Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Per the subject, this is my dilemma. I suspect I need to reflash, I'm currently running Kernel Power .46. It would just so happen that I am at the airport and I did not bring my USB/micro-USB cable that came with my N900. I purchased one in the airport but it's not fitting. Is there a specific type of micro-USB cable I need that will fit my N900?

Once or if I am able to obtain a proper cable, which files and steps do I need to follow to resurrect my N900? At this point I don't care if I lose my apps / data, I just need my so-called tablet phone to work.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Hi JayBEE, I'm sorry to hear that. If you haven't been reflashing your N900, there are few things you'd like to check first beforehand:

1) The article for reflashing your N900 is here, you'd like to read it first
2) Check the OS version of your laptop or PC. If the Windows OS version is anything other than XP, you'd like to read this section. For example, if you're using Windows 7 you'd like to download and install Windows XP Mode where you can get it free here
3) Download and install the flasher here
4) Download the ROM and eMMC image here and put them under the same directory of the flasher
5) Follow the instructions as in the link of step 2 above.

Hope this helps and wish you good luck.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Hi JayBEE, I'm sorry to hear that. If you haven't been reflashing your N900, there are few things you'd like to check first beforehand:

1) The article for reflashing your N900 is here, you'd like to read it first
Cool, I was already there, thank you very much for confirming that.

2) Check the OS version of your laptop or PC. If the Windows OS version is anything other than XP, you'd like to read this section. For example, if you're using Windows 7 you'd like to download and install Windows XP Mode where you can get it free here
Shhh... don't tell anyone, but I'm running Windows. XP in particular.

3) Download and install the flasher here
Already done.

4) Download the ROM and eMMC image here and put them under the same directory of the flasher
Ok, I did not get the eMMC image, but will do so, thanks again!

5) Follow the instructions as in the link of step 2 above.

Hope this helps and wish you good luck.
Thanks so much! All I need now is a micro-usb 2 usb cable that works with the N900. I hope Fry's in Las Vegas has this!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There are two kinds of usb to mini type cables. The old one is a bit fatter on the end that would connect to your N900, and that's probably what you bought. The newer one, which should be quite common, is flatter on the end that connects with your N900.

You probably need to reflash. You can follow Nokia's instructions for updating your software or there are instructions here at wiki.maemo.org on the same subject. There are also a zillion threads on the same topic.

Flashing is quite easy, but learning exactly how to do it may take some patience. Some people have problems doing it with 64-bit Windows 7, but it has worked ok for me.

PS: I just read your latest reply. Yes, Frys will have it.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-01-06 at 01:37.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did you try to take out the battery, let the n900 rest a minute, then put in the battery and try to restart the phone?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I'm curious how Tweego could make your phone go into a reboot loop. I know your immediate concern is to fix your problem but if you can share any details I'm sure some would be interested. Good luck.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I'm curious how Tweego could make your phone go into a reboot loop. I know your immediate concern is to fix your problem but if you can share any details I'm sure some would be interested. Good luck.
Tweego was the last program I was using before my N900 crashed. I using Tweego and was on a train going through a tunnel, which supposedly had internet connectivity, the only other program I had up was Firefox. I told Tweego to do a refresh and during its operation the phone crashed, and in this case when it crashed, the phone shutoff. I haven't been able to boot up the phone since. I'm attempting to flash it now. If you feel that something else caused this, let me know. I'm more than willing to change the subject of this thread to fit the cause to my woes.

i have WD western digital portable hard drive, and it has the same cable as N900
btw cables called Nokia CA-101

I managed to find a proper cable. But now I am unable to boot into USB mode, by pressing 'u' during bootup. It will not come out of reboot loop. I suspect the battery doesn't have enough charge. Just how long do I need to keep the battery out before trying again?

Originally Posted by JayBEE View Post
I managed to find a proper cable. But now I am unable to boot into USB mode, by pressing 'u' during bootup. It will not come out of reboot loop. I suspect the battery doesn't have enough charge. Just how long do I need to keep the battery out before trying again?
try this
run all the commands in cmd, when it says "waiting for a suitable device"
take the battery out of your phone - connect the cable to your phone - hold the U key - put the battery in (keep holding the U key)
and wait for the magic