Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post

Maybe SD69 was disclosing that as it was sent to more than just him? As he mentions woody sent it to a few people so seeing the s*itstorms created here for every minor thing he wants to avoid being involved in it in the future by being seen as related to woody's intentions via association?

Oh and that email doesn't smudge woody's character IMO; it just shows the lengths to which current Council are prepared to go to save the Community's future...

Anyway its water under the bridge...
Thank you for recognizing this. I did not criticize in that email. I disassociated myself.

I don't know if its water under the bridge. It may be significant in ways that are not entirely apparent yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
EDIT: at this point I believe the best solution for assets would be to see if they could be taken over by Jolla.
And who the fu.. is Jolla? Why should he/she/they take over of what belongs to the Maemo community? Come on, you can't be serious.

And why didn't you share your vision on where the assets should go a little bit earlier, not right before the end of the Board elections?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
EDIT: at this point I believe the best solution for assets would be to see if they could be taken over by Jolla.
First of all, Jolla doesn't really want Nokia's maemo (meaning here at least the Internet Tablet and N900 related) assets. That is not to say that the Foundation might not negotiate it so that Jolla ends up indirectly supporting those communities as a byproduct of some partnership or sponsorship with the Foundation.

Secondly, if you think the Foundation should not take over the assets, then you should reconsider your self-nomination to be a Director or at least clarify why you believe it would be best for the Foundation for these assets to be taken over by Jolla. Unlike maemo council, Directors will be legally obligated to always act in furtherance of the stated purpose of only the Foundation and are liable otherwise. Although the Foundation is a non-profit dedicated to maemo derived or inspired open source software, it is also a corporation and the same fiduciary responsibilities exist as in for-profit corporations.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Dear Council,

Some clarifications required again

One thing I don't seem to understand is how do the chair, secretary and treasurer get appointed?

For example, we have 3 Directors elected and all 3 desire to be chair what would the deciding factor be?

Can we expressly add that the votes a candidate garners will determine his right to a position or something like that?

Secondly, I think it needs to be defined that while a Director may hold multiple positions, the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer must be different Directors for the sake of transperancy...If the Chair was Treasurer too it would not be too healthy IMO even if realistically its not that plausible...

I apologize if the above have been covered before as I'm about to drop so didn't do much searching and thought that it would be better to put this in before the Board is finalised...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I've been here a long, long time now. Helped build the thing. We've had plenty of squabbles. But nothing like the current discouraging tenor and low level of community involvement.

[...]
because what we need now is not code(-ing), it's organizational work & that's an area where that idiotic meritocracy simply doesn't work.

i second Rob's question... are you sure you will be able to help the... directorate ¦-)))))))
seriously :|

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Edit:
Judging by responses, it's pointless to ask complicated questions. Here you have simple one, for a change:

How many people decided to vote on board (frequency)?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-10-19 at 03:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
after your demonstration of "common resources allocation" no wonder people are reticent to commit to anything

this being said, the Foundation is... the foundation of Maemo's future.
but that's something you red-neck wouldn't understand

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Must... not... hit... ignore user... button... while... serving... community...

My last day as Council can not come too soon.

FWIW: The election is over, and the ballots can be downloaded. The results aren't official yet, but the winners can be known by those who want that information rather easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And who the fu.. is Jolla? Why should he/she/they take over of what belongs to the Maemo community? Come on, you can't be serious.

And why didn't you share your vision on where the assets should go a little bit earlier, not right before the end of the Board elections?
Wow, overreact much?

The community doesn't own Nokia's property.

I'm just thinking out loud anyway.

Chill.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
First of all, Jolla doesn't really want Nokia's maemo (meaning here at least the Internet Tablet and N900 related) assets. That is not to say that the Foundation might not negotiate it so that Jolla ends up indirectly supporting those communities as a byproduct of some partnership or sponsorship with the Foundation.

Secondly, if you think the Foundation should not take over the assets, then you should reconsider your self-nomination to be a Director or at least clarify why you believe it would be best for the Foundation for these assets to be taken over by Jolla. Unlike maemo council, Directors will be legally obligated to always act in furtherance of the stated purpose of only the Foundation and are liable otherwise. Although the Foundation is a non-profit dedicated to maemo derived or inspired open source software, it is also a corporation and the same fiduciary responsibilities exist as in for-profit corporations.
Relax sport. I'm talking about Nokia's intellectual property.

But by all means, continue overreacting and taking your frustration out on me for expressing a possible option for Maemo's survival. I volunteered to run for the board to help explore possibilities-- when Tim Samoff was the only one at the time doing so. It's not like there was a huge, mad rush of candidates.

No, people are way too busy whining and fighting with each other to step up. So yeah, attack someone who did.

I think my track record supporting this community speaks for itself. But then so does the fact that a few of you are willing to lynch me for thinking maybe Jolla might offer a solution.

Unbelievable.

EDIT: you know what? It's not worth it. Strike me from the Foundation. The poison being spewed has really spoiled it for me.

Last edited by Texrat; 2012-10-19 at 04:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?