Good post ototo, that is very informative. Is there a value in regulating charging speed? I've noticed that both my Pre 3 and iPhone4 (I get around it seems) will adjust and charge much faster if I plug them into the higher output wall adapter. The N9 is much pretty much constant no matter what. I'm assuming that allowing faster charging can be harmful to the lifespan of the battery, is that true?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
Is there a value in regulating charging speed?
It's a balance between the time needed to charge the battery and longevity of it's life. Besides that, depending on the current capacity and the level of discharge, different charging algorithm might be used.

AFAIK so called "rapid chargers" (those for standard batteries, e.g. AA, AAA) are using pulses of high current in some particular pattern to charge faster. I don't have any factual information on how that affects battery lifespan, but I'm pretty sure it comes with a price.

I've noticed that both my Pre 3 and iPhone4 (I get around it seems) will adjust and charge much faster if I plug them into the higher output wall adapter.
Same happens with N900 - charging from a computer (by connecting it to an USB port) is noticeably slower then charging from the "dedicated charger". The charging "machinery" there detects the type of the power source and adjusts algorithm.

The N9 is much pretty much constant no matter what. I'm assuming that allowing faster charging can be harmful to the lifespan of the battery, is that true?
Again, it's a question of balance.

I haven't checked if it charges faster with a dedicated "charger" comparing to charging from PC's USB port. It might be faster, as more current is available (same applies to special high current USB ports on some USB hubs/notebooks, which provide 1.2 A of current).

BTW, having an AMOLED display on board, device can consume quite a bit of the current provided by the power supply while charging. So, it should be possible to make charging a bit slower, if display will be on and showing some bright image (the brighter is the image, the more power display drains). Adding CPU load to that counts too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ototo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ototo View Post
I think some clarification is needed in regards to the term "charger" here.

Many modern batteries have a dedicated chip inside, which is controlling it's charging process, collects usage statistics and keeps track of remaining battery capacity (life time wise). Good examples of such batteries are notebook batteries. As the process of charging is controlled by that controller, which is limiting charging current (changing it in different phases of charging process), it's not possible to change charging current by using more powerful power supply. It will work other way around though - less powerful supply will limit the maximum charging current till the moment, when it dies because of overload (if it has no overload protection).
Informative indeed.

However, it does not explain the following: if I use an iPad charger (5.1V, 2.1A) my N9 charges more slowly than with Nokia's own AC-16 (5.0V, 1.0A).

So there must be some sort of device identification/"compatibility" going on here. If that's the case, it is pretty annoying.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by vip View Post
Informative indeed.

However, it does not explain the following: if I use an iPad charger (5.1V, 2.1A) my N9 charges more slowly than with Nokia's own AC-16 (5.0V, 1.0A).

So there must be some sort of device identification/"compatibility" going on here. If that's the case, it is pretty annoying.
According to USB Battery Charging Specification v1.2, chapter 4.4.3:
A DCP shall have an impedance between D+ and D- of RDCP_DAT.
where RDCP_DAT is defined in Table 5-3 Resistances as 200 Ohm max.

I have no idea what happens if that impedance is higher than that. If it's very high (e.g. unconnected pins) - the "charger" will not get detected at all (tried with cheap car USB charger).

So, I'd suggest you to measure impedance between two middle pins for both of your "chargers".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ototo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
If the resistance between the data pins is over 200 Ohms, the device will not detect the chanrger as a high current source and therefore limit the current to 100mA. That the current it is allowed to draw from a PC USB port without requesting more power.
Since most wall chargers do not yet follow this new rule, they will only charge very slowly. This is the case with most wall chargers I tested. My solution was to use an USB extension cable and shorten the data wires. This doesn’t hurt at all, even you still would connect it to a computer.

Now, about the charging current:
I created my own external USB battery pack and did some measurement of the charge current. To my surprise, the charging current is highly dependant on the voltage supplied at the USB port. Since I wanted to protect my N900 and N950, I lowered the current to 4.1V. This made the current to go down to 300 mA max, even when the phone battery was completely empty. When I raised the voltage to 5.0V, I now can get 800 mA max. One could go up to 5.25V which is the maximum according to the USB specifications. Since I want to stay on the save side, I will stay at the 5.0V.
This will take maybe 1h for 70..80% and then slow down since the battery is almost full.

Beside of all, the charging electronics in the phone will limit the current. This means you can use any USB charger you have. How ever, if you supply a too high voltage (>5.25V), it might get damaged!
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Atlanta
@caco3, @ototo

Great info, just finished modding car charger and USB extension cord for iPad charger and charge time on N9 dropped from 1444 minutes to 127!!!

Hi all,

Well I tried charging my N9 today with an Ipad charger, and got a message saying that there is not enough power to charge the device!

Has anyone else had this happen to them before? I live in the US, and thus the charger which shipped with the N9 does not work here.

How are you all charging your N9s apart from sticking it to a computer? Did you get one of those fancy world-plugs? Just a simple adaptor? What worked and what didn't?

Thanks
U_N

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by user_nameless View Post
Hi all,

Well I tried charging my N9 today with an Ipad charger, and got a message saying that there is not enough power to charge the device!
Whats written on the Ipad charger? All apple chargers I know provide at least 1A which is far enough.

Most likely it doesn’t work due the missing resistor between the data lines. see my post above...
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am charging my N9 with a Kindle's charger.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Malaysia
Hey, I've got a little to ask. Is it normal if the N9 gets a little mild warm when charging/gaming?

SCREW OPPA GANGNAM STYLE