Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
By default, the Fn key on an external keyboard brings up a popup menu in several applications (xterm, Notes and evince, for example). In some apps, this prevents me from using the Fn + numeric key combination. Some months ago, I changed a setting somewhere to disable the Fn key from bringing up the popups. Now, I've installed the new OS update and, of course, it's reverted to the default behaviour.

The problem is, I can't remember what setting I changed before. I've searched the forum for "Fn menu key" but found nothing relevant (even though I'm pretty sure it was on this forum that I found the answer in the first place.

Can anybody help? Thanks.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
You may also want to check and see what type of keyboard is set in the control panel. If you are not using the Nokia one it should be set to generic.

Thanks, Johsua. It is set to generic. That setting seems to have been restored from backup. As far as I can remember, the Fn/popup setting was changed in a configuration/ini file, not in the Control Panel.

That whole post I kept reading "Fn" as "effin", meaning "****ing". Lol, I'm sorry, but that made my afternoon.

Originally Posted by noyz View Post
"effin", meaning "****ing"
And I thought Effin was a town in County Limerick. But you're right: "****ing key" and "****ing popup menu" represent my feelings pretty well.

The Following User Says Thank You to artkavanagh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Might the setting be around here?

/usr/share/keyboards/en_US.vkb

That's the virtual keyboard, but maybe there is a similar file that you can change for the BT keyboard. Although it sounds more like your problem is tied to the particular programs...

Thanks for that suggestion, Johsua. Sorry I didn't get around to doing anything about it until now. I went away in July and when I got back I was distracted by other things, such as work.

Anyway, it turned out that the answer I'd found before had indeed been on this forum. I failed to find it again using the forum search, but I just tried a Google search of "site:internettablettalk.com" and there it was.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=41949

Commenting out the line "<MENU> = 117" seems to get rid of the unwanted pop-up menus. It also seems to mean, oddly, that F12 is no longer mapped to the power button, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Thanks again.