Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I announce FlashLauncher for Maemo, your premier source for flash-based standalone content. The central focus is to build a central repository of N900-friendly flash content, but there are many other benefits as well.

A Note regarding the 'special' PR1.2 situation:
If you have a N8x0, N900 PR1.2 or later, install FlashLauncher. If you have N900 PR1.0 or 1.1, install FlashLauncher (experimental)

A quick QA:

Q: What ?
A: Qt based GUI front end that launches your favourite flash games^H^H^H^H applications

Q: Why ? (Why not MicroB ?)
A:
  • Less overhead
  • No intrusive elements (e.g. fullscreen button in corner)
  • No cursor mode switching needed
  • Verified list of working N900/N8*0 compatible content
  • Ability to run games that are not just a swf (think greasemonkey)
  • Force quality
  • Avoid ad or multiple flash element filled html pages
  • Force fullscreen support
  • Proper portrait mode support
  • Choose between WebKit, MicroB and KMPlayer plugin interfaces
  • Easily browsable interface with instructions/caveats
  • Support potential third party flash content distribution through maemo.org infrastructure

Q: How does it look like ?
A: I cobbled together a version that is able to launch flash apps through a rudimentary GUI interface (in Qt, and no, you don't need PR1.2 to use it). See attached screenshot.

Q: It's huge ! Why don't you optify it ?
A: It's optified. To operate, it requires Qt libraries, which, however, Nokia chose not to optify.

Q: What's the difference between flashlauncher and flashlauncher-experimental ?
A: Flashlauncher links against the stable libqt4-*, flashlauncher-experimental links against the bleeding edge libqt5-maemo5 or libqt4-experimental

Q: How many apps are in the database ?
A: The initial package ships with just 4 games in the database, and I would like to you ask YOU, the community gamer, to list your favourite flash game/app so it could be entered in flashlauncher's database.

Q: What exactly are you using to display flash ?
A: FlashLauncher has 5 'engines'. Two are via Qt's QtWebKit module, two via MicroB, and the last one is KMPlayer (if installed). I'll make a wiki page soonish to explain the difference and why you would want to use one over the other.

Q: My flash requires javascript, cookies, parameters, html elements, etc
A: The WebKit html and MicroB html engines allow you to load the flash via a page you construct yourself (and even inject javascript, a la greasemonkey). Check the global section of the config file for an example.

Q: How do I submit a game for inclusion into flashlauncher ?
A: It's quite simple. The db is a human readable file, /usr/share/flashlauncher/applications.conf so just write an entry based on the currently present ones and submit it in this thread (or PM me). It's really simple and fairly self-explanatory. For the impatient, here's an example:

Code:
[bloxorz]
name=Bloxorz
image=http://www.passionforpuzzles.com/blog/uploaded-images-2007/bloxorz.jpg
description=A platform puzzle game
instructions=Use cursor keys to move. Get the block to fall into the square hole to progress to the next level. 
engine=1
swf=http://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/bloxorz_miniclip.swf
quality=low
fullscreen=1
size=2280
That's all ! Comments, games, feedback, (reasonable ) feature requests welcome ! Currently in extras-devel, extras-testing/extras timeline will depend on the responses here.

PS Please do not submit commercial or illegal content. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by attila77; 2010-05-16 at 15:50.

The Following 104 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
amk332, antonichen, bald.eagle.one, Bec, bigears5000, blipnl, Bratag, broeman, brog, Brunorange, bunanson, Bundyo, buurmas, c0rt3x, cashclientel, cddiede, Chrome, clearorca, cobble, Crugath, Cue, daddeddad, daperl, DarkShadowSwE, DaSilva, devu, don_falcone, efekt, ejasmudar, elimoon8, erionzani, et3rnal, F2thaK, felbutss, fw190, GeneralAntilles, giannoug, gilamonyet, H3llb0und, Hangee, hardkorek, harp, HellFlyer, Hmoobwarrior, HtheB, humble, hycraig, ivanzorkic, jakiman, joppu, JorgeFX, jukey, kmare, krk969, kwurk, kylepsp, leetut, lostinmirkwood, magnuslu, Maj3stic, maluka, manvik60, md92h, mece, Midget010, mikec, mmlado, MohammadAG, mozr, mwrf, mymybib, Natan_xy, navsin, Nikem, NvyUs, nymajoak, omeriko9, qwerty12, raily, rlinfati, sachin007, salinmooch, saveas, sdixit, Sevanteri, shardul, shiny, sifo, slender, thp, tissot, tuminoid, ukki, vitamina, woody14619, xomm, yamakasi, zappa, zdanee, ZogG
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Nice work attila!

I assume your work could be reused to produce a package template, so each flash could be packaged as separate app? Or perhaps support conf file loading from certain directory so people could package flash apps that just depend on flash launcher and install themselves as conf (+local flash binary) to add themselves to launcher?

Such feature would skyrocket the number of apps for N900, at least in numbers if not in quality :-) I see a lot of trouble ahead if you maintain the thing by hand and provide content update via QA process...

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
YYESSSS. when can i download

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Thanks! I love this community

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
YYESSSS. when can i download
Right now its in app manger

Very very cool idea. Tried to install from app manager and got a missing packages error:

"Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)"

Am I to believe we can get this somewhere? Or, contrary to your post, we need PR1.2?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Very very cool idea. Tried to install from app manager and got a missing packages error:

"Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)"

Am I to believe we can get this somewhere? Or, contrary to your post, we need PR1.2?
Im using LPR 1.2

Edit:I notice you cant scroll without picking a game

Last edited by humble; 2010-05-10 at 04:16.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Quite a few things I've been trying to install say that as well:
Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)

I'm also assuming that I need to wait till PR1.2 to install this (and quite a few other apps)

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
This was on my list of 'planned apps that I'll never have time to implement', so I'm quite happy to see someone else got down to do it!

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Yeah... I got all excited with the mention that it was Qt with no PR1.2 issues, and I really wanted to know how that was accomplished...
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
attila77; This is a brilliant idea. It really simplifies the flash process.
http://www.flashearth.com/ might be a good addition.

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:

Tags
flash, games, launcher, webkit