Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Except for the idea to put applications in windows inside a graphical environment.

Wow, just wow. Please read up on Xerox PARC and the history of windowing GUIs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
wow guys it was a joke
even if we wanted to , the N900 wouldnt be able to handle windows and it would be too slow
unless we strip the windows out
but then it would be useless

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Originally Posted by bakuur View Post
Release of windows 8 by 2012 - I want to see you guys try to port that
~6hrs later

wow guys it was a joke.
Hate when people do that..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joshv06 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
i live in dubai , so when you are awake
im dead asleep

anyways i thought it would be obvious that i was being sarcastic

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Wow, just wow. Please read up on Xerox PARC and the history of windowing GUIs.
Yeah I don't really feel like reading up on anything. Thanks though. Let me rephrase what I had previously stated. Microsoft made the consumer level graphical environment mainstream.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-03 at 21:20.

No they didnt

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Yeah I don't really feel like reading up on anything.
That's bad. Real bad. Like you're saying that you'd rather just spout false information if it serves your purposes.

You really can't say "Wow, just wow." to a non-well known fact.
It's only a rather marked part of computing history, hell it was featured in a made for TV movie that focused on the rise of Apple and Microsoft. This is not some obscure bit of computing trivia, it defined a lot of what followed in the decade.

Let me rephrase what I had previously stated. Microsoft made the consumer level graphical OS.
Except this is still false, as Windows appeared for the first time in 1985 while the Mac was out in 1984. And this was AFTER the failed run with the Lisa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0

Please, if you don't at least perform a cursory fact checking before posting stuff like this you WILL get called out. Especially in places like this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
wow guys it was a joke
even if we wanted to , the N900 wouldnt be able to handle windows and it would be too slow
unless we strip the windows out
but then it would be useless
Jane, you ignorant slut. Sure, we knew it had to be a joke but since the world is made of all kinds of people, and to propose it without so much as a wry smiley-face, makes one wonder whether you yourself knew it had to be a joke. Even your amended comment of stripping the windows out of it shrills out, 'OH MY GOD I'M AN IDIOT!" like some poor misguided scrag seeking out attention, when everybody here knows that's my job.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Frankly, I just don't care. I'm not a forum diehard. I don't have hard facts, but that doesn't really matter to me on a Maemo forum, maybe in a college English class though. As far as I'm concerned, Apple wasn't a major competitor until recent years, meaning Microsoft was making the big bucks - there's a reason Windows is the largest consumer-level OS on the planet. And I don't take that 1984 commercial too seriously, maybe when it comes to Google in the next couple of years, but not Microsoft.

Except this is still false, as Windows appeared for the first time in 1985 while the Mac was out in 1984. And this was AFTER the failed run with the Lisa.
And ms windows 1.0 was far from mainstream.

The mainstream pretty much ignored ms windows until version 3.0

Please, if you don't at least perform a cursory fact checking before posting stuff like this you WILL get called out. Especially in places like this.

Tags
menowantwindows, windows 8, worst thread