts and data from irrelevant applications. Or my cpu from malware.
Call me old fashioned, but I find the idea that there is some magic technology that somehow allows you to download and run random untrusted code on your computer and still avoid any risks and consequences absurd. If you give the bad guys access to your CPU they will find ways to bite you.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The settings panel would allow me to turn on notifications for all sorts of things, most importantly, when apps try to send information (other than authentication) from the device. I'd especially want to know if an app is sending location information, so if an app accesses the GPS and then tries to send data, my device will block it and ask me if I will allow it. And there's always a "more information" button to show me the host it is sending the data to, etc.
But how would you know if what it's trying to send is benign or not? What if it hides it in something innocent-looking like DNS queries? Or what if it simply stores your location information and sends it later in batches (without accessing the GPS first in order to not trigger the block)?

I also think a good watchdog will protect the user from all sorts of attacks, and a notification to the user, "such-and-such app is attempting to delete files from the Documents folder. Do you wish to allow this?"
What about opening files for writing and writing garbage, or truncating them instead? Or perhaps renaming them to things that look like temporary files and then asking for permission to delete? Or moving them outside Documents (if that's not the root of the mount) first to avoid the watchdog? When the malicious code is already executing on your CPU there are far too many ways to do damage and it's too late to try to close the barn door.

I don't have any answers, but I can't help noticing that the only thing that's worked relatively well so far are Free Software repositories like Debian's or Fedora's that are well audited and set the bar for entry high. But I guess that sort of thing is incompatible with fart apps and the like.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla