Posts: 68 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Sweden
Daft question, and yet i registered just so i could ask it.
Is there a web browser / Youtube app for my N9 that will actualy play all the current content? I keep getting hit with "not available for mobile devices" or "you need flash or HTML 5" depending on what app i try to use... I'm guessing the stuff i got is simply outdated, and was hoping someone could point me towards an up to date means of enjoyment...

Thank you guys n' girls for your time.
B!

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Ankara, Turkey

Great, i'll try it out. Thanks.
B!

Nope, that didn't do it. Cutetube throws a black screen with a red "square" with an exclamation mark on it, and claims it cant play the video. It seams to do this for every video, and not only newer content that requires flash / HTML 5 and fails on the other (default youtube) app.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Nope, that didn't do it. Cutetube throws a black screen with a red "square" with an exclamation mark on it, and claims it cant play the video. It seams to do this for every video, and not only newer content that requires flash / HTML 5 and fails on the other (default youtube) app.
Can you provide a few links to videos that you have attempted to play? Almost all videos should play, the exceptions being those that use RTMP and some of the age-restricted videos.

It could be your ISP is doing something that affects the response from the YouTube server. The methods used for obtaining the video stream are hackish, as Google don't like people interfering with their advertising revenue.

My website

GitHub

Oh god. Expose my horrible taste in music, here... Please don't make me do that.
Actually, i guess it's not that bad, i can always pretend i just picked a bunch at random, or went with what ever whimiscal idea, to get a glimps of some hot body.

Shakira - waka waka (Doesn't work on anything.)
Bloodhound gang - Bad touch (works on Firefox & the dafault youtube app, but not on cutetube)
ZZ-Top - Rough Boy (works on Firefox & the dafault youtube app, but not on cutetube)

Weird experience. Searchresults in the youtube app, firefox, and cutetube on the N9 differs from one and other, and they all differ from what i get here on the PC in Firefox. I went through a bit of extra effort just to make sure it's the same one tested in all the situations, and then pulled the link here on the PC.
Anyway, not sure whats going on. I'm using the same ISP for all the tests, since the N9 is using my WiFi.

Thank you for your time and patience.
B!

Edit
Could it be some configuration thing on the N9 that is messing with me?
/Edit

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr B For This Useful Post:
With regards to rtmp streams, are the files I posted here any use to you?

Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Oh god. Expose my horrible taste in music, here... Please don't make me do that.
Actually, i guess it's not that bad, i can always pretend i just picked a bunch at random, or went with what ever whimiscal idea, to get a glimps of some hot body.

Shakira - waka waka (Doesn't work on anything.)
Bloodhound gang - Bad touch (works on Firefox & the dafault youtube app, but not on cutetube)
ZZ-Top - Rough Boy (works on Firefox & the dafault youtube app, but not on cutetube)

Weird experience. Searchresults in the youtube app, firefox, and cutetube on the N9 differs from one and other, and they all differ from what i get here on the PC in Firefox. I went through a bit of extra effort just to make sure it's the same one tested in all the situations, and then pulled the link here on the PC.
Anyway, not sure whats going on. I'm using the same ISP for all the tests, since the N9 is using my WiFi.

Thank you for your time and patience.
B!

Edit
Could it be some configuration thing on the N9 that is messing with me?
/Edit
All three of those videos are working in cuteTube on my device. It sounds like your ISP is doing something that modifies the YouTube server response. It could be due to some traffic-shaping activities.

Can you download the web page for one of those videos and send it to me via email (address is in the 'About' dialog in cuteTube)?

cuteTube actually dumps the response when there is an error, but I think the qDebug output is suppressed in Harmattan for release builds. You can try by launching cuteTube from the terminal:

Code:
/opt/cutetube/bin/cutetube

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
With regards to rtmp streams, are the files I posted here any use to you?
I could use rtmpdump via QProcess, but I don't want to do that. It's a pretty ugly solution, and not worth the effort IMO. The available playback/download features for those videos would be different, so it would be a hassle to implement.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
All three of those videos are working in cuteTube on my device. It sounds like your ISP is doing something that modifies the YouTube server response. It could be due to some traffic-shaping activities.
They shouldn't be doing anything. I'm on a 100/100mbit fiber, with no restrictions anywhere, so if they are, i'd like to figure out how, what, and where, so i can tear them a new one.

Can you download the web page for one of those videos and send it to me via email (address is in the 'About' dialog in cuteTube)?
Sure.... How? I'm assuming you want it downloaded on the phone, and quite frankly, i have no idea how to do that at this point.

cuteTube actually dumps the response when there is an error, but I think the qDebug output is suppressed in Harmattan for release builds. You can try by launching cuteTube from the terminal:

Code:
/opt/cutetube/bin/cutetube
Um... Starting it like that actually works, and then i mean, everything works. Which got me thinking. Dependencies? I had to enable developermode, and install all the stuff that comes with it for me to get access to the terminal, and... Something there was needed? Just guessing here, but un-installing the package broke it completely, cute wouldn't launch at all. Restarting the phone fixed that, and now it plays video as it's supposed to.

Got a bit of logging in the console when i launched it that way, but since it was actually working, and not to mention i couldn't find a way to dump it to a file, i just closed it....

Weird issues to have, but since it's working... Great. Thank you all for your time and effort.
B!

Edit
After un-installing / turning off developer mode, i found a different weird issue, cutetube runs perfectly, but only once. Then i have to reboot the phone. Installed the package again, and the phone is restarting to see if it sorts it out.
/Edit

Edit
After enabling developermode again, it behaves as it should. I'm going to quit messing with it.
Again. A HUGE thank you for everyones time and patience, and a special thanks to Marxian for showing up so fast in the thread, not to mentioning the fact that he still maintains this app. You rock!
/Edit

Last edited by Mr B; 2014-06-06 at 15:11.