Active Topics

Is it just me or did nokia totally blow it?

They released the n9 and it was a totally gesture based OS, now we have sailfish, BB10, ubuntu all really being heavily influenced on the n9. People keep saying IOS needs to do something drastic because its falling behing. Android keeps trying to become more gesture based.

So nokia really does this first and does nothing with it and blows it, just like nokia. Lead the way and fail to monopolize it or continue it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
they didn't fail to monopolize it because they never even attempted to.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The possibility of a non-cloud-based sync to Evolution on other devices alone makes it very interesting & attractive for investigation.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Oh this is nice, I may have to pick up a nexus after all.

I wonder if it possible to use a docking function (ala Motorola Atrix) with ubuntu mobile?
I think that multi-device integration is EXACTLY where Ubuntu leadership is taking this party: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AyeFc...eature=related

Judging by the clips I've seen today, I think that Ubuntu looks better than many of the others at this point and has a more efficient strategy by exploiting the ubiquity of Android, but these are early stages and I'm still waiting to see what's delivered . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Let them create a stable os first instead of pushing it to all platforms...

The Following User Says Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by waldo View Post

They released the n9 and it was a totally gesture based OS, now we have sailfish, BB10, ubuntu all really being heavily influenced on the n9. People keep saying IOS needs to do something drastic because its falling behing. Android keeps trying to become more gesture based.

So nokia really does this first and does nothing with it and blows it, just like nokia. Lead the way and fail to monopolize it or continue it

Is this not true for everything in Nokia since the 2007 -> ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by waldo View Post

Nothing's new there.. Nokia have been doing this forever and with everything.. But management always effed things up.. :/

Good to see it's finally finished and ready for the masses (well, just about).

There's just one thing at the back of my mind that's saying "This will struggle to gain popularity on a huge scale".
The networks. If you've got a handset that's been purchased on with a contract then I think you're going to be left out.
I can't see the likes of T-Orange (T-Mobile & Orange), O2, 3 or Vodafone letting you completely replace their heavily customised Android O/S with all it's spammy apps links and cash grabbing services with Ubuntu Mobile.
But on the other hand, if you bought the device from a third party, then got a SIM only contract, then you're laughing.

Hope we get it for N900, because I've just got myself a second N900 for playing silly buggers with

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
Yees!

What's the last Android phone I can rememberr with a hardware keyboard?Eeeerm...Xperia x10 Mini heheheh...heh.
xperia pro was the last bloodline afaik.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Seems that we will get more information or demos at CES next week.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2013/01/02/...it-off-at-ces/

Would be nice if we could get some more info about Tizen also so one is able to compare the different options that pops up.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013