Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Surely it can't be that hard to dump the source code, even completely undocumented. What is there to lose? But I guess then I would be complaining about the lack of documentation.
They can't just dump closed source and call it open. First they'd have to check they aren't using someone else's patents or licenced code. I imagine there's a whole bunch of other compliance and legal ****.

They'd also have to be pretty confident in their ability to keep their hardware designs ahead of their competition to spend millions on software that others can use for free because you just know their chips will be cloned in no time at all and sold for less with their free software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
any news about this phone???

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
No, not yet. But jolla is working on something. Could be Oysters. It would make sense to wait until the have figured out the second part of the refund and then announce since more money would stay in the compony as well as the get a few more devices in market.

Winter is coming. Christmas is coming. Refund and new jolla hardware would be perfect around December 11!

I would name it R2-D2(Refund 2 + Device 2)
Brilliant, right

Or Santa One...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-07 at 12:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
As far as I know Jolla has clammed up about Oysters.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
As far as I know Jolla has clammed up about Oysters.
I have heard that it comes with ClamAV preinstalled...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
But isn't it a bit shellfish to refuse giving any news or updates?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Well the last bit of news was about the android support for the media tech based CPU's which is what Oysters SF is running so I guess their moving in that direction

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have heard that it comes with ClamAV preinstalled...
Speaking of clamav, I installed Linux on someone's computer a couple of years ago because they had totally broken it with malware. I installed it as a dual boot and tried scanning using clamav from the Linux partition to see if there was anything I could do, then gave up. They have been using kubuntu 13.04 ever since.

Anyway, they brought it back to me this week because they couldn't log in. The cause was the freshclam log hadn't been rotating properly and freshclam had freaked out about not being able to contact the server with the virus definition updates, and filled the entire HDD with log messages. A 120GB plain text file!! Absolutely outrageous.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Speaking of clamav, I installed Linux on someone's computer a couple of years ago because they had totally broken it with malware. I installed it as a dual boot and tried scanning using clamav from the Linux partition to see if there was anything I could do, then gave up. They have been using kubuntu 13.04 ever since.

Anyway, they brought it back to me this week because they couldn't log in. The cause was the freshclam log hadn't been rotating properly and freshclam had freaked out about not being able to contact the server with the virus definition updates, and filled the entire HDD with log messages. A 120GB plain text file!! Absolutely outrageous.
Arrgh, thanks for reminding me!

I was tracking a rogue DHCP server in a lab network segment last week and I left a tcpdump session running on a console...
Now that I checked it the log has grown to 26GB already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Well the last bit of news was about the android support for the media tech based CPU's which is what Oysters SF is running so I guess their moving in that direction
Mediatek.... MTK....
It would be nice if we get their source because of that. MTK SoCs are the worst in that area.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: