Originally Posted by bexley View Post
Thanks for leading this question. If solved it'll help a lot of people, myself included.
No problem.

I've submitted an enhancement request, please add your vote if you'd like to see proper support of wired connections

Here's the link:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2470

Thanks!

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
I have an adapter like that on the way, but for now I'm using a normal male mini usb cable plugged into N800, with the other end, and ethernet adapter plugged into a female to female adapter.
Please let us know how it works out. I'm standing by to find out more so I can get an adapter for my n800!

Thanks!
H.

Is the Realtek RTL8150 Chipset the only supported one?

Can't find any of these listed USB-to-Ethernet Adapters with RTL8150 Chipset here in Germany. :-(

Originally Posted by Guerol View Post
Is the Realtek RTL8150 Chipset the only supported one?

Can't find any of these listed USB-to-Ethernet Adapters with RTL8150 Chipset here in Germany. :-(
It's the only driver compiled into the kernel, but it should be possible, and probably not too difficult, to compile modules for other chipsets.

I've been meaning to compile a bunch of modules, just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I'll be sure to share them.

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post:
Ok, I finally got around to compiling modules, all of them compiled and load ok, so if anyone would like test them with other USB > Ethernet devices, here they are:

http://maemobox.org/dblank/usbnet.tgz

This should cover all adapters supported in kernel 2.6.21

Last edited by dblank; 2008-06-02 at 20:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post:
Thanks! I'll have the N810 in my hands tomorrow and I'll try to find a USB-Ethernet adapter on Friday to test this with. I'll read through to see if it's mentioned earlier,
but what exactly am I to do with the modules? Sorry for the basic question. Any progress on getting native apps to work with the connection? If not, what apps do work with it, and how?

Oh yea, and I still need to find a micro USB adapter. Not even sure which kind yet--A, B, A/B? A little confused there but I'll do some reading to clear it up.

Originally Posted by bexley View Post
what exactly am I to do with the modules? Sorry for the basic question. Any progress on getting native apps to work with the connection? If not, what apps do work with it, and how?

Oh yea, and I still need to find a micro USB adapter. Not even sure which kind yet--A, B, A/B? A little confused there but I'll do some reading to clear it up.
You'll want to load whichever module supports your adapter, that usually requires finding out what chipset the adapter uses, then find out which module, if any, supports that chipset.

Included modules are:
catc
dm9601
kaweth
mcs7830
pegasus

Extract from the .tgz like this:
tar -xzf usbnet.tgz

Load appropriate module, ex:
insmod mcs7830.ko

Then configure your adapter manually or via DHCP, and enjoy using command line utilities and other apps that don't try to bring up a connection dialog

No luck getting the browser to work, and no answer to my enhancement request on bugs.maemo.org, I haven't messed around with it for a while, was really hoping someone else would figure it out

Easiest way to make the USB connection would be USB-A-Female to Mini-B-Male for the N800, but for the N810 I'm not sure.

If all you want to use are "normal" applications, I don't think I'd bother getting an ethernet adapter until someone figures out how to make them see the connection, but if you want to just mess around, or use commandline apps, etc. go for it!

The Following User Says Thank You to dblank For This Useful Post:
Have you tried launching the executables (for browser etc.) directly from the command line in xterm ? I seem to remember the icons in the menus start them through some wrapper shell script that brings up the WLAN connection if it isn't already active... maybe the plain binary could work ?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Have you tried launching the executables (for browser etc.) directly from the command line in xterm ? I seem to remember the icons in the menus start them through some wrapper shell script that brings up the WLAN connection if it isn't already active... maybe the plain binary could work ?
No luck.. the only way I've managed to get apps like the browser to work over ethernet is by keeping a WIFI or BT association.

I'm gonna try messing with dbus again, I don't remember what I did last time, but I was probably half asleep

Sorry for the false lead, was probably only half awake too :-)