Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Hi guys.

As a Flash developer and member of maemo.org as well as owner of N900 I would like to introduce my new project developed and designed for mobile devices called FLAEMO

What is Flaemo?

Flash based and web based touch device friendly Operating System. Purpose of this project is to give you virtual desktop with all web based applications you might need available from any device you like. Considering HTML5 support in the future IF html5 will give you the same level of experience and cross platform consistency. At the moment is far away from 23kb of engine in Flash version. Considering the fact that hour "unlimited" mobile access to web has sometimes a 500MB/month number on it ad quality of network is very often crap make a lot of sense to keep it as light as possible.

I'll be very thankful for any feedback and suggestion from you. At present it's far away from what I wont to achieve there, but hope that short introduction there is good enough to explain my goals. If not, feel free to ask.
I have to say, I love Maemo and N900 and I couldn't help as c++ developer to much. This is my contribution to the community

Features

Canvas - scrollable canvas in any direction.

Desktops – implementation of multi-desktop solution. 9 default desktops laying on the canvas. Possibility to specify your own grid and number of desktops.

Screen modes – the choice of vertical or horizontal layout adjusts the graphics accordingly in a most visually efficient way. That unfortunately will not be supported naively in n900 due to lack of support for Flash 9 in full screen mode.

There is an option to force portrait mode but n900 need special treatment in this case.

Edit mode – you can arrange your desktop items in vertical or horizontal mode separately. Enhanced level of customization will let you change a lot of things. Entire GUI system is made up of layers, you will be able to use solid gradient colors or even textures. To addition to that you will get static layer called decorations for not movable elements (kind of master screen)

Profile Manager – former (Device Manger is no longer there). Instead you will be able to customize your stuff on mobile, desktop and TV profile separately by your own depend of what device you are going to use.

Navigation system - it's something you never saw before. In fact it's simple and let you use only one finger to all your tasks you might need. Idea behind was to put your head up again and leave your second hand free. Touch screen devices these days seems to be more natural and human friendly but a lot of GUI ideas came directly from windows-like systems which are no longer adequate.
Our fingers are not a mouse controller.

By the architecture design menu system itself is an external module that can be replaced in the future by any other you prefer better.

Accessibility - you will be able to share your profile with other users and decide witch element on your desktop will be visible for guests, your friends and yourself. Flaemo is going to get internal storage (aka DropBox) you will be able to store your stuff and access it from many different devices at any time.

Interactivity - you will be able to connect directly to your friend desktop and share a lot of things with them. Direct chat or even sending desktop widgets in real-time.

Couple of screen shots:

Closed Beta functioning release will be available in Feb 2011.

Public Closed Beta
http://www.flaemo.com

Testing profile - always up-to-date under development for testing and debugging purposes.
http://www.flaemo.com/?/dev

Enjoy!

Last edited by devu; 2011-01-31 at 00:04. Reason: Update

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
cool! can we run flash files with this??

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
devu: nice work!

This looks to be part of the solution...

If you are able to create a 2008 version, I am interested in testing.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
this is great work. cant wait to see it develop more.
what kind of feedback do you want

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
What features you expect to see, performance issues bugs.. pretty much everything to make it useful for you. And as I mentioned before, Is not my intention to replace maemo but extend it and make it available on as many devices as possible. From SkyFire s60 up to TV set.

For example If you have YouTube or myTube app on your n900 that's good for you. I recommend use it instead if perform better and save more power. But if you need to use your "virtual maemo online" by any other occasion share with others, use as personal website on your friend's PC or any flash enabled device, that will be perfect for you. At the moment it's early beta even Beta is to big world at present but I am working on possibility to make it customizable for everyone and for free.

Another one thing is to make it open source, framework for other flash developers and they can bring some apps not available on n900. This way you can extend functionality of your device. But I would like to have an control on quality of this stuff to make sure that is in mobile-friendly convention.

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-19 at 20:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Hello again devu, thanks for letting us know about the new name. Perhaps a moderator can merge the older thread with this one.

Originally Posted by devu View Post
What features you expect to see, performance issues bugs.. pretty much everything to make it useful for you. And as I mentioned there. Is not my intention to replace maemo but extend it and make it available on as much many devices as possible. From SkyFire s60 up to TV set.

For example If you have YouTube or myTube app on your n900 that's good for you. I recommend use it instead if perform better and save more power. But if you need to use your "virtual maemo online" by any other occasion share with others, use as personal website on your friend's PC or any flash enabled device, that will be perfect for you. At the moment it's early beta even Beta is to big world at present but I am working on possibility to make it customizable for everyone and for free.

Another one thing is to make it open source, framework for other flash developers and they can bring some apps not available on n900. This way you can extend functionality of your device. But I would like to have an control on quality of this stuff to make sure that is in mobile-friendly convention.

Hi Devu, I would like to see an awesome email client as simple as a Blackberry yet POWERFUL.
Thanks so much.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Didn't you already start a topic about this earlier???

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=601372
Why making another one instead of editing?

Edit:
Meh... it's getting late (3:33 already over here)

Sorry, didnt read your first post on the older topic...
why did u get that copyright stuff thing from adobe?
What happened exactly?

Last edited by HtheB; 2010-04-09 at 01:34.

flaemo - a flaming homo

sounds great, good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
a flaming homo

sounds great
So... u like a flaming homo? ... lol!

Tags
change the name, flaemo, flash, flash! aaa-aahh, please!