Originally Posted by d-iivil View Post
Cool, but can't get it working on my device. Followed the steps in post #1 but I'm still getting the old BusyBox when starting xterm.
That is because using .bashrc assumes you have the bash package installed. If you are using the inbuilt busybox shell (ash) then .bashrc will be ignored. You need to alter the file '~/.profile'. If you don't have one, create it.

I decided there probably was not that much differance between the 2 busybox binarys and simply replaced the /bin/busybox binary with the new one. Obviously I backed up rootfs with backup menu first, so in the event it goes balls up I can just restore.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
I think .profile file not enough, you must install bash3 package, and edit root and user lines in /etc/passwd file (just change /bin/sh to /bin/bash).

Be careful with overwrite, cuz busybox necessary for backupmenu. So if you have big issue, you can't restore backup with it.

.profile file:
Code:
# ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
export PATH

mesg n

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy1210 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ NanJing China
Originally Posted by Andy1210 View Post
I compiled the latest BusyBox

To use with this method, you need install bash3 package as default shell.
Code:
root
apt-get install bash3
To set as default shell, you need edit /etc/passwd file,
Change /bin/sh to /bin/bash in root and user lines!

so replace
Code:
root:******:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
with
Code:
root:******:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
and
Code:
user:*:29999:29999::/home/user:/bin/sh
with
Code:
user:*:29999:29999::/home/user:/bin/bash
Create .profile file in /root and in /home/user with this content:
Code:
# ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
  . ~/.bashrc
fi

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
export PATH

mesg n
or just download:
Code:
root
cd /root && wget http://darktl.com/.profile
cp /root/.profile /home/user
1. Download the new busybox binary to /opt (Do NOT overwrite /bin/busybox, cuz it may cause issues!)
Code:
cd /opt && wget http://darktl.com/busybox
2. Grant execute permission
Code:
chmod +x /opt/busybox
3. Download .bashrc file for users (user and root) (this is contain the aliases for all command, like (alias cp='/opt/busybox cp -iv')
Code:
cd /home && wget http://darktl.com/.bashrc
cp /home/.bashrc /home/user
root
cp /home/.bashrc /root
4. restart x-term, ENJOY the colored ls, the new commands and better --help for all command

Currently defined functions:
[, [[, acpid, add-shell, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, arp, arping, ash, awk, base64, basename, beep, blkid,
blockdev, bootchartd, brctl, bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat, catv, chat, chattr, chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd,
chpst, chroot, chrt, chvt, cksum, clear, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, crond, crontab, cryptpw, cttyhack, cut, date, dc,
dd, deallocvt, delgroup, deluser, depmod, devmem, df, dhcprelay, diff, dirname, dmesg, dnsd, dnsdomainname,
dos2unix, du, dumpkmap, dumpleases, echo, ed, egrep, eject, env, envdir, envuidgid, ether-wake, expand, expr,
fakeidentd, false, fbset, fbsplash, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgconsole, fgrep, find, findfs, flock, fold, free,
freeramdisk, fsck, fsck.minix, fsync, ftpd, ftpget, ftpput, fuser, getopt, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, hd,
hdparm, head, hexdump, hostid, hostname, httpd, hush, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd, ifup,
inetd, init, insmod, install, ionice, iostat, ip, ipaddr, ipcalc, ipcrm, ipcs, iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel,
kbd_mode, kill, killall, killall5, klogd, last, length, less, linux32, linux64, linuxrc, ln, loadfont, loadkmap,
login, logname, logread, losetup, lpd, lpq, lpr, ls, lsattr, lsmod, lspci, lsusb, lzcat, lzma, lzop, lzopcat,
makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, mdev, mesg, microcom, mkdir, mkdosfs, mke2fs, mkfifo, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.minix,
mkfs.vfat, mknod, mkpasswd, mkswap, mktemp, modinfo, modprobe, more, mount, mountpoint, mpstat, mt, mv, nameif,
nbd-client, nc, netstat, nice, nmeter, nohup, nslookup, ntpd, od, openvt, passwd, patch, pgrep, pidof, ping,
ping6, pipe_progress, pivot_root, pkill, pmap, popmaildir, poweroff, powertop, printenv, printf, ps, pscan, pwd,
raidautorun, rdate, rdev, readahead, readlink, readprofile, realpath, reboot, reformime, remove-shell, renice,
reset, resize, rev, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, rtcwake, run-parts, runlevel, runsv, runsvdir, rx,
script, scriptreplay, sed, sendmail, seq, setarch, setconsole, setfont, setkeycodes, setlogcons, setsid,
setuidgid, sh, sha1sum, sha256sum, sha512sum, showkey, slattach, sleep, smemcap, softlimit, sort, split,
start-stop-daemon, stat, strings, stty, su, sulogin, sum, sv, svlogd, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl,
syslogd, tac, tail, tar, tcpsvd, tee, telnet, telnetd, test, tftp, tftpd, time, timeout, top, touch, tr,
traceroute, traceroute6, true, tty, ttysize, tunctl, udhcpc, udhcpd, udpsvd, umount, uname, unexpand, uniq,
unix2dos, unlzma, unlzop, unxz, unzip, uptime, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, vlock, volname, wall,
watch, watchdog, wc, wget, which, who, whoami, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat, zcip
how to make it possible show "bill@home:" or sth else as you like?
As I have to chang some words ?
Sorry for my english.

change the word in /etc/hosts and in /etc/hostname files

change the word in /etc/hosts and in /etc/hostname files
But it doesn't change anything!

the content of the two files:
/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 Bill-N900 localhost

/etc/hostname:
Bill-N900

terminal:
Code:
root
hostname Bill-N900

I did copy the /bin/busybox to /bin/busybox.bak first

terminal:
Code:
root
hostname Bill-N900
it does make sense after a reboot

so thank you again......

I created automatic installer script for new BusyBox! (check the first post)

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Finland
I created automatic installer script for new BusyBox! (check the first post)
It doesn't work, atleast with my N900. Typing any command in the new busybox ended in "sh: /opt/busybox not found". A reflash was needed to restore the system.