The n900 has been at the top of my wish list since I've first heard about it, but my biggest fear is what kind of coverage I'll get with T-mobile. Does anyone currently use T-Mobile in the RI/Mass area? The voice coverage looks decent, but 3G seems to be really spotty on the coverage map, especially once you start getting away from the main cities. I live about 30 miles west of Boston, right around the line between edge/3G.

I know I could always buy a prepaid phone to test out voice, but I was looking for anyone with experience keeping a 3G signal on say 95 or 495.

Thanks!

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Rhode Island
From RI and live in the Providence area and I have noticed some back and forth between 3G and 2G (even in the same location). Coverage is pretty good though. For me it 3G doesn't matter too much. I have WiFi at work/school and in my house which are the places I use the phone the most (and where I spend most my time) so I don't really notice the 3G/2G change on 95 when I am driving around. You should find a friend that happens to have Tmo and see if you could borrow their phone or follow them around for a day.

I've been trying to find someone I know with T-Mobile for the past 2 months, but so far everyone I asked is either Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint. I wasn't even sure T-Mobile really existed except on commercials

I spend a lot of time traveling from my house to either northern MA, or down to RI, so I was hoping coverage would be pretty solid along the highways. How are the speeds even with 2G? Still decent? I haven't owned a smartphone before, so I'm not really sure how big of a real world effect it is for something like web browsing over 2G or 3G.

Thanks again for the info.

Weird, you're 30 miles west of Boston? Anywhere near Hopedale? That's where I currently am. I don't have a 3G phone yet (well a 1700 band 3G phone anyway...). I've only found a few drop spots for calls on 495 and a couple on 95 but nothing too extreme. I can't necessarily speak to the 3G coverage yet (will once dell ships my n900!).

According to the coverage map it looks pretty good but you're right outside of the main cities and too far west it drops off.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Im in Somerville and have terrific 3g coverage in town and at home. I travel for work and have little issue (i was in Boston, DC, Dallas, and Austin today with no gaps in coverage)

No kidding, I'm actually in Upton.

When I put in my zipcode on T-Mobile's website, it actually says my area isn't supported, but both the 3G/voice maps show coverage at my house, and Hopkinton right next door is supported. I don't really care about 3G at my house with wifi, as long as voice comes in.

Thanks for the feedback, seems like the coverage maps make it scarier than it actually is. Feel crazy dropping $600 on a phone I haven't been able to demo, and a network I have no experience with

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
Im in Somerville and have terrific 3g coverage in town and at home. I travel for work and have little issue (i was in Boston, DC, Dallas, and Austin today with no gaps in coverage)
Have you experienced a speed bump since last week, like some people from other cities?