Poll: Will you buy the meego phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the meego phone?

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Dear all,

as a nokia fan since my first mobile phone i am, like many others, disappointed about what happend last "black friday".

Now nokia isnt the same anymore. It was a traditional european company with good ideas, but made a few mistakes in the past. Now, nokia opened a "second" headquarter in the silicon valley, a lot of people will be fired in finland, a lot of people will be hired in america. after very few years the american headquarter will be the first headquarter, because i dont belive that elop will have his main bureau in finland when its possible to have lunch with his friends at ms. in the future nokia will be a new sub-company of ms. Why? First came elop and now the new ceo of nokias america division is a ms guy too... seriously, is this what the board really wants? or the nokia customers all around the world? getting an american company? is anybody still believing that nokia will keep being an finish company anymore? i dont belive that.

I still stand behind meego, so i have an idea what we can do to rescue it... maybe its a fight against windmills... maybe not...

The plan:
Buy the new meego phone when its available!
Dont buy anything with wp7 inside!

If more meego phones would be sold then wp7, the board and elop maybe realises what they did wrong.

As a tribute to all people at nokia who worked on meego and to show elop that he is wrong, i will do it and buy the meego phone and use it as long as possible.
After it i have to search for something else, but nothing with google, apple or ms inside. Maybe webos, but that will show the future.

Who is with me?

Brock
-former nokia fanatic-

Last edited by Brock; 2011-02-13 at 20:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Agreed, Voted

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Not me go intel

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
I am going to buy the first Meego phone, even though we don't actually know Nokia's Meego device will be a phone, and even if it's a giant hulking turd. Because I think the best way to express my disappointment at the Nokia Microsoft alliance is to give them my hard-earned money.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:
If Nokia releases a Meego phone that can compete with iOs and Android.. it will sell.

The tech blogs will rave about it, word of mouth will spread and it will sell like crazy...

But to sell like crazy (mass market), it has to
- UI has to be buttery smooth
- the maps app like has be as good as google maps (smooth UI, 95% accuracy in search results)
- out of box apps, facebook, youtube, email, twitter, internet radio have to polished
- dev support out of the gate, docs and apps to write apps from windows, linux, mac

If its none of the above, it becomes plainly obvious why Elop had to make the swtch (i.e Nokia engineering first (who cares about usability) culture simply cannot be changed)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Honestly I need a proper phone after the N900, not another dev. device. Was sooo looking forward to meego, but now I'll buy anything that suits me. Likely Android. Not wp7 for sure in its current state.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
No way I'm going to spend another couple of hundred Euros just for the sake of proving some CEO of a multi-billion-company wrong. Not going to happen.

I will continue to enjoy my N900 as long as it lasts and after that, I'll buy whatever decent phone comes across.

Mind you: this is not the end of the world.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BigLebowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Elop, being Microsoft's henchman, wouldn't care even if the MeeGo device sold millions. He has assimilated Nokia into Microsoft ecosystem so there's no turning back now.

Last edited by joppu; 2011-02-13 at 16:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Buy the new meego phone when its available!
You may be assuming too much. All that was said was that "Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product", and that may end up being a netbook, tablet or even just a t-shirt.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
sooo you think that is so easy I am sorry but Meego/Qt is doomed inside Nokia. The small group behind Qt/Meego will be the entusiastsx that cant be bought by the new Microsoft maffia. Every engineers inside Nokia will probadlyy get higher money worrfking on ,NET instead.

so if you buy tjhat Meego phone it will be less functional than n900 is my guess. Microsoft would never ever let Medego get a chance compete...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, f*ck whitey