Active Topics

@mederyt: Please don't hijack a thread. Your issue is utterly off-topic for this thread. Please open a separate thread, or, even better, search any of the many threads describing upgrade issues.

Nooooooo heeeeeeyyyyy i got a big troubleeeee...
My n900 doenst work is like some virus got into...........how can i restar the device somebody helpppp meeeeeeeeeeeee pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Search for 'reflash' or similar in the wiki. (wiki.maemo.org)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ On the Milky Way
Hey guys. I have a question.
I wanna reflash the eMMC with vanilla image.
Somewhere in the d/l page it sais: DON'T REBOOT betwin FIASCO AND eMMC.
On wiki, in update FW tutorial, the command line ends with -R. Witch means REBOOT. What if i remove the -R command, and after he finishes to update, i enter the command for eMMC?
This is how should i do, or this is a bad ideea?
Best wishes.
Maxy

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
The printed guide was brilliant when it came to getting the back cover off to insert the battery ... havn't looked at it since!
I didn't even need it for that. I watched the sales advisor in the shop open the demo model.
I'm normally pretty proficient at finding my way around a new gadget with very little time spent with my head buried in the manual.

I did download the user guide to print out for future reference. Now just saving up for the printer cartridges.

It's certainly not a device for technophobes who just can't be bothered to read the first page though. (Like my dad)

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
I don't know if this feedback is still necessary, but i will give it anyway.

Originally Posted by HSuhonen View Post
[*]How would you rate the current support offering for N900, in your own words? Please give your evaluation separately for a) the printed Get started guide, b) the in-device User guide (you can access it through File manager > Documents > User guides), and c) the User guide PDF on the Nokia Support site.
a) my phone didn't had a printed user guide. i can understand why, but it would be good to have one. it is still a different to have something printed or in digital form.
b) if you don't know that there is an user guide you won't find it. there have to be either a dedicated help menu or at least a short cut to it on the home screen and in the program menu (or somewhere else in addition to the home screen).
c) that just let me ask why doesn't you serve the phone with a cd and the user guide on it? i know it will be outdated somewhen but it would be cool to have something to search in with an PDF viewer

[*]What’s your opinion on the current concept of providing end user documentation, that is, a short, printed get started guide in the sales box, and the longer guides available on the web and in-device? Do you expect Nokia to provide a longer User guide in the sales box, or is the Get started guide enough?
you should add both or at least allow the customer to order the longer user guide for free in printed form.
I can understand that nowadays only a limited number of people read these long guides, but for some of them it is important to have it. even the short starter guide is mostly ignored, but it is still better then nothing.

[*]Maemo 5 doesn't have a help framework. What’s your opinion, should there be one for Maemo 6? What would an ideal help system be in your opinion?
yes there is a need for that. the system should be integrated into the system, not a stand alone program. maybe something that is customisable. i could think of a daemon that runs at the background and wait till the user stops at some point where some kind of input is expected. then (after a user selectable time) some help text pops up and display a text message of what is expected now or what could be done now by the user... in addition to that there should also be a searchable database where the user can enter either single words or whole questions to get an answer to his problem.

[*]And finally, how do you see the role of the Maemo community in providing end-user support? Do you think the community could be more involved in the process of making the User guides (for example, as a content reviewer)? What would, in your opinion, be a good solution for the community to get involved?
a community is clearly not there to replace a proper customer help desk. a community is to help users with unusual problems and to inspire the producing company with ideas for new products or how the existing products can be improved. in case of the Maemo community for example to show what kind of programs are needed by the users.
the community can also give feedbacks where problem exists. if you read for example 3 times a week "heck how can i turn off this blinking light at the corner of the screen?" then there is a clear lack of knowledge what this light is good for. this could be solved by a proper help system inside the product or by writing and drawing it into a quick starter guide.
letting the community act as a reviewer of a manual is maybe the wrong way. inside a community are normally interested users who have some sort of knowledge about the product and the number of new users who doesn't know anything about the product (the people who should read the manual) are either not present, or they think they doesn't have enough experience to participate in such a review process.
_BUT_ if new user are ask specifically and directly some days after applying to a community they could give some feed back about the user guide. if they read it, if they found something confusing or what they miss in it.

Tervehdys !

N900 päivitystarpeet

Ohjelmat

1. Flash Player 10
2. Java
3. Office ohjelma
4. Navigaattori jossa on opasteet ja Suomen kielinen opastus
5. Ohjelmien automaattinen päivitysohjelma
6. Omien ohjelmien latausmahdollisuus

Käyttö

1. Tekstiviestin vastaanottajan etsintä. samanlaiseksi kuin puhelin
numeron etsintä puhelimen ollessa pystyasennossa.
2. Pikakuvakkeiden koon suurentamismahdollisuus
3. Puhelutietojen tarkistusmahdollisuus samanlaiseksi kuin normi kännyköissä.
Soittokerrat ja ajat, tallennetun puhelinnumeron ja tietojen muokkausmahdollisuus.
4. Puhelutietojen fontin koon suurentamisen mahdollisuus. kts. mihin aikaan
joku oli soittanut sinulle.
5. Puhelutiedot pitää eritellä omiin ns. kansioihin saapuneet, vastatut ja vastaamatta jääneet.
Nyt lista menee pitkäksi ja sekaiseksi.
6. Ohjelman automaattikäynnistys tiedostonimeä klikkaamalla. esim. sähköpostin
liitetiedosto. koffice wiever ei käynnisty (doc tiedosto).
7. Päivitysohjelmapaketin lataus pitää ohjelmoida niin että käyttäjän asetukset eivät tuhoudu.
Nyt viime päivityspaketti poisti kaikki.

Tuki

1. Mihin numeroon voi soittaa tai mihin sähköpostiosoitteeseen voi lähettää, jos on kysyttävää puhelimesta. Vastaavanlailla kuin Microsoftilla.
2. Ladattavien ohjelmien käyttöohjeet. Mistä ne on saatavissa Suomeksi.
3. Mistä saa tietää tärkeiden päivitysten aikataulun ja mitä on tulossa.

Printed "Get Started Guide"
Well done.
In-Device User Guide
I don't like reading pdfs on a micro-display. I prefer printed manuals or/and downloadable pdfs for my PC.
Concept
I don't like this concept. If I purchase a high-priced device I expect a complete handbook to read during times where no technical device is available.
For me this is part of the emotional experience. I like the feeling of paper and a heavy-weight handbook.
Help Framework
No need for this. I don't like and use inline help on mobile devices. Same argument as for In-Device-User-Guide. I even don't use onlinehelp at the PC - since I got internet over a decade ago Google is faster (and for the most part more informative) than any onlinehelp.
Applications for mobile devices should be designed with ease of use in focus - there simply should be no need for onlinehelp.
Btw. this doesn't exclude printed handbooks. These handbooks could explain the more advanced _workflows_ (and include the simple step-by-step-approach for new users).
Maemo Community
Active communities are the best source of information. A good wiki is more valuable than any handbook or could be a good enhancement.

Hi all,

We at Nokia Care would like to hear your feedback on the Nokia N900 User guides and Get started guide. Your feedback will be valuable when making User guide updates for the next software releases and also when planning the User guide content for the next Maemo device. This is purely an informal feedback thread, as I'm also interested in learning how the Maemo community sees the role of end-user documentation in general for Maemo devices.

My questions are the following:
  1. How would you rate the current support offering for N900, in your own words? Please give your evaluation separately for a) the printed Get started guide, b) the in-device User guide (you can access it through File manager > Documents > User guides), and c) the User guide PDF on the Nokia Support site.
  2. What’s your opinion on the current concept of providing end user documentation, that is, a short, printed get started guide in the sales box, and the longer guides available on the web and in-device? Do you expect Nokia to provide a longer User guide in the sales box, or is the Get started guide enough?
  3. Maemo 5 doesn't have a help framework. What’s your opinion, should there be one for Maemo 6? What would an ideal help system be in your opinion?
  4. And finally, how do you see the role of the Maemo community in providing end-user support? Do you think the community could be more involved in the process of making the User guides (for example, as a content reviewer)? What would, in your opinion, be a good solution for the community to get involved?

Of course, any other feedback (or suggestion) is very welcome : )

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Best regards,

Harri Suhonen
Nokia Care

PS. Please note that if you find any bugs in the User guide or Get started guide, please report them in Bugzilla (Under User guide & Help content), so that we get all the possible bugs fixed in time.
HI Harri,

I have recently purchased a N900 - but my e-mail isnt working.
I have a msn e-mail account.
Do you have any ideas or advise to get this working?

Please e-mail me back on farukhhussain@msn.com

Thank you
Farukh

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
HI Harri,

I have recently purchased a N900 - but my e-mail isnt working.
I have a msn e-mail account.
Do you have any ideas or advise to get this working?

Please e-mail me back on farukhhussain@msn.com

Thank you
Farukh
I´m sorry. As you can probably see from the topic we are discussing here about offical user guides. You can post your question here:
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ces/bd-p/maemo
Offical Nokia support channel or you can try your luck here maemo (unoffical community based forum):
http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41

But I would advise to at least include following to your next posting:
- What device you have
- What do you mean by your e-mail is not working? Do you mean e-mail client on your device is not working and if so what have you already done and what happens when you try to use it.