My power cord is broken... seems a wire broke on the power converter end of the cord.

I therefore want to shorten the cord by 5cm.

I am unable however to open the power converter... I unscrewed the sibgle screw but that doesn't seem to help...

Has anyone opened it before? do I just have to cut it open ?

Thanks for any advice/help.

dwardo

Haven't actually taken it apart, but the sides feel loose. Try inserting a thin flat blade screwdriver (or guitar pick, if you have one), in the crack, and prying it gently open. Works for many/most electronics these days. The key is that there are indentations and corresponding teeth placed around that joint, so just go slow, and you should be able to open it without damage.

My sides do not feel loose at all, but I was thinking like you until I tried and did not succeed... I try harder again...

Anyways it's allready broken electrically so I can't break it more... I can only maybe fix it...

Dwardo

I had the same issue with the cable breaking internally. Twice in fact. Nokia eventually replaced the second one. The first I tried dismantling. The two screws are a decoy. The top and bottom halfs are actually welded together and you can only get inside by levering/smashing it apart.

If you carry the charger about with you alot this will keep happening. I bought the dedicated travel charger and have since had no further problems.

Thanks gowen...

That is ndeed what I feared...

I guess I'll try and cut it open...

2 screws ? I only have 1... I have the AC-4E model

Dwardo

Mine's the AC-4U (US?) I assume 4E is european? In any case, mine has one small Torx screw, and does indeed pop apart very easily once the screw is out.

Actually, mine was the UK model AC-4X so you may have more luck. Also when I contacted Nokia they said that accessories only have a 6 month warranty.

Well I was past the six months... so I just took a small saw and cut that baby open... I confirm it is welded...

Once opened... a little cutting and soldering did the trick...

The screw is useful since it holds it closed now that it isn't welded any more...

So I have 1 screww on one side and duct tpae on the other.. But most important I'm charging again...

Dwardo

The Following User Says Thank You to dwardo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by gowen View Post
when I contacted Nokia they said that accessories only have a 6 month warranty.
Accessories? I don't call it an accessory if it comes packaged with the device, and you need it in order to get the device to work. However, they're not expensive to replace. Unfortunately, the UK Nokia site shows them as 'out of stock' at the moment.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I have had one of these go too, could you see any reason for the connection to break? e.g. strain on the cable, or just poor workmanship, perhaps?