My N810 has developed an incredibly short and unpredictable battery lifetime while on standby. Have shortened WiFi timeout (and removed autoconnect), disabled Bluetooth, disabled the RSS reader's automatic update and cleaned up home applets, yet the problem persists.

I get the following output from top (sorry about the horrible formatting):

Code:
[H[JMem: 116228K used, 10600K free, 0K shrd, 1416K buff, 56088K cached
Load average: 0.36 0.19 0.08
[7m  PID USER     STATUS   VSZ  PPID %CPU %MEM COMMAND[0m
 1560 user     RW      1884  1546  2.3  1.4 top
 1089 user     SW<    37720  1057  0.7 29.6 maemo-launcher
 1522 user     RWN    12076     1  0.7  9.5 downloadmanager
 1138 user     SW<    35752  1057  0.0 28.1 maemo-launcher
 1262 user     SW     34860     1  0.0 27.4 gnome-vfs-daemo
  812 user     SW<    33664   345  0.0 26.5 osso-media-serv
 1188 user     SW<    29752  1057  0.0 23.4 maemo-launcher
 1551 user     SW     28480  1057  0.0 22.4 maemo-launcher
  924 systemui SW<    25820   345  0.0 20.3 systemui
 1545 user     SW     21868  1057  0.0 17.2 maemo-launcher
 1057 user     SW<    18960     1  0.0 14.9 maemo-launcher
 1244 user     SW     16100   345  0.0 12.6 mediaplayer-eng
  767 root     SW<    11140   345  0.0  8.7 Xomap
Assuming the numerous instances of maemo-launcher are normal, what could be causing this high memory consumption? My status bar applets are all the normal bunch except for the Rotate applet. I have removed all of the handy daemons (such as autolock) to help narrow this down.
Also, I am not viewing any media, so why is osso-media-server making such a presence?

Thanks in advance! Help is appreciated

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
I have the same problem. And I also have Rotate applet - is this can be the reason?
Regards

I think that anything that loads libraries (which is just about everything) gets the memory use of the library added to the process even if there is only one copy of the library in memory.

Also child processes resource usage gets added to parents, so when maemo-launcher launches X, anything X uses gets added to that instance of maemo launcher.

There are other tools which better detail the memory usage, or read about /proc/meminfo.

What would be the solution to diminish this load ?

I noticed my battery life has shortened as well in the last few days. Maybe it does have something to do with rotate.

Anyone else using the Switch on BT applet?
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

I am having a similar problem, after a fresh reflash of the device using the windows flasher, these are the steps I have taken today

used the windows flasher to reflash.
put my old memory card back in (it is an inexpensive micro center 16gb microsd, though the problem continues with or without it after a reflash, though I have noticed that it sometimes wont find it until I remove/reinsert it a few times)

listen to music for ~ hour, continues to work fine until...

connect to an encrypted network (results are the same with unencrypted), when I dont use it (like to browse the web or install apps) it will work for a short while and then shut off, with or without the power cable in (at this point I restarted it and was hoping that this would tell me if that battery is failing, I strongly suspect this is not the case) When I use wifi at all it dies within 5-10 minutes.

Today, after I fully charged it, I got online, installed skype, and when I started it the device said "RECHARGE BATTERY" and the battery icon turned red and it died.

after a restart I tried top, and I have a few "maemo-launcher" processes running at 20-26% usage. even before I started skype or connected to the net.

In the past I used linux to enable R&D mode, I have yet to disable it, my reason being that It was the first thing I did after I bought it, and it never seemed to cause problems (though I have reflashed it since, I am not sure if that is a persistent setting that stays after a reflash).

since I have started typing this it has restarted 6, no, 7 times.

I used to have kismet installed and I know it didnt play well with the wireless, but had not experienced problems like this, I have not installed anything on this device other then skype, and the problems started immediatly after the installation, though I still suspect this is a wireless issue.

The next step I would like to take is to format the internal card, I have seen posts saying that this may fix it, are there directions somewhere? is there a solution to this available? I would be very appreciative of any help.

OK, I have just reflashed again, I am not installing anything at all and I am going to see if the problem still exists... I have another idea why it may be behaving poorly, does anything know if it is possible that the battery contacts being messed up could cause this, I am quite confident the battery is good, because I can sometimes get a few hours out of it (with it rebooting itself sporadically) for gps etcetra. I'll keep banging on this and post my results, sorry if I bumped an old thread but I have yet to find a solution to this problem.

Also, after a fresh flash, no memory card inserted into the n810, my top looks a little like...
browserd is using 54% mem and 0% cpu
browserd is using 31% mem and 0% cpu (it is running more then once)
maemo launcher is running about 6 instances that I can see, by using the top and the shift+M command the instances or it running use between 0% and 1.3% of CPU and 23%-16% MEM, I find this quite confusing, this computer is using a lot more then 100% of its memory according to this (Please tell me that I just missed that lesson in the linux class)

it has yet to reboot again since I reflashed it ~ 10 minutes ago.

EDIT: immediately after I posted that it rebooted, it beeps and freezes immediately for about 3 seconds before it reboots, this leads me to believe it is aware of an error, is it possible it is logging it somewhere?

OK, with no memory card the problem persists, device functioned normally until I turned on the wireless, after connecting the device to a network, and attempting to use the web the battery was immediatly drained, got the "recharge battery" warning, and it shut off.

EDIT:
OK, in foolish hopes of this magically fixing itself I flashed mer (via the linux flasher, much easier then the mer installer), which is quite awesome but *did not fix the problem*. My next step is to replace the battery. If anyone has any other ideas that might help then let me know, I am pretty sure all has been exhausted other then the battery, and then the internal wireless card, which is not going to get fixd by me.

Last edited by tomjrace; 2009-12-30 at 01:17.

I'm also having this problem,
Isn't there a way to troubleshoot this? finding what is spawning all of those launchers?