Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Oh yeah one more thing. Warehouse should NEVER uninstall a package that is installed by default by Jolla. There must be a flag to check for that. I removed an app I have installed and Warehouse removed a lot of packages (as deps), ie perl, so I ended up installing the same package again and everything were put back in place, luckily! I'm not 100% sure of this as I've been messing around a lot on my jphone but it definitely is worth mentioning at least.
I guess that was autoremove of unused deps. Will fix that also.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Well, unused deps should be removed but it should not remove packages that are installed by default by Jolla, or installed by the user directly. I think the term is "explicitly installed" and there should be a flag for that.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Well, unused deps should be removed but it should not remove packages that are installed by default by Jolla, or installed by the user directly. I think the term is "explicitly installed" and there should be a flag for that.
I cannot control that directly, since packagekit is resolving deps. He desides what can be removed, and what cannot be.

I will just disable unused deps removing for now, until that stuff clarified.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Ahh, I see. Yeah that is a Jolla bug if that's the case. They must fix that in their flasher/installer. But then it's best to not do it otherwise it could remove vital stuff too and make the phone not bootable.

Edit: Take a look here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284686

It seems that rpm doesn't got a flag for this.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2014-01-11 at 00:42.

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Message "Package xxxx is not user package" ande then no install etc!? What's wrong here?

EDIT: Ok apt-get install in terminal if repository installed!

Last edited by Garp; 2014-01-11 at 17:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Garp For This Useful Post:
Ahh, I see. Yeah that is a Jolla bug if that's the case. They must fix that in their flasher/installer. But then it's best to not do it otherwise it could remove vital stuff too and make the phone not bootable.

Edit: Take a look here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=284686

It seems that rpm doesn't got a flag for this.
As I expect, vital stuff wont be removed. Manually installed deps (which are not automatically pulled in, but pkcon install/etc) should also be inplace. From my point I can forbid rpm to remove anything except target package.

The Following User Says Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Yes that's right. I tested a bit more now and first uninstalled panucci which removed perl, among other things, and then I manually installed perl with pkcon and then I installed/removed panucci and perl stayed on so it seems that it works as it should, only unused deps are removed by Warehouse.

Edit: I'm guessing it's libzypp that keeps track of this as rpm can't.

Last edited by xerxes2; 2014-01-11 at 22:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
From my point I can forbid rpm to remove anything except target package.
Just wondering, how would it fit the current UI scheme that if there are unrequired packages, Warehouse would ask on the spot whether to uninstall only the target package or everything?

Last edited by minimos; 2014-01-14 at 07:07. Reason: s/install/uninstall/

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Just wondering, how would it fit the current UI scheme that if there are unrequired packages, Warehouse would ask on the spot whether to install only the target package or everything?
If package have deps which are available, they will be installed automatically. There is no popup with notification, that extra downloads required. This will be added in future releases.

If deps are not available, error message will be shown with packages which are required, but not available.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
From my point I can forbid rpm to remove anything except target package.
Is there something seriously wrong with zypper/pkcon?

Maybe it's only me (I'm used to Archlinux's pacman), but I expect this behavior:
When installing a package, it should install all the dependencies, if available.
When removing a package, it should check whether the dependencies originally installed are now owned (required) by any other package. If not, it should remove them, or at least notify the user which dependencies are no longer needed by any installed package so the user can remove them.

Tags
app store, application, awesomeness, client, harmattan, immortalmeego, repository, sailfish os