Posts: 91 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Pacific NW
I have read about the mini keyboard that some users bought from a couple of vendors in HK (I'd prefer they were in the US). However, I'd like to hear from other users what other choices they have made in selecting a keyboard.

I'm aware that Nokia recommends NokiaSU-8W bluetooth, which I've been told that is not available. I also seen others using a Keyboard by the name something like I Go.

One of the reasons that I bought the N800 because I travel frequently (for pleasure not business), and hate to take my laptop since I travel very light.

I'd like to hear from others for other options and of course trying to keep the cost down, and do send the link

Thanks

There's the iGo Stowaway; they're cheap and small, and fold out quite rigid; unfortunately the layout is only 4 rows, which requires two Fn shifts to get all keys. A little weird if you're doing much non-text typing. This is currently discontinued, but they're readily available on ebay, in the buy/sell forum here, etc.

The Palm 3245WW is my favorite "full-size" keyboard; it's only a hair larger than the iGo when folded, but it's got a very nice 5-row layout. It unfolds a little less rigid, so not as good when walking around, but sits more stably on a flat surface and types like a keyboard...

I don't know if you have an N810; if so you probably don't want a thumbboard...

I recently obtained one of these (got mine on ebay, before dealextreme carried it) and was actually quite impressed with it for a thumbboard. Unfortunately, I stepped on it two days after I got it. Dead thumbboard!

I use an adesso flexible USB keyboard with USB Control. KB took a bit getting used to but over the summer when I was biking to work, it with the N800 was my only computing device and it worked fine; even for longish typing sessions. Works with KDE too.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
one can find variants on this:
http://www.freedominput.com/site/ind...116&Itemid=112

under different brands. works like a charm for my use.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
one can find variants on this:
http://www.freedominput.com/site/ind...116&Itemid=112
Hmm... the Palm 3245WW I recommended seems to be one of those variants; mechanically the same, but the Palm is an HID-only version.

Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning more toward USB based since I'll be traveling and wouldn't be able to find batteries and don't want to take charger. I don't know why they are closed to $100.

I'll check the ones you guys mentioned

Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning more toward USB based since I'll be traveling and wouldn't be able to find batteries and don't want to take charger.
All the keyboards take 2 AAA cells, and you can go months of reasonable use on a pair... The folding ones switch off automatically when you close them, and the thumbboard had a switch, so not only are they using almost no power, they're only using it when you've actually got the keyboard out.

With USB keyboards, they tend to be designed with the assumption of plenty of power, so many of them use much more power than a typical BT keyboard; it just comes out of your tablet's battery instead.

so then it sound like the kb with batteries are the most practical to get sp for me that I travel frequently. The point is now trying to find a place to get one at a reasonable price

I have a logitech dinovo mini and it is great works a dream, super long battery life (nimh batt pack) and the n800 sits right inside of the lid when its filpped up so it looks like a tiny laptop. both it and my n800 fit in a larger nintendo ds case perfectly with a place where i store 2 xtra batteries for the n800, bud headphones, and extra sd cards.

the dinovo has a mouse emu. mode that would be great for kde/gnome/debian etc, if somebody wrote a driver.

the only downside is the price its like 140$ at best and as much as 160$ but its like it was made for the n800.

bhang

The Following User Says Thank You to bhang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berkeley, CA
I just took a look at amazon.com and noticed that the price on the Dinovo is down to $118. I'll bet we see the price drop even more as we get closer to the Holidays.

I am currently using an Apple wireless keyboard, but I think the Dinovo would be easier to use in places where I don't have a desk.

Does anybody have an opinion as to how the Dinovo keyboard compairs to the n810 thumb pad?