Posts: 7 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Nigeria
i installed cssu-testing-thumb on my device, i have the extras,extras testing,extras devel,nokia ssu and apps repo on my catalogue. i have battery patch and speed patch installed but i still get slow rumming devices which pisses me off. i need advice and guides.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
First:
flash anew and do not install battery/speed patch.
Second:
Nokia SSU and Apps repo??? They are gone! --> maemo-repos.com

The N900 is not known to be the fastest beast. But after a flash and fresh install it is not that bad.
What do you expect, to what compared, which specific task/software?

--
oh, and one more regarding extras-devel:
you know that this is only for peeps who can cope with a not working sW, strange reactions, borken device?
You should enable it only for specific installations or know exactly why you have it enabled.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Nigeria
thanks... uninstalled them. it kinda hangs when i play webos or browsing heavily,especially on my opera. it would be nice if we had a ram refresher app like androids.
i installed from maemo repos already. is it compulsory to enable the ovi:maemo repos,commu stable,commu thumb.
whats the best offline map app now,is a while i followed maemo.org, modrana takes ages to download tiles.
and facebook inst. msgr doesnt install; asks confusing questions."screen name", "username"

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by pharaoh94 View Post
thanks... uninstalled them. it kinda hangs when i play webos or browsing heavily,especially on my opera. it would be nice if we had a ram refresher app like androids.
i installed from maemo repos already. is it compulsory to enable the ovi:maemo repos,commu stable,commu thumb.
whats the best offline map app now,is a while i followed maemo.org, modrana takes ages to download tiles.
and facebook inst. msgr doesnt install; asks confusing questions."screen name", "username"
Well, there's no GUI, but there's no reason to think it can't be done...

You need to be root

Code:
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
More info here:
http://www.linuxinsight.com/proc_sys...op_caches.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pharaoh94 View Post
whats the best offline map app now
You might give Navit a try. Haven't tried it myself though, so I have no idea how useful it is.
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=838

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Read somewhere speedpatch and battery patch tinker with something in system which are not restored when it is deleted, so its better to re flash it.

try swappolube (GUI), thats much more powerful than ram-refresher.

for non-JS surfing, use dillo.. Thats the fastest browser . :P Just gets the work done, like searching and reading blogposts etc. No fb or any JS stuff... Or may try OM4 on microemulator.. works OKAY...
Or use debian image to use NETSURF (but no flash related stuff ).. fast enuf, for daily work.

No idea about games though. Try using swap on sd card + emmc, may help with RAM as two IO options for swapping !!

FB msgr can be replaced with Pidgin or Some QT app in repos ( Dont remember the name). I think lastest FB api has issues with pidgin .... For FB surfing FB java app can be used in micro emulator..