Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am a bit worried about the part "V. Meetings" as it does not in any way specify the type and place of the meetings, meaning if the meeting of the Board is to be physical or virtual.
If it is meant to be held as a physical meeting in some physical location, then there sure will be problems with the following clause;

The Board shall conduct meetings at least as often as once every three months. Any Director may call for a special board meeting, and if seconded, such special meeting shall be conducted with four (4) weeks written notice unless a shorter notice period is previously unanimously agreed between the Directors. More than 50% of the Directors need to be present (“Quorum”) at a meeting to make legally binding decisions.
I guess this will restrict the type of people that can be elected to the Board, as not everyone has the means (whether it be financical, political, etc. reasons) to attend meetings on the other side of the globe four times per year.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Please, this is not a thread to debate about the name. The domain maemo.org will be transferred by Nokia to the new legal entity, so the name is just a mere question of not using a trademark.

The important thing is the content of the document.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I am a bit worried about the part "V. Meetings" as it does not in any way specify the type and place of the meetings, meaning if the meeting of the Board is to be physical or virtual.
If it is meant to be held as a physical meeting in some physical location, then there sure will be problems with the following clause;
Yes, there is no need to held physical meetings.
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I guess this will restrict the type of people that can be elected to the Board, as not everyone has the means (whether it be financical, political, etc. reasons) to attend meetings on the other side of the globe four times per year.
For sure we won't have the finance muscle to that kind of meetings. This is just a bare minimum legal of meetings that should be organised, however is up to the Board to decide when and how (most probably, weekly IRC meetings as it's right now).

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Please, this is not a thread to debate about the name. The domain maemo.org will be transferred by Nokia to the new legal entity, so the name is just a mere question of not using a trademark.

The important thing is the content of the document.
Started a thread here:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your suggestions!

As you want to keep on topic, please see my last post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...21#post1260021

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-03 at 09:28.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
:edit:

Sorry folks - had both threads opened and posted on the wrong one. Too much coffee, combined with old age.

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2012-09-03 at 20:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
Aeolos is good, and I would like to throw "Aeris" into the hat (Latin for Wind).
This one I find good too. It's easier to say than Aeolos, which was my previous favorite.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Please, use this thread to discuss about the content of the document not about fancy names.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
As mentioned previously, discuss naming scheme here:
We need a name for the NFP entity that Maemo.org's changing to: add your suggestions!

This thread is for discussing the content of the by-laws document.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I'm not a fan of this.... The board should be allowed to pick temporary community council members, but, it should not have the right to pick community council members and executive directors for long term.
In fact, I think this was a hasty edit, and was meant to read "Community Council Liaison". I believe this clause is for creating new positions and possibly titles within the organization. Things like Treasurer, Executive Director, etc. The Board as I understand it will have no say in who is in Community Council. There may in fact be times this power is needed on the spot, for creating a new position and appointing someone to take the role. (Like a PR rep, for example, if it becomes wildly popular and thousands of wealthy people send funding, allowing us to purchase and revive Maemo... Hey, I can dream... right?)

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Any reason why the Board needs to have power to change by-laws as they so choose (pending 75% agreement), shouldn't it always remain only the providence of the community?
The wording reads " 3/4 majority of the Board and 2/3 majority of community members", not or. It requires both in order to allow for a change.

Also I see no mention of how many people are allowed to be on the Board for each 1yr term...
The initial draft stated that the initial Board would be formed based on the same rules for standing Council members. To that end, there would be 3 or 5 depending on the number of people running for a Board position. That will need to be clarified and updated. Good catch!

Just a tiny nitpick but this reads better IMO....
I agree.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-09-05 at 20:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
woody adding on from your post; shouldnt the power to change by-laws only lie with the community and not 75% board + 67% community?

Correct me if i'm wrong here...

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?