Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
The Neo900 website has just gained a RSS feed and ability to subscribe to the newsletter by e-mail. Better late than never

Neo900

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
any possiblites of selecting cell towers like in old nokias fdt netmoniter ? I want to manually select a available tower because its less crowded works better with good speed in 2.5g

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
any possiblites of selecting cell towers like in old nokias fdt netmoniter ? I want to manually select a available tower because its less crowded works better with good speed in 2.5g
Unclear yet, but I'm also very interested *) in netmonitor and it been a pity for BB5 that it doesn't support it. So while we have little choice of the modem we gonna use, I for sure will try to find out about such "hidden features" in the modem we get on Neo900.

Originally Posted by dos1
Yes. The plan is to get complete feature-set of
N900, but augmented with some new stuff. If
there'll be something that won't be possible
to retain, we'll inform about it.
But actually, IR will be there for sure. Maybe
even with rx, so IrDA compatible one.
WTH, is this your signature?
Anyway, there mustn't be a need to recompile anything, since IR like everything should be compatible to N900. Maybe Pierogi needs a patch for learning mode though ;-D

/j

*) the beer still hasn't been claimed by anybody ;-)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-12 at 05:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Unclear yet, but I'm also very interested *) in netmonitor and it been a pity for BB5 that it doesn't support it. So while we have little choice of the modem we gonna use, I for sure will try to find out about such "hidden features" in the modem we get on Neo900. WTH, is this your signature? Anyway, there mustn't be a need to recompile anything, since IR like everything should be compatible to N900. Maybe Pierogi needs a patch for learning mode though ;-D /j *) the beer still hasn't been claimed by anybody ;-)
editing that btw m just pursing my studies long way to go and heck someone dear just got diagonised with heart blocks and dearest with some rare problem ...hard times

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ under the sky
2GB RAM please!
deal with it as a highend device

Originally Posted by TDSii View Post
2GB RAM please!
deal with it as a highend device
We hardly overcame 512 MB limit. 1 GB is the best we can do (not that it won't be already enough - four times the amount in N900)

Last edited by dos1; 2013-10-12 at 15:59.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Justo to be clear - will there be any of those fast swap or not?

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Justo to be clear - will there be any of those fast swap or not?
From early feasibility studies looks like actually providing 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB and doing something weird to also include NAND will be easier than that "fast swap" idea.

Of course things may still change.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
DM37xx (like OMAP35xx and all OMAP3) has a memory addr space of max 8Gbit == 1GByte http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....DRAM_Selection - by NO means we will get more than 1GB of RAM.
The fast-swap idea fails due to no chips with that properties (RAM via MMC interface) exist, and we can't create our own proprietary bus/memory-controller/interface just to hook up RAM to the MMC bus.
The only RAM interface on DM3730 is on top of the SoC chip on PoP balls ("DRAM - PoP only. SDRC signals occur only on top balls"), thus we will try to find a PoP chip that provides 1GB RAM in two banks a 512MB via 2 ChipSelect and works on LPDDR1@200MHz with the right voltage
Since such chips are not available with NAND on board (max that's publicly known is 512RAM/512NAND, N9 using a PoP chip custom made for Nokia and aunt google never heard of that chip), we will add NAND via the bottom flash interface ("Flash - PoP or discrete - All GPMC signals are on both top and bottom balls"), unless we find spare PoP or complete SoC for N9.

Thanks for accepting reality, we don't decide to get specs that maximally annoy users. Rather we do our very best to fulfill your requests whenever possible.

jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-12 at 17:00.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the extensive explanation. I'm certain that the team is doeing its best for the project. I was just asking about the swap as always while instaling linux on my PC I made swap and this is the way it was planed here but it changed. Now it is clear.

I'm not a tech person but a die hard N900 user since 4 years (bought it when it was first available in Poland) and probably a die hard user of Neo900

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!