Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The good news is that there are currently 10 votes.

Could Jaffa's proposal described above be posted as solution? Technically I could do it myself but I'm noticing that some people imagine some kind of Nokia endorsement (or my endorsement) in the proposals I cop&paste.
He gives multiple solutions in his post. The first does not address the second case i present in the original problem (many apps, single add-on). The second does not describe in any detail the nature of the solution. These could be combined in some way to give a more complete solution, but more details are required and i'd rather have him fill them in.

I'd like to have other, complete solutions, and would welcome proposed solutions that qualify, but i'm not going to add solutions to my brainstorm that don't fully solve it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Think also that even when the brainstorm talks about the Hildon Application Manager, major changes will come in Harmattan, where there is no Hildon and therefore the code writing starts basically from scratch.

Perhaps the lack of participation is related to the length of the brainstorm proposal? If you would basically say: "How to find the right software for you in a catalog of thousands of apps?" then people would get the idea easier and would come up with more proposals.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Unless and until it is confirmed that Harmattan will be available for N900, this isn't really about the HAM replacement. This proposal is about improving HAM because that's what we have and use and will be for as long as N900 is limited to Fremantle. One would hope that the QT replacement will use whatever mechanism we decide on here and possibly even improve on it, but the point of this proposal is to get things moving in the necessary direction while there's still time to do so. While fixing this problem in Harmattan is important, i was kind of hoping we N900 users wouldn't be thrown to the wolves in something as central to the platform as the app repo is.

If i simplify the problem to the degree you are describing, won't this turn into a meta-Brainstorm about improving HAM, instead of a focused problem with a focused solution that has some chance of seeing the light of day in Fremantle?

Edit: I added an executive summary to the Brainstorm as follows:
Executive summary: App Manager doesn't provide a way to manage add-ons and associate their packages with apps. Instead, they appear in the listing with full apps. This leads to bloated, long listings of apps to install that contain non-apps.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-28 at 15:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: