Active Topics

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android's browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft's uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.
He even has the nerve to say this?! Of course it had to be open because it is distributed under GNU/LGPL!

The Following User Says Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Jobs complaining about something being 'closed' is pure 24 carat comedy-gold.

Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
How about you let us decide what we want to run on our mobiles?
Well Apple let's you decide whetever to use Apple products or not, so problem solved. They don't have monopoly or commanding market-share.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-04-29 at 15:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Funny that first he says that things on the web should be open, and then says that everyone should go for H.264 video.

We also know first hand that Flash is the number one reason Macs crash.
What? A browser plugin is able to crash the whole system? I thought OSX had a decent security model but that sounds like Windows 95.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kegetys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Overall, Steve Jobs is right.
There really is no "overall" to that screed. It's too full of half truths, inconsistencies and spin to form any sort of sum of the parts. At best he's half right, anyway.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Everyone is pulling on their side of the table. Apple is doing it wrong, Nokia is doing it quite right, but no one is perfect

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
I have an open letter for Steve Jobs, actually two..F and O

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
I hope this is the beginning of the end of Flash. Please don't try and convince me otherwise. I'm a developer that owns a Chumby. If that doesn't mean anything to you, too bad. Your ignorance doesn't make anything Steve said less true. And if it does mean something to you, then you know why Chumby products don't come with batteries. Is Steve Jobs a hypocrite? Who knows, who cares. The topic is Adobe, and Apple taking on Adobe is just a free ride for the rest of us.

And to all the Flash developers out there, do what the rest of us do and expand your horizons. You're not gonna get much sympathy from old developers like me who know more and continue to learn languages and API's than they know what to do with. Languages and API's that probably dwarf and superset Adobe's sandbox by an order of magnitude. And do it better, faster, longer.

Mediocre, proprietary technology like Flash is being hit by a meteorite the size of Texas, let's all raise a glass and hope it produces a similar result.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
Everyone is pulling on their side of the table. Apple is doing it wrong, Nokia is doing it quite right, but no one is perfect
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...39251&from=rss
It's official. Ogg technology has been removed from the HTML5 spec, after Ian caved in the face of pressure from Apple and Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
there was a handset that was released in late 2009 with flash that works great! because it is not made by apple, which jobs only recognizes as a true mobile device, he is still waiting for it to be released.

unfortunately, even at this early in the stage, the n900 blows the iphoney to ribbons with exception to its application developement (fully closed to opinnion of jobs if it "gets in" which reminds me of my english teachers grading my papers in school, if you are not nice and they dont like you, your paper will not be good enough, no matter how good it is, rather then math, where the answer is the answer)

as for his complaints about being a "closed" application....dont get us all started here with your retoric crap, otherwise it wouldnt be illegal to actually get a hold of one of your precious iphoneys and make it work by "jailbreaking" it.

i think the problem he may be having is that he cannot just steal the technology of adobe like he does with everything else, and will not pay the licensing fees, which he could roll into the cost of his precious's even at thier current over-priced beauties.

piece of work. and usual BS he spews, talking about a positive spin of the company and how they "owned 20 percent" so this makes apple ok to about-face them, and then how what his company is the standard to follow, and how all the other is crap now., but remember, since we used to have 20%, they should follow me too.

my n900 runs flash just fine, and full web pages without mobile pages, and on touch-based device.

i think the best thing i remmber reading was the ad for the ipad that said it was "magical" and then at the bottom, said to start writing your apps to work on the ipad, rather then the ipad being able to just run the products?! :P

Back when I was at university, I took a class called "Decision Support Systems", which was about the creation of software systems to help in decision taking.

The teacher started the first class with this statement "Human beings take decisions with the liver instead of the brain. They take emotional decisions, and then they use the brain to justify and rationalize them." then he continued explaining how this systems should help to avoid that.

But that is what the letter looks like. Rationalization.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, apple, flash, h.264, html5, irony, jobs