Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Patents are tricky, they are often not what you think, so it might be quite easy to work around it. And of course, they might be agreeable to license for a reasonable fee even if it can't be worked around. Furthermore, if this specific idea hasn't been patented before, it is now unpatentable, since I have now publicly published it :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
How about making all keys in a sheet of molded clear transparent plastic, along with a cheap resistive-touch e-paper screen placed underneath the keys, and some led-lighting around it.

That would give a physical keyboard with fully configurable key labels.
As a means to save screen real estate, fine, but typing on such a flat plastic featureless surface feels as stupid as typing to touchscreen. (and propably even worse since you would not have haptics...)

I would like a real keyboard with real moving keys inder my fingers.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Oh, that isn't what I meant. The clear molded plastic sheet is molded because it has the shape of a keyboard with keys. The keys will move and spring up as usual, in fact many standard keyboards and keypads are made like this (but with black plastic and painted symbols).

It might need to be made of two different materials, one rubber sheet between the keys to make the keys spring back well and one clear plastic to allow you to see the screen through the keys, but it might even be possible to make in a single material that is not only transparent but also sufficiently springy when thin and sufficiently hard when thick; I don't know enough about the material options available, but I have gotten the impression that there are very many to choose from.

Last edited by stefanmohl; 2013-10-09 at 13:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stefanmohl View Post
Oh, that isn't what I meant. The clear molded plastic sheet is molded because it has the shape of a keyboard with keys.....
Yes, the page which I saw describes exactly the same shape as you stefanmohl describe. The shape tries to make the moulded or pressed keys "click" somehow; there are the same kind of almost 90-degree edges, like those of real keys. But as I've not had the opportunity to use it, I have some doubts about its tactical "touch and feel". Now that page is hard to find. Maybe they come across patent disputes or the product is not yet mature enough.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Guys, please do not forget the problem with the camera!
How do you want in the open or closed state to make photo?
Even in the open or pushed-out state needs the rail or the mechanics something space. And I think that will also cover the camera. Install a second camera with LED light on the keyboard is too costly and will take away even more space. And who knows if the photos are forwarded to the memory card fast enough via I2C.

You guys talking about tactus?

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Guys, please do not forget the problem with the camera!
How do you want in the open or closed state to make photo?
Even in the open or pushed-out state needs the rail or the mechanics something space. And I think that will also cover the camera. Install a second camera with LED light on the keyboard is too costly and will take away even more space. And who knows if the photos are forwarded to the memory card fast enough via I2C.
I guess that your comment would belong better to the "Other Half Feasibility" thread of http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91562
After reading the list of suggested OHs in the "Other Half Feasibility" thread I cannot figure out what you mean with the "second camera with LED light on the keyboard".

After writing the above text I now see that you intented to post your comment to my http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...27#post1379527
In the suggested combination there would be no extra electronics in the "Qwerty part" of the integrated device (perhaps the LEDs being the only exception). It's all about mechanics and design, also if the same concept were applied to a Sliding Keyboard Half. Please also note that it is an independent topic which has not much to do with the list of the suggested OHs of the "Other Half Feasibility" thread.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-09 at 17:02. Reason: Added the 2nd paragraph

The Following User Says Thank You to Egon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Ok I'll try to explain it another time. Look on the first page of this thread. since you have uploaded an image with a keyboard. Now you have to think that you close the keyboard now. What it covers in this moment? CORRECT the camera! Do you want every time open the keyboard to use the camera?

How can we solve this problem in order to take a photo when closed now? CORRECT: to brew a second camera with an LED ... but that's Bullsh**. Therefore, one should construct it so that you can take a photo in the closed state.

Do you understand what I mean me now?

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
Ok I'll try to explain it another time. Look on the first page of this thread. since you have uploaded an image with a keyboard. Now you have to think that you close the keyboard now. What it covers in this moment? CORRECT the camera! Do you want every time open the keyboard to use the camera?

How can we solve this problem in order to take a photo when closed now? CORRECT: to brew a second camera with an LED ... but that's Bullsh**. Therefore, one should construct it so that you can take a photo in the closed state.

Do you understand what I mean me now?
I believe that dirkvl added the "Leather maybe?" picture only as an example of a keyboard which seems to be put in a kind of leather bag. And to display its Qwerty layout. I think we here don't need to think too much about the functionality of the phonein the leather bag (the 1st picture). Besides, to me it looks that if the keyboard half turns 180 degrees on its "leather hinge" onto the phone, it covers only the small "back camera" (that for Skype etc). Of course if you turn the keyboard so that it goes behind the phone, it would become an obstacle for the main camera. But that hardly is the intention.

In this context it is better forget the way the Sliding Keyboard Half works, on its rail which slide the phone in front of the keyboard. I believe that dirkvl intented this thread maybe for the Qwerty layout and material issues. Although you are right about the keyboard if it slides on rails below the phone, please do not worry about the "keymat layout sample" picture.

Besides, a solution has already been found: the hidden part of the sliding keyboard (like those of N810 and N900) can be equipped with one or two holes thru which the cameras "sees" the object. Via the latter link of my previous reply you can read more about it.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-09 at 17:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Egon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I believe that dirkvl added the "Leather maybe?" picture only as an example of a keyboard which seems to be put in a kind of leather bag. And to display its Qwerty layout. I think we don't need to think too much about the functionality of the phone.
Exactly, discussions about camera funtionality does not belong here. All the other OtherHalf topic are way to crowded to have a sensible discussion. There is already a thread about keyboard+camera+extra funtionality here.

Oh yeah, the pictures in the first topic were the ugliest keyboards I could find in 5min, but they centainly get the conversation going!

Are there any people with experience with the Surface Touchcover? They look very appealing! Same as the Lauta, I would like to see a colourful keypad for a change!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2013-10-10 at 07:04.

Tags
the other half