Active Topics

With the first thread on the bugs/quirks... Let me qualify these by saying I've been using mine for around 3 hours now and in general I am stoked with it - it looks fantastic and the potential is immense. Still like any "bleeding edge" product it's not yet perfect although hopefully most of these issues can be fixed with some software upgrades.

Some of the problems I have experienced:

(1) Bookmarks - I could only add them to the "root" folder. Try adding a new folder, and it didn't appear on the dialog underneath. Tried again with the same name - complained with an error. Tried again with a different name - no error but still not showing on the dialog underneath. Also tried this through the "Move to" option in the Bookmarks management page and it didn't work there either. Shut down and restarted the device - suddenly the "My bookmarks" folder is clickable and expands to show my subfolders. Something funny going on... As an extra - please make it so the "Move to" dialog has at least the first-level subfolder tree expanded by default to save the extra clicks...

(2) Stability. 3 hours use and have restarted it a couple of times plus closed/reopened the browser a number of times. Seems to freeze sometimes after surfing through a few pages when you then try an action which has a dialog. You click on the "OK" button and it does nothing - you can however press the "Escape" key to back out of the dialog in some cases. Other times I try clicking on a web link to navigate to it and it won't work. Try the same thing with the physical keys, still won't. Close the browser, go to the same page - bingo all starts working again...

(3) Connection setup. Had quite a bit of trouble getting connected to begin with, mainly due to how locked down I had my wireless network at home (Netgear DG834G router). For some "bizarre" reason the WEP ASCII passphrase on the 770 is required to be a specific number of characters (ie. 13 for 128-bit) - whereas the router has no such restriction. Changed my password and that worked ok. Did have some troubles with WPA-PSK initially but tried again now and it works fine.

(4) Connection stability. It "loses" connection a lot. And I don't mean with weak signal and solid brick walls - I'm sitting right now next to the router and it just went again. Of course who's to say the problem couldn't be blamed on my router...

(5) On-screen keyboard. Quite a few annoyances on the layout - for instance, why have a "minus" next to the 0 instead of a period? Fooled me many times - especially when trying to type in IP addresses. Only just realised you can use the physical cursor keys to go forward/back - kept looking for a non-existent on screen key to do that. I can find no on screen equivalents for "End", "Home" or "Del". Also takes some getting used to the spacebar "moving" with the autosuggestions - a few times have just clicked where the space bar was "one letter previously" to then have chosen a word I didn't want.

(6) Handwriting recognition. It's pretty poor - gave up fairly quickly and returned to the hunt and peck of the on-screen keyboard. Does it have any learning capability or is that as good as it gets?

(7) A note for the manual writers - I showed true amateur hour numpty status by not being able to figure out how to insert the RS-MMC card to make it fit. I thankfuly refrained from trying to force it and put it back in the box. Only later when I "tried again" did I realise the RS-MMC has a removable "adapter" - yeah obvious in hindsight but not when you haven't used one of those memory card types before and it's not mentioned/shown on any diagrams I saw...

(8) Speaking of weird - what's with the two L-shaped plasticky bits that look like some sort of stand in the bottom of the box? No mention in any manuals and can't see how they could be at all useful/stable - what am I missing?

Hope the above is seen as "constructive and informative" - as stated I really do like it, honest!

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London
I've aded bookmarks to folders no problem. You can even drag them around to move them.

Stability is ok. Most problems seem to be memory issues that take time to resolve on the device.

Not had a problem with setting up connections. Got six different wireless and phone setup.

No real problems with connection stability.Did you change the timeouts? The device automatically drops the connection when the last network application is closed.

I like the keyboard. Agree about the shrinking spacebar though, but you get used to it. Typing this message on it!

You can teach the handwriting. Check the settings app.

The two plastic bits are the stand silly! Join them into an X.

I have to agree with Kiwidude on points 7 & 8. I couldn't figure it out why the memory card wouldn't go in completly.
It didn't take me long to get it but I had to scratch my head for a few seconds. Concerning the two L-shaped plasticky bits, thanks for the "join them into an X" tip Weavus.

Thanks Weavus for your comments and answers - especially about the stand. It's like the RS-MMC thing - obvious once you know, not always so obvious without a diagram or mention of it in the manual at the end of a 14 hours work day...

How do I change the timeouts? The problems I have had with connections are mainly when navigating pages etc so I did "have" a connection to begin with. Other times for instance clicking on the "refresh" for the news headings it has taken a number of failed connection attempts before succeeding. My wireless strength is maximum green bars and sitting right next to the router so I shouldn't be having that much of a problem I think.

As I said I did get the bookmarks working after the "reboot" - but it had several occasions where the device would be fairly unresponsive to taps or key clicks (with minimal apps open or going on in the background so not a memory capacity issue). It's not the end of the world, and the boot time is fairly quick when I have to resort to that but it's obviously not something I hope to always be doing...

Thanks again for your response, always interested to hear if others find similar issues or if I'm just "unlucky"...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Add to 5) minus is a design choice, you have got dot in the main keyboard area, but minus is not anywyhere on the main keyboard

Add to the crashes and restarts... havnt had a single issue witht he device so far. What is your firmware version?
Control Panel -> Device -> About product

Originally Posted by kiwidude
How do I change the timeouts?
Try the Connectivity app in the control panel. That has an idle timeout tab. I cannot remember what the defaults are though.

I set my idle timeout for WLAN as Unlimited but remember that the battery will be drained faster as WLAN is expensive on the battery.

Originally Posted by kiwidude
but it had several occasions where the device would be fairly unresponsive to taps or key clicks (with minimal apps open or going on in the background so not a memory capacity issue)
I find it sorts itself out after a minute or so. I still think its memory related. Some webpages are huge memory hogs (mainly due to images and whatnot) and thats where I normally find I run into problems with unresponsiveness.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
3. Connection setup : I had the same , had to reprogram the airport with 13 keys password.

7. Manual : Yes , this sliding in of the memory card is a bit tricky
8. The two plastic pieces : Another manual issue

Originally Posted by JPB
3. Connection setup : I had the same , had to reprogram the airport with 13 keys password.
A 128 bits WEP key is composed of a 24 bits initialisation vector and a 104 bits shared key. The latter is actually the key shared between the AP and the device. Since 104 bits = 13*8, it _must_ be 13 ASCII characters long, or 26 HEX digits. Even though your AP allows you to enter longer keys, it probably uses only the first 13 characters.

Originally Posted by Weavus
Try the Connectivity app in the control panel. That has an idle timeout tab. I cannot remember what the defaults are though.

I set my idle timeout for WLAN as Unlimited but remember that the battery will be drained faster as WLAN is expensive on the battery.
I found the timeout tab - the default is 60 minutes which I haven't changed so that can't be the problem. Thanks for telling me where it is though!

Originally Posted by Mythic
Add to 5) minus is a design choice, you have got dot in the main keyboard area, but minus is not anywyhere on the main keyboard

Add to the crashes and restarts... havnt had a single issue witht he device so far. What is your firmware version?
Control Panel -> Device -> About product
The firmware version is 1.2005.42-9.

As for the minus sign - I take your point about it not being on the "main" keyboard and it being a design choice, however imho it its a BAD design choice to put it next to 0. There is only a couple of pixels difference between a minus and a period which on a small screen is barely noticeable. To compound that look at a conventional keyboard numeric keypad and look at what key is next to zero... hence my natural instinct to utilise it several times and then having to delete afterwards.

Originally Posted by Samuel
A 128 bits WEP key is composed of a 24 bits initialisation vector and a 104 bits shared key. The latter is actually the key shared between the AP and the device. Since 104 bits = 13*8, it _must_ be 13 ASCII characters long, or 26 HEX digits. Even though your AP allows you to enter longer keys, it probably uses only the first 13 characters.
Fine - although I question whether someone somewhere is getting confused between the ascii keyphrase and the 26-character hex key generated. My router allows me to type a keyword phrase of less than 13 characters, and still considers that sufficient for WEP encryption to generate a HEX sequence. Likewise so did my laptop and PDA for connecting to that router. None of them required me to type in an exact 13 characters - only the 770 did. That same "keyphrase" is what I type in to the 770 - I thought the hex representation is just some encypted equivalent that is not directly related to the length of your keyphrase. If I'm talking rubbish I'm sure someone will correct me!

It's certainly not "the end of the world" using a 13 character password, I was merely observing that I had to make that change elsewhere just to please the 770.