My screen is almost broken. Its surface was damaged and at the moment most of the time an area of the screen is continuously pressed. So screen management is impossible during such periods that are each time longer (now longer than periods in which is not pressed anymore).

I can do several things from the terminal, but in a very limited way as I can not use the virtual keys where i have symbols like Esc/M, | or <, >. Theoretically in a couple of days I will have a jolla phone, but I was planning in keeping my N900 as a "work tablet" for some tasks (its difficult to think in leaving it hehe)...
Basically, I have two questions:

1) How to manage the phone without the screen input:
Is there a way to stop reading the input of the touch screen and of controlling a "virtual mouse" with the keyboard. Has someone done it?

2) Has anyone repaired the screen recently? I don't mean by yourself, but in anyway. I have found some links in TMO, but all of them are very old and not working anymore. I don't know whether there is the posibility to buy new screens, and if there is any video of how to do it. I will prefer to carry mobile to someone more used to repair such kind of things, but I am afraid he woudnt remember about n900, and i would be more confident if i can show him a how to video.
I think, at least Neo900 people should know how to buy screens as far as they are supposed to sell it...

The Following User Says Thank You to antviro For This Useful Post:
Why don't you just remap the keybord ? Anyway, is deadly easy to change the screen. Just be sure you're using the rigth tools.

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
Why don't you just remap the keybord ? Anyway, is deadly easy to change the screen. Just be sure you're using the rigth tools.
I will have to chose which character to loose hehehe but i will remap it.

About repairing screen do you know some link to how to do it. I have never open the mobile, and I am very bad on "hands stuff". On the other hand, at other forum thread somebody told it was difficult to buy a non-fake screen. Have you buy any one? (to know some reliable provider)

Thanks!!

EDIT: I found videos (replacing screen)

Last edited by antviro; 2015-11-25 at 15:08.

By the way, I have been looking how to remap in N900, and OK there is a wiki that seems easy to follow. But I haven't found anything about how to "pause" inputs from screen. Or how to replace "mouse" movements through screen. Will it be a code for the xbk map? Aim would be something like http://en.linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_use..._mouse_in_XOrg

Nevertheless, repairing the screen would be the better option of course!! hehe

Originally Posted by antviro View Post
I will have to chose which character to loose hehehe but i will remap it.

About repairing screen do you know some link to how to do it. I have never open the mobile, and I am very bad on "hands stuff". On the other hand, at other forum thread somebody told it was difficult to buy a non-fake screen. Have you buy any one? (to know some reliable provider)

Thanks!!

EDIT: I found videos (replacing screen)
You don't need to loose any key. Just use the shift + blue arrow to map the extra characters. Take a look at mine attached. Sadlly I don't remember who wrote the patches that I have applied. I've changed only the last lines to inmclude tilde, circumflex and acte.Just rename to get rid off the .txt extension and put the file at the appropriate place. Be careful and backup YOURS before.
Edit: and about the screen, you're rigth. I bought 2 and one of was total crap but the other was really good. Sadly I can't remember where that good one came from. Sorry..
Good luck !
Attached Files
File Type: txt rx-51.txt (18.2 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by saponga; 2015-11-25 at 17:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
You can disable touchscreen using xinput (not included in maemo):
xinput --set-prop 2 "Device Enabled" 0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
You can disable touchscreen using xinput (not included in maemo):
xinput --set-prop 2 "Device Enabled" 0
how to use the device with just the keyboard then ?

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
how to use the device with just the keyboard then ?
combining C-del with keys 1,2,3 ... for moving across windows, S-1, S-2, ... to close them, shortcuts like the one that opens xterm and shell scripts, nevertheless I have to repair screen as it is not a real solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to antviro For This Useful Post: