Active Topics

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes but how are you going to achieve that, which mobile vendor is large enough that it has any leverage to force a SoC vendor to opensource it's drivers?? And if such a company existed, what could it gain from it, why would it do so??

It's just not going to happen, period.
That is exactly what this Purism project is trying to achieve.

And you are wrong, there are opensource drivers for many chipsets. Quite a few Qualcomm and Allwinner SoCs have mainline linux support (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99357). It is just that most drivers are made for the Android kernel and Android stack. It is hard to port them to the vanilla kernel and GNU stack.

I'm convinced we are going to get a phone one day that can boot the vanilla kernel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
TI'm convinced we are going to get a phone one day that can boot the vanilla kernel.
That's a no-brainer, I can boot a mainline kernel on just about anything.
For it to be useful beyond having anything else as serial terminal for I/O; well, that's another thing alltogether...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Perhaps MER is?
Sure, but they have no reason to choose mer over the PureOS distribution that they already maintain

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Sure, but they have no reason to choose mer over the PureOS distribution that they already maintain
That says right on the page in their FAQ:

Why don’t you build a free UI ontop of Mer (Sailfish OS)? Or resurrect Firefox OS? Or insert-name-here?

Because we want to promote a pure and unified stack, not have a separate mobile OS with proprietary bits or a completely different middleware stack. We want to support the community efforts of GNOME (as well as KDE) and allow for any GNU+Linux to work out-of-the-box providing mainline improvements that work not just on mobile but across the device spectrum. The Librem 5 is a new approach to use a regular Linux system and adopt it to mobile use-cases instead of creating a completely new system. We do not create a walled garden, instead we tear down these walls, creating an open utopia. A fully standards-based freedom-oriented system, based on Debian and many other upstream projects, has never been done before–we will be the first to seriously attempt this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Just stumbled upon it via phoronix. [1]
Some months ago I took a look at Librem's x86 PureOS (not to be confused with PureOS [2] ) which they ship with their laptops.
It seemed to me like one of those many largely pointless "yet another Debian spin" distributions, that simply take vanilla Debian, add their own artwork repo and call it a new distro.

While I usually don't like that approach, in this case however I'd call that a big plus if they go the same route for their mobile OS, because it would mean that even vanilla Debian should run on it.
This in turn would eliminate the one big flaw of Maemo: dependency of the user on the device manufacturer

From a SW POV this looks nice. I'm a little concerned about the HW design though. Librem has a tendency of mimicing the Apple design. So I'd expect a non-replaceable battery, which would just shift the point of planned obsolescence from SW to HW.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...purism-phone-5
[2] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pureos

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
So, will this be able to replace the Neo900?
Actually... What happened to the Neo900?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just stumbled upon it via phoronix. [1]

From a SW POV this looks nice. I'm a little concerned about the HW design though. Librem has a tendency of mimicing the Apple design. So I'd expect a non-replaceable battery, which would just shift the point of planned obsolescence from SW to HW.

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...purism-phone-5
[2] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pureos
According to their website, that should not be a problem:

Originally Posted by Purism website
Can I remove the battery and replace it?

Yes, like all Purism products, the case itself will allow you to access the insides, and the battery will be modular and can be replaced with ease.
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

I must say I like the idea of this phone. I'm seriously interested in investing in it, but I also invested in the Jolla Tablet. We all know how that went.

Last edited by Jozz; 2017-08-25 at 12:06. Reason: layout improvement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jozz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Lunduke show interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
According to their website, that should not be a problem:

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
I really need to find a way to express more clearly what I consider a "replaceable battery".

I mean a battery that I can swap out "on the road" without any tools.
Like with the N900: pry off back cover, take out old battery, insert new one, reattach cover
Or with my old laptop: unlock lock switch, hold back spring switch, take out battery, snap in new battery, lock lock switch

I can't do that with any of the Librem laptops (or a lot of "modern" laptops for that matter). I need at least a screw driver for that which in turn means I wouldn't want to do that in a crowded rocking train where I'd lose half of the screws in the process.
That's what I'm afraid of will also be the case for the Librem 5.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I really need to find a way to express more clearly what I consider a "replaceable battery".

I mean a battery that I can swap out "on the road" without any tools.
Like with the N900: pry off back cover, take out old battery, insert new one, reattach cover
Or with my old laptop: unlock lock switch, hold back spring switch, take out battery, snap in new battery, lock lock switch

I can't do that with any of the Librem laptops (or a lot of "modern" laptops for that matter). I need at least a screw driver for that which in turn means I wouldn't want to do that in a crowded rocking train where I'd lose half of the screws in the process.
That's what I'm afraid of will also be the case for the Librem 5.
Yeah nobody is making things like this anymore, and with good reason too. Most people don't bother buying secondary batteries for things, and so the benefits of having them quickly replaced is lost on them.

It's cheaper, more secure, and easier to seal against the environment to keep the battery internal, and so long as the thing isn't epoxied into the frame then that's good enough for me to replace it when it gets a bit old.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: