Any updates since this? Did you (Wicket) ever get in touch with neo900 folks?

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
To those reading this, what are your thoughts? Is this a crazy plan or do you think it could work?
I'm really glad someone is still working on this. Yeah, it's a crazy plan, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

I'm in a similar spot right now being a grad student with no income, so I couldn't donate much, but I could donate a little like one of my n900s with a broken usb port and worn out keys (probably a last resort for you). It's a real pita working with those things, (think multiple battery swaps daily) but they do work.

The Following User Says Thank You to radiochickenwax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by radiochickenwax View Post
Any updates since this? Did you (Wicket) ever get in touch with neo900 folks?

I'm really glad someone is still working on this. Yeah, it's a crazy plan, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

I'm in a similar spot right now being a grad student with no income, so I couldn't donate much, but I could donate a little like one of my n900s with a broken usb port and worn out keys (probably a last resort for you). It's a real pita working with those things, (think multiple battery swaps daily) but they do work.
I did get in touch but I haven't had any response.

Thanks for your offer but I'd prefer to accept one of the other offers with a USB port as I've no means of external charging. I've had no time recently to work on the project so I'd rather wait until things ease up a little bit than accept somebody's kind donation and then do nothing with it. I may end up buying one locally to avoid shipping and import charges.

I have decided I will be going ahead with my crazy plan as it seems to be the best way forward.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I did get in touch but I haven't had any response.
Not that I am responsible for what Neo900 will come preinstalled with, but my impression is that it is just too early. Meh, we're trying to bring the onenand memory up as I am writing this.

Please, don't take the lack of response as if noone cares.

P.S.
/me hates playing PR guy

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
A little update on my side project.

I have managed to get hildon-desktop "running" on top of clutter 1.20, libmx 1.47 and gtk3 in amd64 Jessie image via systemd-nspawn/Xephyr. As stated before this is my own long term project so armel/armhf isn't high proirity just yet.
  • As a temporary measure I have copied the files from hildon-theme-alpha and set up the default symlink so I have some usable graphics (why they chose "default" instead of "Default" like everything else, who knows).
  • Menu doesn't appear correctly, ie. at all, and requires ctrl+backspace to return to desktop. Might be because the menu is empty, might be because I had to rewrite the entire menu tree code
  • Edit desktop icon appears, clicking that works but drop down menu is missing but then I haven't got around to hildon-home yet so I suspect that's the issue.
  • Apps opened from another vt display, with task switcher etc but it's a little tempermental (clutter timeline related I think), so you have to click a few times.

I've attempted to patch some of the depreciated functions in hildon-desktop but got annoyed working out how to deal with default clutter stage, so just turned off the errors. Nemomobile mce doesn't support all the dbus calls we use, such as enabling accelerometer or announcing orientation changes. These sort of things I'll go back to when everything actually runs.

Next step is to try and get hildon-home and hildon-status-menu running in some form. Might take a while to learn and then rewrite and gnomevfs bits to gio/gvfs.

Aapo: with regards to the pvr background images not displaying in your version, try copying the png files from /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds to /home/user/.backgrounds and renaming background-1.png etc. Worked for me, I still get messages about not being able to load ~/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr etc but it works fine and even N900 doesn't have them files. Don't worry about the cache file that exists on device, it works without for now. I imagine the actual process of caching the files there is part of hildon-home.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
A little update on my side project.

I have managed to get hildon-desktop "running" on top of clutter 1.20, libmx 1.47 and gtk3 in amd64 Jessie image via systemd-nspawn/Xephyr. As stated before this is my own long term project so armel/armhf isn't high proirity just yet.
  • As a temporary measure I have copied the files from hildon-theme-alpha and set up the default symlink so I have some usable graphics (why they chose "default" instead of "Default" like everything else, who knows).
  • Menu doesn't appear correctly, ie. at all, and requires ctrl+backspace to return to desktop. Might be because the menu is empty, might be because I had to rewrite the entire menu tree code
  • Edit desktop icon appears, clicking that works but drop down menu is missing but then I haven't got around to hildon-home yet so I suspect that's the issue.
  • Apps opened from another vt display, with task switcher etc but it's a little tempermental (clutter timeline related I think), so you have to click a few times.

I've attempted to patch some of the depreciated functions in hildon-desktop but got annoyed working out how to deal with default clutter stage, so just turned off the errors. Nemomobile mce doesn't support all the dbus calls we use, such as enabling accelerometer or announcing orientation changes. These sort of things I'll go back to when everything actually runs.

Next step is to try and get hildon-home and hildon-status-menu running in some form. Might take a while to learn and then rewrite and gnomevfs bits to gio/gvfs.

Aapo: with regards to the pvr background images not displaying in your version, try copying the png files from /usr/share/themes/alpha/backgrounds to /home/user/.backgrounds and renaming background-1.png etc. Worked for me, I still get messages about not being able to load ~/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr etc but it works fine and even N900 doesn't have them files. Don't worry about the cache file that exists on device, it works without for now. I imagine the actual process of caching the files there is part of hildon-home.
Is the code available somewhere (github etc.)? I would love to look, even if it's dirty

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Not yet. At the moment, everything is in quilt patches so I can track changes I've made easier. don't want to end up with a git commit log full of reverted changes at the moment.

I'm currently trying a build of ffmpeg-2.6.3 which isn't playing very nice with dh_install for some reason whilst away from home today. I'll look at uploading some sources soon, may need to update some nemomobile components again before I can commit my changes. hildon bits I might just upload tarball somewhere until I'm happy with it.

Dirty? Yep, definately in places for the sake of getting something running. Nemo uses rpm, which uses bash, therefore I've had to patch some of them. The ones I don't know how I've just left as bash scripts. Defines modified (HAVE_DSME vs HAVE_DSME_FIXLATER) to avoid having to disable support completely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I did received this error after the install_debian.sh script.

I: Checking component main on http://http.debian.net/debian...
E: Couldn't find these debs: 0xffff
Installation failed

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I did received this error after the install_debian.sh script.

I: Checking component main on http://http.debian.net/debian...
E: Couldn't find these debs: 0xffff
Installation failed
0xFFFF is the open FIASCO flasher. It seems that it was removed from Testing in March and consequently it didn't make it into Jessie although it's now back in Testing. It's not essential but it's nice to have. You can just remove it from the RECOMMENDED list in debian.conf to avoid the error. I'll fix it in the Git repo soon.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I: Configuring xserver-xorg-video-all...
I: Configuring libc-bin...
I: Configuring systemd...
I: Configuring initramfs-tools...
I: Configuring dbus...
I: Base system installed successfully.
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: libphy -> of_mdio -> libphy
Installation failed
You have new mail in /var/mail/root

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I: Configuring xserver-xorg-video-all...
I: Configuring libc-bin...
I: Configuring systemd...
I: Configuring initramfs-tools...
I: Configuring dbus...
I: Base system installed successfully.
depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: libphy -> of_mdio -> libphy
Installation failed
You have new mail in /var/mail/root
That's the same error that baranovskiykonstantin reported here. I finally got around to fixing it. To be honest though, that kernel is a bit old now and I really want to make a more recent kernel the default. I'm going to try one of pali's kernels although last time I tried one it wouldn't boot.

The other error you reported is now also fixed in Git.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7