Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
That's the spirit!

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Her response was "I didn't know we still had that! Do whatever you want with it".

So if you want it, it's yours for the shipping cost, which USPS estimates is about $25 US (assuming I can package it up under 2lbs/900g, and I think I can), because I'd hate to see you have to pay more in duties than it's worth!

It doesn't show up well in the photo, but the case actually has a subtle black pearlescence to it. I don't know what the onboard storage is on this one, but there is a micro SD slot, which IIRC can take up to a 4GB card. Memories of before-times fading . . .
Wow, you guys made my day! I am very grateful.

The truth is that I no longer expected to buy more telephones (I like old telephones with obsolete systems), since the economic situation in my country is not very good. In addition, I believed that no more phone was going to attract my attention again (I thought my collection was already finished). However, I've been reading like crazy about Palm OS and its phones for two days. I fell in love with the Palm Centro and the history of Palm OS. I have had more than 100 tabs open at the same time in my browser, haha.

I discovered this forum in 2017, thanks to Sailfish OS. He was previously an active user of the official Jolla/Sailfish forum. However, I found that this forum (TMO) was actively talking about other operating systems and older phones. It has been and is my reference forum for old Nokia phones, for Maemo, MeeGo and Sailfish. And also to ask about some other weird phone.

I am a user of other forums, but TMO is a family.

Thanks a lot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
OK, I plugged in the phone to the wall wart and it charged up and it turned on to the "select language" screen just as it's supposed to. GSM/2G has been dropped in my area, so I can't test the phone functionality, but I'm pretty sure everything was working when taken out of service. IIRC, my wife needed to have a windows mobile phone for some reason beyond her control. That HP "whatever" was a POS, frequently needing the cover removed to pop out the battery for a "red button" reset, as it were. She got really good at doing that quickly!

I've always had a soft spot for Palm, and didn't stop carrying my Visor Prism until I got GarnetVM for my N900. At that point, the N900 replaced (or mostly replaced) most of the portable gadgets I carried regularly or occasionally. Somewhere on the forum here, I think I've got a group photo of all the things the mighty N900 displaced: another phone (of course), the Visor, a compact solid state camcorder, a toshiba music player, a small digital camera (for all but "artistic" stuff), my N800, and my Sharp Zaurus.

Anyway, send me a PM sometime with your contact info and I'll get started on packing and shipping this cute little phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
OK, I plugged in the phone to the wall wart and it charged up and it turned on to the "select language" screen just as it's supposed to. GSM/2G has been dropped in my area, so I can't test the phone functionality, but I'm pretty sure everything was working when taken out of service. IIRC, my wife needed to have a windows mobile phone for some reason beyond her control. That HP "whatever" was a POS, frequently needing the cover removed to pop out the battery for a "red button" reset, as it were. She got really good at doing that quickly!

I've always had a soft spot for Palm, and didn't stop carrying my Visor Prism until I got GarnetVM for my N900. At that point, the N900 replaced (or mostly replaced) most of the portable gadgets I carried regularly or occasionally. Somewhere on the forum here, I think I've got a group photo of all the things the mighty N900 displaced: another phone (of course), the Visor, a compact solid state camcorder, a toshiba music player, a small digital camera (for all but "artistic" stuff), my N800, and my Sharp Zaurus.

Anyway, send me a PM sometime with your contact info and I'll get started on packing and shipping this cute little phone.
PM sent!

The N900 could do it all, haha. I have an N900 that I was playing with last year. Thanks to this forum there is a lot of information to continue using this great phone.

My experience with Windows phones has also been strange. WP8 and W10M worked fine on my Lumia 535. Later I got a 950, as they were very cheap after the death of W10M. I also have an HTC HD2 that I got to test the old Windows Mobile 6.5 system. This last system is more or less from the time of Palm OS 5. I probably like the Palm system more, I read that there are people who are very fond of it and nostalgia (quite the opposite in the case of Windows Mobile).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
You can also try to get a Palm Pre 1 or 2 (not the 3rd one). They have a "Palm-sanctioned" PalmOS simulator, more or less like GarnetVM except that it has a Centro ROM.

Of course the biggest problem is that damn capacitive screen instead of resistive...

A couple years ago there was no shortage of Palm Pre's in ebay.es

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
You can also try to get a Palm Pre 1 or 2 (not the 3rd one). They have a "Palm-sanctioned" PalmOS simulator, more or less like GarnetVM except that it has a Centro ROM.

Of course the biggest problem is that damn capacitive screen instead of resistive...

A couple years ago there was no shortage of Palm Pre's in ebay.es
I have a Palm Pre 2, a gem, I was impressed by the build quality when removing the back cover. I also really liked webOS.

When I gave up hope of finding a Palm Centro or a Palm Treo 680 (my second choice), I thought about using a simulator. But what I really want is to try Palm OS on a device from the past, feel myself go back over a decade, and see it in my hand. I would have loved to have a Palm Centro when it came out, but maybe I was too young to appreciate these gems.

What's wrong with the HP Pre 3? I thought it was better than the Palm Pre 2.

Why would a resistive screen be better?

The shortage of Palm phones is very strange to me these days. They are phones that sold many units. Other phones from the past are easy to find.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
As a heavy PalmOS user I think you are heavily overstimating what you'll find in a real PalmOS device. But I know that curiosity feeling so I'll shut up...

The problem with the Pre 3 is that due to the strange screen resolution cannot run Classic, while the Pre 2 has no problems doing it, and of course the Pre1 came with it.

Search around in this forum for the issue about resistive/capacitive screens. After about 15 years of capacitive screens I still keep the same opinion that resistive screens are just better. They work with cheap and small stylus out of the box, precision is orders of magnitude better (specially compared with even expensive capacitive stylus), and there is no issue whatsoever regarding unintended touches in the center or at the borders of the screen.

I was pointing it out because with PalmOS as it is (designed for stylus), it is a really bad experience on a capacitive screen.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
Good to see you again javispedro!

Phones: Motorola Moto G 2nd gen | Nokia N900
Tablet: Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830
SBC: Raspberry Pi 2

Proud supporter of open source software

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

Search around in this forum for the issue about resistive/capacitive screens. After about 15 years of capacitive screens I still keep the same opinion that resistive screens are just better. They work with cheap and small stylus out of the box, precision is orders of magnitude better (specially compared with even expensive capacitive stylus), and there is no issue whatsoever regarding unintended touches in the center or at the borders of the screen.
A resistive screen and stylus for a system running a GUI with more than say, four, touch points (for me) on a tiny screen is just plain essential. Maybe nine points with less fat fingers than mine. Or maybe more if you could get your fingers surgically sharpened. Even on the N900 with the relatively large screen, there were apps that could be easily used with fingers (like the telephone), but plenty that were way beyond the precision of my fingertips (and patience), like gnumeric. It was nice to have a pocketable spreadsheet.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Very nice review from 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvaFGGOUud4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post: