Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Sourcing N900 genuine main cam modules is not easy and one of our most problematic possible roadblocks for shipping complete devices.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...19#post1423819 mentions successful replacement of N900 camera by a reworked N97 cam module. Looks like a SMIA95 socket on a flex cable with B2B connector, and a pretty similar looking cam module inserted into this socket
Additional info highly appreciated. Thanks!

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-02 at 20:07.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Well, i posted on that thread some pictures comparing the n97 cam with n900.
I think the modules are similar. Here is the n97 original module with the ribbon cable:

and here is the same module with the ribbon removed. Note that the ribbon is not soldered but rather "sticked" to the cam (althought once removed it won't stick back on)

As a side note, this pictures were taken with nokia n900 with the n97 camera module installed

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
i also replaced my cam on one of my n900s previously but the orignal module was better with slight diffrences in colour and contrast and i didnt use a module from n97 i brought a module with no labels anywhere but on the plastic pack it was mentioned n97 n 86 module i opted for that as i found the info on wiki that they are comptiable anyway more people should test out ther damaged n900s with diffrent modules to get a concrete answer . Also i damaged 1 module it woud not focus so anyone be careful its dedicate thing furthermore it should be like use a new module to replace and do not try to extract from a diffrent working device as chances of damaging the module is good.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
As for removing module from mainboard - I found that every case I know about (including my own ones) when *removed* module ends up with broken focus (can focus only 'till some random close distance, like 15 centimeter or a meter, but not further away), involve using *metallic* things to remove module - like, broken shaving blade. Even if done *really* carefully, without any possible physical damage to module.

OTOH, when using *plastic* or other non-conductive, thin things to disable module locks, I got 100% success rate. I speculated about something getting broken due to magnets inside module interacting with metallic things, but I have no idea how it is possible. AFAIK - from post-mortem section of broken module - camera have fixed magnets in "case", and coil around part with lens, that is pushed away via little springs - calibrated current in coil created magnetic field that interacts with fixed magnets, and position lens where it should be.

I don't know how working on mobo without battery (=lens coil powered down?) inn could damage/destroy calibration of said lens and its coil But, statistic - while often lying - is damn useful, so I switched to plastic makeshift removal tools, and haven't had any problems with camera modules, since.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
As for removing module from mainboard - I found that every case I know about (including my own ones) when *removed* module ends up with broken focus (can focus only 'till some random close distance, like 15 centimeter or a meter, but not further away), involve using *metallic* things to remove module - like, broken shaving blade. Even if done *really* carefully, without any possible physical damage to module.

OTOH, when using *plastic* or other non-conductive, thin things to disable module locks, I got 100% success rate. I speculated about something getting broken due to magnets inside module interacting with metallic things, but I have no idea how it is possible. AFAIK - from post-mortem section of broken module - camera have fixed magnets in "case", and coil around part with lens, that is pushed away via little springs - calibrated current in coil created magnetic field that interacts with fixed magnets, and position lens where it should be.

I don't know how working on mobo without battery (=lens coil powered down?) inn could damage/destroy calibration of said lens and its coil But, statistic - while often lying - is damn useful, so I switched to plastic makeshift removal tools, and haven't had any problems with camera modules, since.

/Estel
You are right, the camera autofocus mechanism works like an electromagent, but i don't think that a metal screwdriver really affect those magnets, most likely you pressed on the spring and bend it down.
However i opened my dead camera module, but didn't figure out why is not working anymore:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
most likely you pressed on the spring and bend it down.
No spring pushing. After first failed autofocus, I was EXTRA careful to not push anything I wasn't supposed to (even given that I was quite sure that I haven't pushed on the mask first time, either) - just broken blade put into correct places to disable locks and camera module gently removed, by putting small screwdriver into the known release space.

It still resulted in high failure rate - that, in turn, dropped to 100% success rate, when I started using plastic parts to disable locks. No idea what causes it, as I also don't think metal should affect those magnets in any way, but it doesn't look like coincidence.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Strange, i used a small metal cutter to get the camera out, even touch with a metal screwdriver the n97 cam module, but it seems to work ok.

@joerg_rw, i read somwhere that the camera modules of nokia 6720, N79, N82, N85, N96 should also work, but i didn't tested any of those. If i'll find some of those phones second-hand, i'll buy and check the module compatibility.
Also what type of tin will be used in neo900? lead-free or the good old one?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
@joerg_rw, i read somwhere that the camera modules of nokia 6720, N79, N82, N85, N96 should also work, but i didn't tested any of those. If i'll find some of those phones second-hand, i'll buy and check the module compatibility.
Also what type of tin will be used in neo900? lead-free or the good old one?
Thanks!
Neo900 will be RoHS compliant, thus lead-free. Anyway we will probably use a SMIA95 socket for the cam module, like on N900
[edit] nope, the 20pin B2B connector of N97 variant is way cheaper and more convenient to use, and also easier to find.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-07-14 at 05:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Thanks!
Neo900 will be RoHS compliant, thus lead-free. Anyway we will probably use socket for the cam module
Soket meaning the same as nokia n97 module?

I guess it's the same socket as in N900. Without any board2board cable.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
camera module, nokia n900