Wow. I have had my N800 (os/2008) for about three weeks now and love it. I have gleaned quite a few tips from this forum but I have a question about the amount of free memory (ram) that is optimal for the N800. I have deleted Maps and I have the the applications below installed. I have 73.3 MB of device memory available, I have a 4gb internal card with 128mb virtual memory configured and a 16gb removable card. Is 73.3 MB of device memory adequate? What other programs could I delete? What about the tutorial-home-applet, I don't know what that program is or does. Also, is Mplayer redundant if I have canola2 installed or are there some media formats that canola2 cannot run but mplayer can. Thanks for any help of advice you might be able to provide.

Robert

Additional search applet plugins
advanced backlight
Aisleriot
Canola2 lastfm
canola2 media player
canola2 tuning plugin
canola2 upnp
canola2 flickr
fbreader
fmradio
liblinebread
libutw
libzlibrary
lxdoom
maemo pan
maemo.org startup screen
mplayer
mplayer plugin
mytube
omweather
omweather database
os2008 feature upgrade
pidgin messenger
python2.5 pyinoridy
rhapsody

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
What you are talking about is not RAM, is mass storage. However, with 73+ megabytes you have plenty of mass memory free. I don't advice to uninstall any other package because you could have problems with your unit, at the point to brick it and need to reinstall the firmware.
However, if you like you can confidently uninstall tutorial-home-applet, but you better leave alone mplayer, which is needed by several audio/video apps (maybe also Canola).

Best tip to leave your mass memory uncluttered is to keep your media files (audio, video, ebooks, whatever) in the sd cards instead that into the (very limited) default internal flash memory. I.e. try to keep empty all the directories under MyDocs.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
You can also try to clone the flash memory to an SD-card.
With a decent card, you can get a speed improvement, and of course a LOT of space ...

Although the operation is not for faint-hearted, it shouldn't be very hard.
BTW, did you say "three weeks" ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Time for you to run Penguinbait's Console-tools and boot from your internal memory or from your 16-gig card. Then you can pretty much forget about memory limitations, maybe forever. Go to www.penguinbait.com, click on the link to Penguinbait's blog and find the link to the console-tools thread.

Then read the beginning of the thread and follow instructions. It's not bad, and the end result is well worth the effort.

Yep, only 3 weeks, a N800 newbie. I looked at the N810 but decided for ebooks, my primary app, the N800 might fit me better and for $125, how could I go wrong? I can't see needing any other apps then the ones I have listed. With deleting the tutorial, and moving the OS2008 user manual to the large sd, I now have almost 80MB of memory free. Are you saying that is enough to not impact performance and reliability or would I gain performance by cloning the os to the large SD. It is a type 6 card. If 80mb is plenty, I may just keep the os load standard.

It's pretty damn fast now. In reading reviews there were some complaints about the browser speed that had me concerned but upon getting the N800, it is as fast on my wifi as my mac laptop. Also, I have linked via bluetooth to my blackberry and the performance while not as good as wifi is pretty damn good also. I am a walking billboard for this device. At the price point for used tablets, what can compete with it? If you could output the signal video to a larger screen, it would be just about perfect.

Robert

yeah the N800 is a great piece of hardware.
If you don't really need extra space, you don't have to clone anything.
80MB of free space is more than plenty
I suggest that you try liqbase (really cool app) and Tear (a faster browser) and few others:
*Garnet VM is also interesting for mobipocket ebooks.(it's a palm emulator)
*Kchmviewer for chm files.
*Easy Debian if you like to have a full debian chroot .. (pretty amazing)

If you use fbreader all the time, I'm sure you will find calibre (a desktop application for PC/Mac) really useful for converting ebooks. mobiddrm may even help you

Otherwise, enjoy your N800 ;-)

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
For web browsing, install Tear all the way. Nothing else comes close.

Even better, grab Advoid to remove all web ads in addition.

Both are easy installs, especially if you get Tear from qole's server.

Kchmviewer is killer for reading books but it will take a chunk out of your remaining memory and the maintainer of the program is a real turd who breaks promises to people. *lol*

Wiicontrol will let you play Doom with a Wii remote if that's your thing.

VNCviewer will let you use your home computer as if it were on your tablet, complicated set up though.

If you want to get really excited about your tablet, I can give you a Google Voice invite so you can make and receive free phone calls as well as text messaging.

Originally Posted by robertw View Post
Also, is Mplayer redundant if I have canola2 installed or are there some media formats that canola2 cannot run but mplayer can.
I believe mplayer is *required* for canola 2 to play videos. As far as I know, canola simply provides a nice graphical interface and mplayer actually lets you play the videos.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Oh, I forgot to mention. Since you're using Pidgin, you should also install Pidgin-n800-led-plugin along with this.

You can have it so that your D-Pad will automatically start blinking if you receive a text message as well as a new email. It's very nice since you don't have to keep manually checking to see if something new arrived or not.

Thanks for all of the good information and replys. I have added a couple of apps based on your recommendations and I will probably post a couple of questions for clarification in the other software portion of the forum. Again, thank.

Robert