Notices

Originally Posted by thp View Post
Here's a suggestion: The "clean" way would probably be to install any "default config" files somewhere below /usr/share/<appname>/ and then on application startup check if the files in ~ exist, and if not, copy them from /usr/share/<appname>/. This way, the package can "manage" and "upgrade" the template files in /usr/share/<appname>/ without disrupting the user's (potentially modified) config in ~. And if the files are not meant to be modified, they should go into /usr/, anyway

(btw: Quick Clip works great for me so far )
That's a really good idea; I already implemented a "if not path" exists system, but still, a good alternative.

BTW, Faheem and Thomas, I added both of you to my "Thanks To:" list in the newest version. If you explicitly don't want to be listed just tell me and I'll remove you from it I thought I needed to give credit where it was certainly due.

P.S. @thp: I took up your suggestion about writing a webserver for Quick Clip; it dynamically generates an HTML file listing and servers it out, allowing you to easily read your files anywhere.

I'll email you back about it when I get it working well (right now it's a command line program that is completely insecure).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
BTW, Faheem and Thomas, I added both of you to my "Thanks To:" list in the newest version. If you explicitly don't want to be listed just tell me and I'll remove you from it I thought I needed to give credit where it was certainly due.
Hehe, thank you

I need to update it on my N800 actually

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
skatebiker:

I just built a test version. Do you mind testing it out? It's attached to this post.
It works !!
Finally after a reflash of my device (and considerable cleanup even after restoring my own settings and applications) Quickclip runs normally.
I installed it from the green arrow in the first post in this thread.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
It works !!
Finally after a reflash of my device (and considerable cleanup even after restoring my own settings and applications) Quickclip runs normally.
I installed it from the green arrow in the first post in this thread.

Thanks.
Cool, that's terrific.

I have 0.4.5 in extras-devel and I think it is ready for promotion, anybody willing to test it out?

Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
0.4.5 installed with no problems and seems to work fine. I'm too much of a dullard to notice what's new specifically with this release, but I like the Select All button and the text magnifiers in the Viewer.

I've found I'm happier with GTK than Moko and glad I've had the choice. I don't know if the scrolling changed a release or two ago, but I find the scrolling slow now, even though I used to be fine with it. But frankly I don't care, as I'm pleased with the GTK scrollbar.

Still a great program. In fact, I use it as my general notes/info manager instead of Tomboy/Conboy or Keepnote or whatever since it's so convenient and the seach function is so good. I don't recall if all the search terms were hightlighted before, but if that's new, I like it.

You've made reference to Quick Clip having a server function where it's always accessible, but I haven't understood if that's implemented yet and quite what to do with it if it is.

In sum, Thanks again, great app!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fyi the Fremantle version doesn't work. It installs, requests to reboot the device (is this really needed) but then no Quick Clip appears anywhere.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
0.4.5 installed with no problems and seems to work fine. I'm too much of a dullard to notice what's new specifically with this release, but I like the Select All button and the text magnifiers in the Viewer.

I've found I'm happier with GTK than Moko and glad I've had the choice. I don't know if the scrolling changed a release or two ago, but I find the scrolling slow now, even though I used to be fine with it. But frankly I don't care, as I'm pleased with the GTK scrollbar.

Still a great program. In fact, I use it as my general notes/info manager instead of Tomboy/Conboy or Keepnote or whatever since it's so convenient and the seach function is so good. I don't recall if all the search terms were hightlighted before, but if that's new, I like it.

You've made reference to Quick Clip having a server function where it's always accessible, but I haven't understood if that's implemented yet and quite what to do with it if it is.

In sum, Thanks again, great app!
Hi,

Depending on which version you were using previously, some or all of those things will be new. The biggest changes have been "under the hood" since the last stable release (0.4.2).

The webserver is planned for 0.5.0, which is not yet ready to be released. 0.5.0 I'm hoping will include full Fremantle support and new features (like a webserver). Other "way-out-there" ideas have been to write Quick Clip files in HTML, but so far that's just an idea (it's technically difficult to implement).

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
fyi the Fremantle version doesn't work. It installs, requests to reboot the device (is this really needed) but then no Quick Clip appears anywhere.
Unfortunately, the Fremantle SDK does not (yet) support statusbar applets nor is the any mention of them in the HIG. This has prevented me from even trying to make Quick Clip work on Fremantle. An internal build of Quick Clip Viewer is working with Fremantle, but even that is semi-functional because of the Hildon PannableArea/TextView bug.

As for rebooting the device, Hildon Desktop has the bad habit of not rerunning the desktop-applet after upgrade, so this can create problems if you don't reboot (say, if you introduced a new data storage format, and the user goes to use the old version of your applet, which is still loaded in RAM, that can cause your applet to appear to not work. By rebooting, it can reduce end-user confusion). This is why most applets in Diablo/Chinook ask you to reboot.

Now if there is a mechanism is Fremantle to allow a postinst script to restart an applet, then I'll certainly opt to use that.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
Are these known bugs ( v. 0.4.5-2 ) ?
I have found that on my tablet QuickClip (0.4.5-2) has these quirks.

When looking at a QuickClip file in "view" mode :

In both scrolling modes, at the top of the file,
toggling from fullscreen jump-scrolls view to the bottom.

When in moko scrolling mode with a just opened view, at the top of the file,
also toggling to fullscreen jump-scrolls view to the bottom.

When in moko scrolling mode, at the top of a file,
a little scrolling stylus-downwards jump-scrolls view to the bottom.
( When at the bottom, a little scrolling stylus-upwords gives no such jump.)

Rename QuickClip file "A" to "B" (using QC's options menu).
View the file: The view shows an empty file.
Rename it back to "A".
View it: It is all there.

I still think QuickClip one of the best additions to tablets !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
Are these known bugs ( v. 0.4.5-2 ) ?
I have found that on my tablet QuickClip (0.4.5-2) has these quirks.

When looking at a QuickClip file in "view" mode :

In both scrolling modes, at the top of the file,
toggling from fullscreen jump-scrolls view to the bottom.

When in moko scrolling mode with a just opened view, at the top of the file,
also toggling to fullscreen jump-scrolls view to the bottom.
I believe these might be subtle GTK bugs or just odd scrolling behavior [from GTK]. I think what happens is that when you make QCV fullscreen (or any application, for that matter) the window is "redrawn" -- meaning all application controls are remapped to the screen at the new resolution. When a gtk.Textview is redrawn (that is what displays text in GTK) it wants to place the focus where the cursor is. The caveat of that is because QCV is a viewer the cursor is always in its default state (depending on the application state, either the top or bottom of the page) and is not user-moveable. Because of that, whenever you go in or out of fullscreen it wants to go to the top or bottom of the page.

In theory I could keep track of where you've scrolled and restore that position when needed, but that seems like a lot of coding to implement... (mostly because QCV supports three scrolling implementations, so three solutions needed).

When in moko scrolling mode, at the top of a file,
a little scrolling stylus-downwards jump-scrolls view to the bottom.
( When at the bottom, a little scrolling stylus-upwords gives no such jump.)
I believe you are witnessing the "slingshot" effect that the OpenMoko devs programmed into MokoUI. This "feature" is not disableable, so there is really not much I can do about that...

Rename QuickClip file "A" to "B" (using QC's options menu).
View the file: The view shows an empty file.
Rename it back to "A".
View it: It is all there.
This is a technical limitation of the current options manager. I rewrote the whole options system in QC 0.5, but unfortunately, I've been extremely busy lately and am not sure when I'll have time to finish 0.5 and release it.

I still think QuickClip one of the best additions to tablets !
Great! I'm glad you find it useful

Tags
development, python, quick clip