Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by devu View Post
Device Manager Class will manage which functionality can be run on your device. This way will show you apps only good for your device.
Impressive! That's pretty ambitious and forward-thinking.

Otherwise internet connection is required. More complikated way is to create SWF-2-EXE tool. And I have experience with Zinc. Hovever never on Linux platform. Maybe some developers here could help. I've seen KMPlayer able to play swf file and looks like some good option. I'll have a look.
Yes, KMPlayer can play swf files and so can MicroB (at least for the N810 -- I assume the same is true for the N900).

The cool thing about running from a web site is that you get the same set of apps for multiple platforms (Maemo, Android, netbook, etc.). The not-so-cool thing is when you don't have an Internet connection & it hits you that you can't get at any of your apps. The home run 'best of both worlds' option might be like Google Gears where you sync up both your apps (i.e., make sure the offline version was the most recent code -- if necessary) and your app data. But online only wouldn't be bad If they weren't mission-critical apps. After all, to state the obvious, web sites have the same problem.

Anyway, just some food for thought & best wishes for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Hi guys.

...I had to eat my own words here....

I have a lot of good feedback's as well and I want to thank all this people can find useful what I'm doing, helping with debugging ans testing. I'm glad it's majority. Don't worry, I will not drop support for Flash 9 as far as I can do something useful with this.

Shame, flash 10.1 will bring more features like cam, mic, tap support, accelerometer GPS even multi-touch. Which can be very good to create some good apps with that. Still hope 10.1 comes on N900 anyway.

I will create flaemo forum soon as internal app and let you know about this fact.

Also I am rewriting whole code and porting to the new language to abandon AS3/Adobe/Flash itself to improve performance and better memory management. Another one thing is Flaemo is no longer copy in any case of what Maemo is. Somebody pointed this out in his mad email to me as intellectual property issue but when somebody has right I cannot denied.

There will be completely different navigation system and OS structure, more finger friendly and intuitive as well as non-specific-device related anymore. I have another one good news. I've got some handy hands to help me with this and first game will come on Flaemo as soon as whole system will be ready to go.

I really would like to change the title of this thread to Flaemo WebOS but I have no power to do so.

Last edited by devu; 2010-05-10 at 21:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
So.. thanks to attila77 as you probably know this guy founded solution how to run Flash content and avoid web browser. That for sure will increase performance for flash content and I hope Flaemo will appear on the list

I need to know the FlashLauncher behaviour and restriction to be able to port Flaemo to this solution. But this guy bring back my hope to this community

In mean time I would like to ask you guys what you thinking about solution I am working on.

Here is early alpha stage of new navigation system for Flaemo:
www.flaemo.com/prototype
For reason I will leave you without explanation how it works and I will be glad to hear your thoughts about this.

Cheers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
wow i just found this thread. as a noob flash dev i have to say i enjoy the look and feel of the previous tests.
i am intreagued with the latest semi circular keybard you have posted.

keep up the awesome work

The Following User Says Thank You to wakkamis For This Useful Post:
Hi folks

Long time since I haven't updated this thread. ( And in fact Flaemo as well ) Apart of all rumors related with Flash and N900 I've back to this project. Its difficult for me, because I have to share my time with freelancing to be able to pay my bills. But I have a bit more spare time atm, so.. back to pleasures

So... Because we know that Flash 10.1 on N900 is kind of "fairy tale" subject I had to face one issue and find solution to solve it. As I promised I will not drop flash 9 support as far as I can. Especially because of N8*0 and now (I hate to said that) N900 is going to be another one reason. However I can't stop myself on flash 9 and whole idea was design to follow new trends and capabilities.

And now
capabilities

Flaemo has some build-in device manager to recognize what flash can or cannot achieve. But I'm facing backward compatibility issue.
How does it works in practice? You can prepare any content you want using AS3 and it will be compatible from 9 - 10.1 since you will not use any of functionality related to specific version. And Device Manager is actually the first that causing problems.

If you want to check some stuff that 9/10 doesn't support Flash Player will stuck forever. For this reason I had to AGAIN change the structure of entire system. Index file needs to recognize all of criteria before all of classes and methods will hit Virtual machine and then load flaemo as external swf file related to flash player version. That's the only way to have wide range of possibilities. More room for further optimizations but more work/time required...

Flash Performance
Some of you where asking me many times about technical aspects of flash player related to this platform. So, I've done some simple flash player capabilities tester for you.

http://www.flaemo.com/ctest/
This will be available on first page of this thread as well.

Using that you can retrieve more technical in formations as usually no matter witch flash player version you want to check. This class just handle incompatibility issues and pretty much represent what launcher for Flaemo suppose to do.

Here is couple of screen shots during my testing and observations.

This is Flash 10.0 On my old PC (AMD 3200+)

Here is Flash 10.1

Now more interesting bit
Flash 9 on N900 (Stock 600Mhz)

Flash 9 on N900 (OC 900Mhz)

Yes, Overclocking for flash makes huge difference. But as you can see its still lack behind 7 yeas old PC. The whole deal with flash 10.1 wasn't a video only. For reason I've put some graphic test for Flash 10+ to show you differences between old and new API. Another one thing that Flash 10.1 promised is ability to process triangle drawings by GPU.

That could speed up all of vector drawings and I believe even on N900 go close to PC results. Of course Flash performance is depend of many different variables and GPU acceleration is not always a case. Sometimes perform even worst. But with optimization techniques in mind hope will be possible to do a lot more for Flash 10.1 capable devices.

If you want to test drawing API performance on your own machine (and risk )here you go.

5000 iterations

For Flash 9
http://www.flaemo.com/ctest/5000/index9.swf
For flash 10+
http://www.flaemo.com/ctest/5000/index10.swf

50 000 iterations

For Flash 9
http://www.flaemo.com/ctest/50000/index9.swf
For flash 10+
http://www.flaemo.com/ctest/50000/index10.swf

PS. If someone here has access to Android Froyo 2.2 device, please don't hesitate to post your results here

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-26 at 19:06.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I really would like to change the title of this thread to Flaemo WebOS but I have no power to do so.
I'd be happy to, just not sure about calling it WebOS though (trademark issues and such).

Maybe Web-based?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
I'd be happy to, just not sure about calling it WebOS though (trademark issues and such).

Maybe Web-based?
Yes please!, you absolutely right with WebOS as trademark and I am happy with your proposal.

But the real reason why I am posting here is bigger . I finished up my contract and had some spare time over the Xmas brake.

In fact I left flaemo project for more than 5 months. New Year resolution is that I'm going to accomplish this mission and do something useful finally. In this same time calling all flash developers here able to help and join as well.

During that time I was doing a lot of experiments for flaemo and was looking for final concept of this idea.

And here we go.

it's the work under construction obviously. As you can see there is nothing in common with maemo anymore. Navigation system is completely different. I'm posting this to early but I've got a reason. I'm no longer able to test it by myself due to broken USB port in my n900. Have no idea how long is gonna take a repair but I don't wont to stop developing it because of that. Any feedback so far from N900 (and not only) users most welcome.

I'm changing description on first page of this thread to provide more info about what is going to be about.

Whatever future will bring to this project, access request on the old version has been suspended and all you who sent me this request before, going to get exclusive account for life! Maemo.org users will got special treatment anyway

Last edited by devu; 2011-01-26 at 23:36.

So.. I've got phone call from customer service that my N900 needs to be send to factory for repair and that will take additional 2 weeks! I'm keep going with the project and I am fully determinate to make it happen, however I'm blind without my device to be able to check whatever I'm doing against performance.

Any feedback here most welcome.
Thanks!

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Where to subscribe for a account? I'd love to test this to it's full capabilities. Awesome work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Liverpool, England
this looks really good m gonna save this thread to my desktop

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poogash For This Useful Post:

Tags
change the name, flaemo, flash, flash! aaa-aahh, please!