any improvement on vibro issue?

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
@iDont:
I've asked pali to change the Depends clause in kernel-power-settings package to make it compatible with other kp49 based kernels.
From now on, it'll be enough to provide kernel-feature-overclock-dsp in our kernel packages to avoid dependency problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If I install bfs-kernel now, I get a message saying kernel-power settings and kernel-power flasher will be removed and kernel-bfs-flasher will be installed. This appears to leave no way to use settings. After I did something like this, I found backupmenu didn't work, presumably because it requires kernel power settings.

Should I just reinstall kernel-power-settings? Or will that automagically remove kernel-bfs-flasher?

Edit:Yes, if I reinstall kernel-pwer settings it removes kernel-bfs-flasher.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-12-21 at 14:39.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
I won't be working on kernel-bfs anymore from now on. I'm sorry for being unresponsive in this thread lately. Truth is that I've lost all of my interest in kernel-bfs. Luckily kernel-bfs never had a large user base, eh . Anyway, one last version is on it's way, which is synchronised with kernel-power git.

If anyone wants to pick up kernel-bfs, drop me a PM.

Originally Posted by firstknight View Post
any improvement on vibro issue?
I'm afraid not. I was unable to track down the root of the issue. The issue might be caused by some system thread's timeslices getting queued up, which in turn could be the result of BFS not supporting cgroups (and therefore not Nokia's default cgroups setup), although that's just guesswork as I haven't been digging deeper lately.
A GSoC student experienced something similar while porting BFS to FreeBSD (link)

You might want to give maacruz' excellent kernel-pwck a shot if you feel like it. It's basically kernel-bfs minus the BFS scheduler. I.e. you will still be able to enjoy ck's great desktop responsiveness patches, while avoiding the issues caused by our port of the BFS scheduler.
Edit: I forgot to mention that kernel-pwck is maacruz' personal kernel build, only published because some users asked for it. Also read his disclaimer.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
If I install bfs-kernel now, I get a message saying kernel-power settings and kernel-power flasher will be removed and kernel-bfs-flasher will be installed. This appears to leave no way to use settings. After I did something like this, I found backupmenu didn't work, presumably because it requires kernel power settings.

Should I just reinstall kernel-power-settings? Or will that automagically remove kernel-bfs-flasher?

This should be fixed in the new kernel-bfs version.

Last edited by iDont; 2012-01-05 at 11:37.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I saw KERNEL-BFS 10 in the repo, anyone tried it yet ?

Any feedback before I try it as well ???

Originally Posted by iDont View Post
I won't be working on kernel-bfs anymore from now on. I'm sorry for being unresponsive in this thread lately. Truth is that I've lost all of my interest in kernel-bfs. Luckily kernel-bfs never had a large user base, eh . Anyway, one last version is on it's way, which is synchronised with kernel-power git.
If anyone wants to pick up kernel-bfs, drop me a PM.
I think it's a pity, but as my own experience with the diablo kernels shows me, a scheduler is a mighty beast.

I'm afraid not. I was unable to track down the root of the issue. The issue might be caused by some system thread's timeslices getting queued up, which in turn could be the result of BFS not supporting cgroups (and therefore not Nokia's default cgroups setup), although that's just guesswork as I haven't been digging deeper lately.
A GSoC student experienced something similar while porting BFS to FreeBSD (link)
Probably our best chance of fixing the issue would be buying a N900 for Con Kolivas as a present and hope he fixes his scheduler .
You might want to give maacruz' excellent kernel-pwck a shot if you feel like it. It's basically kernel-bfs minus the BFS scheduler. I.e. you will still be able to enjoy ck's great desktop responsiveness patches, while avoiding the issues caused by our port of the BFS scheduler.
Edit: I forgot to mention that kernel-pwck is maacruz' personal kernel build, only published because some users asked for it. Also read his disclaimer.
Thx. kernel-pwck is mostly pali+freemangordon+your work. I'm not performing any kernel maintenance work, just pick patches and add some fixes of my own, so I wanted to make that clear.

For everyone interested, I have just uploaded another build (2.6.28-10pwck2), having a set of upstream fixes (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80889)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post

You'll also need kernel-power-settings_0.13.1 from kernel-pwck, otherwise HAM will keep telling you to "upgrade" kernel-power-settings, which in turn will uninstall kernel-bfs (or pwck for that matter)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
i have kernel-bfs 10 and kernel omap in multiboot. i want to uninstall kernel-bfs, what is the correct procedure? just click on the uninstall-kernel icon in the menu? but using kernel bfs or omap?

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
i have kernel-bfs 10 and kernel omap in multiboot. i want to uninstall kernel-bfs, what is the correct procedure? just click on the uninstall-kernel icon in the menu? but using kernel bfs or omap?
Running "Uninstall Kernel-BFS" will restore the default Nokia kernel (omap). After successfully restoring Nokia's kernel, you can safely remove all kernel-bfs related packages from your device.

You can also follow kernel-power's wiki, since we're just kernel-power + additional patches: http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Deinstallation.

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
You can also follow kernel-power's wiki, since we're just kernel-power + additional patches: http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Deinstallation.
[AD]

Any chance to join kernel-power team?

The same question to everyone who feels s/he can contribute.

[/AD]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: