i have among my many toys an asus eee pad and one of the features i really enjoy is when you play a track,video or view picture you have the option to 'play to' a network device such as my viera TV.
firstly,i have no idea what technology it is using to be able to do this? and secondly and more importantly,can my n900 do it??
the asus works extremely well doing this but one feature it doesnt allow is to search for another track whilst playing one,it simply ends the song,would be awesome if the 900 could do both...
heres hoping you guys know of something that enables this on my beloved n900

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
try mediabox, i think it has this feature.

hmm i installed it and it does have an option for 'media renderers' but only comes up with'local' and has no effect on the tv

Hi stew-b. I've never heard of this "play to" feature but I'm guessing it's based on DLNA. With DLNA you can select your N900 media files from the DLNA certified TV so it's more "play from" than "play to" but it still achieves the same thing. You can set your N900 as a DLNA server here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71597

i dont think this is possible yes,you can make the 900 appear as a dlna server but i still have to use the eee pad to play it to the tv.
this is the eee pad play to option im talking about,guess its an android thing
Attached Images

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ sofia, bulgaria
zhaan is media controller for N900. I use it from time to time, but looking at Android/iOS world it could be better....

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by lidow View Post
zhaan is media controller for N900. I use it from time to time, but looking at Android/iOS world it could be better....
Only spent ten minutes on it, but never got Zhaan to work with my Bravia. Ended up digging out an old ZTE Blade and using a UPNP client on that (and also the Bravia app which is half-decent).

zhann works exactly as i wished for and controls the tv BUT tv says for every single file'cannot read file' noooo!!! so close...

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by stew-b View Post
zhann works exactly as i wished for and controls the tv BUT tv says for every single file'cannot read file' noooo!!! so close...
I had no end of problems getting a decent transcoding DNLA server that didn't have random errors.

PS3Mediaserver was working great for a while, but I ran into issues with metadata refreshing. In the end, I moved to Serviio (http://www.serviio.org/) which does the whole job with the minimum of fuss (even copes admirably with my 360).

This should sort out your cannot read file issues, assuming the issue is codec-related.

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
I had no end of problems getting a decent transcoding DNLA server that didn't have random errors.

PS3Mediaserver was working great for a while, but I ran into issues with metadata refreshing. In the end, I moved to Serviio (http://www.serviio.org/) which does the whole job with the minimum of fuss (even copes admirably with my 360).

This should sort out your cannot read file issues, assuming the issue is codec-related.
this doesnt work on the n900 though surely?