Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No, seriously; Might be left-handed, or do it just for laughs.
In any case what happens is the buttons are now in reversed order which probably is a pain anyway.

And what about holding it in portrait mode 180 degrees rotated? Does it make sense tho have dem nibblies on the top of the device??

Seriously, those buttons are just so vestigal, just get rid of 'em!
I don't know, does it? Probaly as much as fork or spoon. And while we are at it, what about holding the phone with screen down?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Probaly as much as fork or spoon.
An excellent example. The fork is the main tool, the knife is auxiliary.
Therefore I hold the fork in the dominant hand, in my case right. #unconventional!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Sound familiar...

https://www.xda-developers.com/free-...rity-for-2017/
I of course think FSF is betting on the wrong horse now but whatever, did they listen to me before, huh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I of course think FSF is betting on the wrong horse now but whatever, did they listen to me before, huh?
Not to expect too much,
but at least they seem to recognize the core issues.

Too bad they have no traction in that arena.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
In defence of Replicant, unlike Maemo and Sailfish, it is entirely free. Although I do find it a bit ironic that the FSF won't endorse the Neo900 because the baseband requires closed firmware, yet they promote Replicant which must be used on devices that have the exact same problem. runs on hardware that is more closed than the Neo900.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-01-28 at 03:35.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
In defence of Replicant, unlike Maemo and Sailfish, it is entirely free. Although I do find it a bit ironic that the FSF won't endorse the Neo900 because the baseband requires closed firmware, yet they promote Replicant which must be used on devices that have the exact same problem.
If the existing baseband chipset is closed, then I can see why they'd recommend otherwise especially since open source baseband chipsets and whatnot do exist (right?).

Will adopt a wait and see stance on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
In defence of Replicant, unlike Maemo and Sailfish, it is entirely free. Although I do find it a bit ironic that the FSF won't endorse the Neo900 because the baseband requires closed firmware, yet they promote Replicant which must be used on devices that have the exact same problem.
I cannnot see how it is entirely free if you cannot run it without blobs and closed drivers.
If you can do that, then I am really intrested!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If the existing baseband chipset is closed, then I can see why they'd recommend otherwise especially since open source baseband chipsets and whatnot do exist (right?).

Will adopt a wait and see stance on this.
I was bit hasty with my previous post, it wasn't entirely correct (now edited). The problem the FSF have with the Neo900 is that the baseband firmware is upgradable/flashable, otherwise they would treat the baseband as a dumb appliance and would not care if the firmware was closed (flawed logic in my opinion but that's another debate).

There's the OsmocomBB project for open source baseband however without regulatory approval, it's illegal to use on carrier networks in most, if not all jurisdictions.

I cannnot see how it is entirely free if you cannot run it without blobs and closed drivers.
If you can do that, then I am really intrested!
Oh it's entirely possible, but don't expect everything to work. As far as I'm aware, Replicant don't supply any blobs. They favour freedom over full functionality.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-01-28 at 03:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I was bit hasty with my previous post, it wasn't entirely correct (now edited). The problem the FSF have with the Neo900 is that the baseband firmware is upgradable/flashable, otherwise they would treat the baseband as a dumb appliance and would not care if the firmware was closed (flawed logic in my opinion but that's another debate)
I suggested to Joerg that it would be easy to fix to make a version of Neo900 that would be FSF-compliant; Just cut the traces needed for flashing the baseband, or better; put in physical jumper that could be removed.
I think that'd make it RMS-approved.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
'smarvelous, 'swonderful, latest, not greatest